“Average hotel charging above average prices”
Review of Bobsleigh Hotel

Bobsleigh Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Hemel Hempstead
“Average hotel charging above average prices”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed here for 3 days whilst working nights locally.

CHECK IN.
On arrival receptionist took 20 mins to check 2 of us in. The other 4 took a further 30mins.

BREAKFAST.
The buffet bar didn't seem to be changed as often as should as in food being used day after day if not eaten. The cooked breakfast, even though they use good quality produce (sausage bacon and eggs) the portion size is way too small. Bigger portions would have saved the breakfast. On some occasions the sausages were still cold. Big let down! Our breakfast came with price of room and I'm glad because if I'd had to pay £15.00 for the breakfast I would have been very very very disappointed and would have asked for money back

THE STAFF.
The staff were polite but very slow in dealing with your requests. Mostly foreign so have to repeat yourself with the language barrier but very cheery! The manager wasn't that helpful when asked by her staff for help saying "I don't know what you want me to do"before walking off back to office! I felt sorry for the staff working for her! !!

THE ROOMS.
Yes the rooms are a bit outdated but they were clean. Needs a bit of redecorating but I can live with that. Hot tap in bathroom should be labeled BOILING (but I like that) and cold tap was warm! Strange. Beef was comfy and room was warm. There is tea and coffee making facilities in every room and if you would like fresh milk you can contact room service free of charge. Also free ice from room service also. Wifi is BT Openzone so if you don't use bt or o2 then there is a £10 charge much to my dismay.

OVERALL.
Can't say I'd like to stay here again and would only do so if nothing else available! Staff are friendly but major changes needed.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank joelthom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Not sure this hotel should be showing three stars! After booking in and getting our key our first let down came as we were told the way to our room was outside and up rusty metal stairs shabbily covered with plastic. Our room was indeed ready for a makeover, wallpaper starting to come off, very dated. The TV had a very poor reception, difficult to watch. The bathroom had an odour of drains and the toilet wouldn't always flush, bath sealant needs replacing. At breakfast which was in the restaurant, we noticed all the chairs were stained showing a lack of care. The food was nice but the tables weren't being cleared and we had to wait for a clean one. As it's a MacDonald hotel we expected better, we have paid less and got more in a Premier Inn!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed there for two nights. It's OK but nothing memorable. It's clean and comfortable and reasonably friendly. The room was acceptable but could have been warmer and the radiator in the bathroom didn't work. The food in the restaurant is good but overpriced - I suspect that the breakfast sausages also appear in the 'sausage and mash' dinner. Some of the staff do not have a good command of English which made communication difficult.

I would stay there again but I'm in no rush!

Room Tip: Near reception - the hotel is a labyrinth of narrow corridors
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

As it said above, better than we expected. The bedrooms were very nice, the sheets were lovely and crisp & white. Good size room, excellent breakfast, could not falt that, at all. There was plenty of eating places around, if you did not want to eat at the hotel, I must say, we did not eat there, but all the food in the evening, looked very good, what was being served to other guests, where we were sitting, and an excellent choice, and reasonable price. Yes we would stay there again, some of the reports were very nit picking, I thought.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start. Easy. Don't ever go there! The hotel is very tired and need of a makeover. The toilet downstairs is falling apart, the paint work is flaking everywhere. The suites (something of a Mis statement as they are not really suites) have a spa bath, but looking at the Stains in ours I would not want to bath in it and that's if the hot water ever comes through. The receptionist told me to run it for 5 minutes and then it will come through. A plug I spotted was dangerously broken, the windows don't lock correctly.

We had booked DBB, however hidden in the terms if states that the dinner is only for adults and kids are charged at the full extra price.

We went for breakfast on day one to find that (£17.50 if you actually buy it separately) there were no croissants left and no more would be made. Your to late!

Then on our second night we booked a table for 830, we turned up at 815 to be told that the table was not ready and to come back at 830, at 830 they then told us that we would not be served until 9 as a large party had just been seated. So we left and and ate elsewhere, sadly as I write this I know that I will have to endure there breakfast in the morning.

I didn't believe the other reviews but they are correct. Beware of this place, pay more for a real hotel or save your money and go to a premier inn or even a travel lodge at least with them you expect lower standards and pay a lower price for them.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Fore F

Travelers are raving about these Hemel Hempstead hotels

bristol
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night in March 2013. We received a pleasant welcome from the receptionist who was very helpful and friendly. Our room: ok so the decor is from the 1980's and it is tired with bits of wallpaper coming off in a few places, but it has to be said that the room was a very good size compared to others I have stayed in (we were in room 48). The bathroom was clean and a bit dated also. We had a few drinks from the bar and also some food, which was nice, albeit a bit pricey. The hotel is classifies as 3 stars and I would agree with this. So to sum up - I would say that the hotel is average, but the staff are very good.

Room Tip: We had room 48 which was a good size.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

The room was awful. Very dated decor, wardrobe door hanging off and cold tap didn't work. Shower changed temperature and radiator was stuck on so room was like a sauna all night. The bar staff were friendly but food and drink were well over priced for the quality. Would not stay here again. Nothing about the hotel was even satisfactory.
For £69 and over priced extras it was a complete rip off. Take my advice and stay at a premier inn. It'll be worth the difference.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple