“Excellent meal for a birthday celebration”
Review of Chiang Mai Cottage

Chiang Mai Cottage
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is quaint and cosy. We were greeted nicely and quickly seated. I've been here before but this is the first time for a whole I've eaten on the gourmet £9.95 special. This offers a starter, main, rice/noodle, side and coffee. The portions are slightly smaller than on main menu but provide plenty to eat. Excellent value and no bill issues for a large group at the end.
The food was well cooked and spicy. Curries proved popular but sweet and sour also provided an option for those not wanting the 'heat'. Recommend the Thai beef salad and spring rolls as starters. Pad Thai was also tasty.
Service efficient and not invasive.
A good night out was had by all.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a gem of a restaurant in a very old and quirky building. Having been on numerous occasions the food and service have always been excellent. I particularly recommend the mixed seafood starter (which includes soft shell crab) and the main fish courses. The gourmet night on a Monday represents particularly good value for money. My only slight criticism is that I would prefer proper napkins rather than paper ones, but the service is so pleasant and nothing is too much trouble that I think this lovely restaurant is well deserving of 5 stars.

1  Thank StAlbansSue
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I went here in December for an evening meal having read very good reviews about the place, We had a very nice set meal for two. There was a good variety of dishes which were presented well. he attentive service was another plus in this restaurant. We also liked the friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We met family here as it was a central location for all of us and we picked it as it was rated no.1 for the location. We had the set menu for lunch which is really reasonably priced at £6.95 for two courses or £7.95 for three courses. The waiter that served us was really friendly and made us feel very welcome. I have to say that for lunch we were pleased. My husband and I regularly eat Thai food in one of our local restaurants in Rothwell so we had certain expectations of the food. Overall the food was well cooked and the portions were reasonable. I would expect that the a la carte menu to be better, but have not sampled it. They let our daughter pick a starter and noodles from the a la carte menu and charged the same as if she had had the set menu which was really decent of them. For the four of us the meal came to £52 which included 6 bottles of beer, 2 fruit juices and 2 coffees. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We first we to Chiangmai a few years ago not long after it opened and were very disappointed. The meals we ordered back then all tasted very sweet and not at all home made and we hadn't wanted to go back again after that experience. However, after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and as it is local, we decided to give it another try.
The welcome was warm and friendly, the general atmosphere in the restaurant was cosy and the staff were all attentive, but, not overbearing. We ordered the shredded duck starter, which was nice enough, although there was a lot of shredded salad with quite a small amount of duck. For mains we had a Red Thai lamb curry which had good flavour, but, again you had to search for the lamb. A chicken dish with chilli, which was o.k. and some stir fried green vegetables in soya sauce which was really salty, the veg were rock hard and so heavily laced with garlic that we put ourselves in quarantine for the next day! We were offered complimentary drinks before we left and were given a soap carved by the chef, both nice touches, but, perhaps the chef's time would be better spent on tasting and refining the food he/she serves. I don't think that we will be rushing back again to this restaurant.