“Good food close to M25”

Conservatory Restaurant @ Boxmoor Lodge
Reserve with OpenTable
Conservatory Restaurant @ Boxmoor Lodge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 164 Restaurants in Hemel Hempstead
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Conservatory Restaurant, at the delightful Boxmoor Lodge in Hemel Hempstead, is a friendly, family owned business with an exceptional modern British menu. The light-filled dining room has crisp linens, garden views and fresh flowers, and the service is faultless. The Head Chef at Boxmoor Lodge, Stuart Ambury, oversees a kitchen that prides itself on high-quality GM free ingredients and creative presentation. Starters such as a fine Crisp tempura tiger prawns, mango & mint salad with ponzu dipping sauce or Baked fresh figs with Cumbrian dry aged ham, celeriac remoulade and port syrup are bound to tempt you. And the main course selection includes some mouth watering treats like the roasted rack of lamb,beautifully presented with pea puree, fresh peas & lamb essence, the lamb is cooked just right, very succulent and seasoned well. Then there is also the local Aylesbury duckling from Mr Waller, using the breast which is roasted perfectly pink with a crispy skin, crisp leg croquette with a rich orange & honey sauce. The restaurant also has a wonderful wine list and a superb outside dining area for the alfresco experience.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This small hotel in only minutes from the M25 near Hemel Hempstead but the heart of the countryside is close by a short walk further up Felden Lane. Though here on business, I was very pleasantly surprised by the high standard of the food. Both the sea bream and chocolate fondant with honeycomb ice cream for dinner were very good and the two cooked breakfasts were excellent, as was the nut muesli which was the best I have had anywhere.

Good value too at under £30 for two courses, a drink and coffee.

2  Thank Trevor S
There are newer reviews for Conservatory Restaurant @ Boxmoor Lodge

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We recently visited The Conservatory Restaurant at Boxmoor Lodge after receiving a menu through our door, encouraging local residents in Boxmoor and Felden to come and try the new menu.

For a long time we had been meaning to visit and we were very pleased that we did. The staff were extremely professional and attentive and the menu was very well put together. I am struggling to think of anywhere else in Hemel Hempstead that offers such good quality food, much of it locally sourced, and presented to such a high standard.

The Conservatory Restaurant offers a more upscale dining experience than some of the better gastropubs in the County and for us compares favourably to places like Darcy's in St Albans and St James in Bushey.

We shall certainly be returning very soon and I am confident that the restaurant will continue to build on a very sound first impression that it has made upon us.

2  Thank Marc P
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Recently had a meal at boxmoor lodge, prawn cocktail was spot on followed by a perfectly cooked sirloin steak with a wonderful pepper sauce, desert was delicious also. British food at its best in the delightful conservatory restaurant.

1  Thank Paultm65
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We are so pleased to have found this hotel. It is easily accessed from the M25 and is well worth a visit. The atmosphere is relaxed and the staff are friendly and courteous. The food is beautifully presented and tastes as good as it looks.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant.

1  Thank Jacqui F
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I went as part of a group booking with work for Christmas. We paid £35 each for the 3 courses, excluding drinks of course. I was really looking forward to it as I thought it would be brilliant and also for what they charged.

It was a set menu with many choices which everyone has picked beforehand. For me the pork terrine was fine, if not a bit boring, lacking slightly in taste and texture.

However the main disappointment was the turkey. It was simply three flimsy slices of turkey, with some boiled vegetables and a couple of lack lustre roast potatoes. The gravy was tasteless and fairly watery. The whole dish reminds me strongly of my old school dinner. It lacks any finesse, and does not even reach the standard of the Fishery pub restaurant across the road!

Finally came a very small Christmas pudding with some synthetic custard, which was again disappointing.

All in all it would have been fine if I had not paid so much, and the fact that many local restaurants charge much less for their Christmas meals for much better food.

I am afraid that in spite of its reputation, I would never go back there again after this first visit to this restaurant/hotel.

2  Thank Globetrotter430
325hicks, Owner at Conservatory Restaurant @ Boxmoor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

I am very sorry to read your comments, I have taken your comments on board and communicated with our team for our Christmas de-brief. We have recently made some changes to our kitchen team and the forthcoming Christmas menu for 2013. Again we are very sorry about your disappointing experience, let me assure you that this is not a common occurrence and I hope that you would give us another opportunity to show you a real Boxmoor Lodge dining experience in the future.