“Very tired and run down” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Olde Kings Arms

and 1 more site!
The Olde Kings Arms
Whitley Bay
“Very tired and run down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

Booked for me by my employer as slightly cheaper than Holiday Inn (although I think Holiday Inn would have done a deal if asked) booked in advance for B & B and evening meal. On arrival there was no record of my booking it turns out that it was booked with previous manager who had left the day before got that sorted and found they did not now do evening meals "great when its valentines day and every where is busy" I was informed that I was the only one staying there that night 2wonder why". Shown to my downstairs room which was small dark and smelt damp the kettle was furred up and the cups were not clean and there was a large damp patch on the wall in the bathroom. The next morning discovered that the shower did not work very well and leaked more out of the hose than the shower heads there was no shower gel but there was shampoo and body lotion presented on a rusty plate. Some of the bulbs and the extractor fan were not working the power socket was loose on the wall and for some reason the light switches were fitted upside down. There was also a strip of wallpaper at the side of the bed that had peeled off due to the damp and had been sticky taped back down. I reported the shower and was told it would be sorted out but this never happened. The thing is colleages stayed here a year or so ago and it was nice it even looks like the rooms have been up to a reasonable standard of decoration in the recent past just neglected of late. It would seem that this place has changed hands twice since they stayed and things must have slipped. Be sure that I dont think that anyone will be staying there from work in future even though we do have to go to Hemel quite often.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Joesam33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

I stayed at this very tired pub with rooms above in mid February when the temperatures were very low. When I made comment about the condition, and access to the rooms I was told that they had recently changed hands but "new broom sweeps clean" would have been noticeable. My room was accessed through a maze of staircases and corridors but was clean and bed comfortable. Bathroom - radiator didn't work and used containers from previous guest were still left in shower. Couldn't get room heating to work so shivered most of the night ....until about 4am when I was abruptly woken by very loud overhead heating kicking in. Breakfast was a non-starter - I had fruit juice and cereal and then waited forever for my order to be taken. (Another guest's room had no electricity as plugs had fused so this naturally took priority) Big builders mug of tea (why not a pot?) which I couldn't drink as it was made with the cheapest tea bags imaginable. I had to have another glass of juice to take taste away. I opted for scrambled eggs on toast because I thought this wouldn't take long to prepare. Wrong. By the time it arrived I took a couple of bites and decided to leave. No-one to leave the key with so I left it on my table. I would point out that to stay here cost more than local "chain" hotels

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank 1949blondie
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

Sat nav got me to the door, however the parking is at the rear. I normally stay in decent hotels, however I thought I would give this 1 a go.

On the outside, I thought .... what the ...

On going inside, I thought ... what the ....

The welcome was warm and friendly. I was shown to my room and was very suprised. It was not far on a par with a Crown Plaza hotel room ( 4 star)

They didnt have a restaurant to speak of, however as it was in the town, there was 1 close by.

The breakfast in the morning had limited fruit / fruit juices, however the cooked breakfast was immaculate.

For £60 inc breakfast for a delux room, was good value ( I was in room 5) and highly recommended

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Donald10166
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

External appearance is a little off putting but the quality of the rooms and shower make up for it

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Fareham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

We paid for a Deluxe room and on previous stays this would be one of the rooms upstairs however we were given a disabled room downstairs, the room was small, dirty and dusty, paint coming of the walls and the bathroom needs some TLC, the lady who served us on our arrival was more interested in her social life - We have stayed in this place before and it was a pleasent experiance however we were in the Deluxe room upstairs, i think it's under new management and have let things slip somewhat. It's standards and accomadation need looking at.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sally503828
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

This pub doesn't look that special from the outside (I arrived alone late at night) but inside the staff could not have been more helpful and the room was really good - modern clean and a good size. If I needed a hotel here again I would defintely rebook this.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

I had a party in the pub for my 30th and stayed over in one of the rooms with my partner. I was welcomed and shown to our room. We were provided with a free drink on arrival. The room itself was very modern and the bed was comfortable, with tv, lovely shower and an added bonus was the air conditioning. It was very clean. Staff were friendly and helpfull. We had a full english breakfast which was included in the price, and was asked if we wanted more food or tea and coffee. The staff went out of there way to make us feel special and looked after. The location is in the old town in Hemel and is a lovely place to be. I would choose to stay here again over travel lodge or premier inn, for it is value for money and you dont get the personal touches that you get here. A big thanks to all of you there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple