“Dont waste your money!”

The Olde Kings Arms
“Dont waste your money!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Upon arrival of the pub-sorry 'hotel' we checked our confirmation time of 3pm and decided to head inside! When finally greeted by a man behind the bar we were told that our room was not ready as they had not made the bed. We were told this would take a few hours! Im no genuis but a few hours to make a bed is pretty slow going, especially when the check out time is 11am so how does it take more than 4 hours to hoover and change the bed covers? Crazy! Anyhow we were visiting Harry Potter world so decided to head there first and check in later. Harry Potter world is amazing!! When arriving back at the hotel we weres told parking was at the back of the hotel then showed us our room. The room was good sized and the bed was lovely! The cleanliness was far from great as the bin still had make up wipes in it and the bathroom was thick in dust! Oh there was only one bulb in the bathroom which meant you were guessing where the toilet was! We were told there were tea and coffee making facilities and there was a lovely arrangement of tea bags, coffee and sugar but no kettle :( strange as again it took hours for our room to be ready you would thought that they would have the time to realise the kettle was missing! When in the bed which was very comfortable we checked our bedside table to discover an opened pack of condoms! Very handy if you need them, much better than a kettle in the eyes of others i suppose! We was up early the next morning but we thought 9:15 was an appropriate time for breakfast and to leave, except there were no breakfast insight? Instead there were an iron gate padlocked so you couldnt enter the main bar which were closed as it were morning and a nice sign on the door 'visitors please make sure the door is shut after you leave' we took this as a hint to leave out key in the room and too leave :( so we headed for the toby carvery not too far down the road so head there! Anyway it was ok for a roof over your head but will not be staying here again! Chin up!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Truthfulll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed in room 6 on a stop off between the Making of Harry Potter and Whipsnade Zoo.

On arrival all seemed ok, we were under the impression when we arrived we were staying in a "Luxary Room with Executive en-suite"......then we entered the room.

I went to bathroom, the toilet had not been flushed, the shower is beyond filthy with soap scum and the wooden panels on the unit were falling off!!
The bedroom was dusty and the carpet was stained. This hotel has been refurbished??

Went into the pub for lunch. Somebody needs to explain service with a smile to the barman (when he stops playing with his phone for long enough to serve you)
The food was lovely though!!

When we arrived I was advised breakfast was at 7.30am. As we have to be out early we were there for 7.45am....nobody there. So we pack the car and wait till 8am....still no breakfast. I call the pub to advise we need to leave...the person on the other end of the phone is still in bed by the sounds of it, so we leave our keys in the room.

I wouldn't reccommend this to anybody. A poorly managed establishment on every level.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank lauram2020
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

i'm reviewing this as a pub, not a hotel, as i've never stayed here. The Olde Kings Arms is in Hemel's Old Town, one of 4 pubs - it's common for locals to have a bit of a pub crawl from one end of the street to the other at weekends and that's the only time i've drank here, on numerous occasions over the last 18 years. The pub hasn't always enjoyed a great reputation and has changed hands many times with new owners vowing to make changes. I think the current owners are the first to actually make a real difference, it has a more upmarket feel, with a bit of redecoration and refurb the pub is much more comfortable and inviting. In the past i've passed this pub and witnessed drunken fights spilling out on to the street - when I visited last week there was a more mature clientel sitting down on comfy chairs enjoying drinks, including hot drinks and food, all very civilised. The pub is a lot less lively than it used to be, but as the other 3 pubs have big screen TV's and live music maybe The Olde Kings Arms fills the gap in the market for just being a nice place to enjoy a drink and have a bite to eat, which this end of town has lacked for many years. I'm not sure if the refurb was complete when I visited - maybe the toilets need to be next on the list. Bar prices were on the expensive side, but maybe the aim is to disencourage groups of young lads from stopping for a few lagers as they make their way down the street from the Old Bell? I won't complain that it was too expensive as I dont mind paying more to drink in a nice venue, but for the price I paid for a Gin & Tonic, i'd prefer my request for lime to be an actual lime instead of a dash of cordial.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed in Room 5, which was large and the shower was great. Our friends stayed in Room 1 which did not have room to swing a cat. Rooms were clean however. We stayed after attending a wedding along with the newly-weds and fellow guests. Breakfast was a shambles with one young, untrained girl left to provide for us while the management were away at a festival. The service was so slow that the Groom ended up cooking breakfast for all of us, otherwise we could have been there until dinner time.

Room Tip: Room 5 is spacious and has a good shower
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank colleen p
Suffolk
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Bit of a strange one this, The hotel itself looks like it's seen better days. It's an
'olde worlde ' pub as the name suggests but sadly it all looks a bit tatty. The staff were very friendly but to be honest, they could have just walked in off the street as they don't have any formal dress standard so jeans and hoodies etc were the norm.

The room was fine though possibly the smallest I've ever stayed in and was very clean, as was the bathroom. A comfortable bed, clean sheets plus a nice sized bathroom with a great shower and lots of clean, fresh linen. TV on the wall and tea & coffee facilities.

Then there was the downside.

The wardrobe was the tiniest example I've ever come across with just enough room to hang some shirts - except that the staff had thoughtfully provided an iron and ironing board. which took up most of the space. I'm not sure there was enough free floor space to accommodate an ironing board anyway.

I searched in vain for somewhere to put my case, and also for a hairdryer. There was also an enormous air con unit right above the bed, but no controller, so that went unused - possibly for the best as it was in need of a good clean. I suppose I should have asked the staff about that and the hairdryer, but really you shouldn't need to.

Breakfast was OK but basic and the dining room was very run down and tatty. I had planned to eat there in the evening but it looked so sad in the dining room that I just went elsewhere - and there's plenty of choice.

I stay in a lot of hotels on business and I now use mostly Premier Inns as they are basic but good and always the same standard. Couldn't get in my usual hotel this week so thought I'd treat myself to a nice hotel in the old town as it was on a special offer of £70 a night B&B.

Was it worth it? Just about, but I wouldn't want to pay any more. Would I stay again? Not out of choice. I have no complaints and had no real problems but it didn't quite meet expectations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Leyland
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed one night as a base for visit to the Harry Potter studios in Watford. Looked pretty basic from the outside but once inside this was a real find. Arrived at lunchtime and were immediately given a warm welcome. Enjoyed exellent pub lunch before being shown to our room. This was clean, good size, brilliant shower, TV, tea and coffee and air conditioning. Could have enjoyed the food in the evening but decided to eat out. Choice of 4 or 5 restaurants within 200 yards. Chose the Saffron Indian Restauant which was great.
Breakfast at The Olde Kings Arms was outstanding value and the service was very friendly. Will visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side probably the quietest.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 30, 2012

From the moment I arrived I was warmly welcomed. Staff were all lovely and pleasant. It's a quiet pub which is maintained well, set in the middle of the old town high high street. I was in room 5 which was immaculate. Very light and airy and the shower was amazing!!! Definitely will be returning here!!

• Stayed June 2012