“Average”

The Village Tea Room
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Essex, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here several times and the food is ok, nice jacket potatoes and a reasonable cooked breakfast. Presentation is not their speciality the food is rather plonked on the plate and everything comes out of packets or bottles. Cakes, scones and milkshakes are far better and I believe are bought in by the local Mayfield bakery. The price in my opinion is too high for what you get & quantity does not mean quality.

• Visited November 2013
Jackie W, Owner at The Village Tea Room, responded to this review, February 18, 2015
It seems to me that the two bad reviews are from competition The Hungry Horse and Toby !

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“The change is not good”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Went to this tea room for coffee and cake as we have done many times before. The area is delightful especially in the summer months as they play cricket on the Heath. I believe this business has had a recent change of ownership. The new people have put white chairs in place of the old tea room style chairs. They may have put extra tables in making it much more cramped and difficult to get to and from tables. They have changed from the old white cotton tablecloths to plastic chequered ones. In short, what was a tea rooms now has the appearance of a cafe. On the day we visited which was a Saturday, they were busy and we understand the dishwasher had broken down. However, after 15 minutes, the table next to us had not been cleared of the previous customers luncheon leftovers. We were served eventually by a younger lady who was not at all friendly and indeed appeared surly. Having taken our order which was only tea, coffee and cake, we still had to wait a further ten minutes before it arrived. In total, we had waited 25 minutes to get our order. It appeared there was no real organisation as the staff didn't really have a system to work to. The one thing that appears to have been adopted by the new owners (if they are new as I am assuming they are), is the quality of the food and drinks. The tea, still served in a pot that gives ample cups of tea was fine. The cake, scones etc were, as before, absolutely lovely and were definitely fresh. The variety of cake on offer was, as before, excellent but as I have said, the reception, the wait and the ambiance were all very disappointing. After I paid the bill, there was no one to say goodbye. We felt as if they had our money so we could go. At this moment, I don't feel I want to go back again. However, I feel I should to see if this was just a bad day and if so, to allow me to eat not only more wonderful cakes, but also eat my words. If i do, I will write a further review.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Ken A
hertfordshire
“Awful”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited this tea room 29/07/2013 which was our first visit. I had a toasted cheese and onion toasted sandwich which was ok as you can not do a lot wrong with that. But food was not presented nice very ordinary and standard. My friend had a prawn sandwich the bread was dry. And watched it being made the sauce came out of a plastic bottle not home made . No attention to detail. She was asked if she wanted white or granary bread but was given wholemeal bread any way.
The cakes were obviously not fresh and was what was left over from Sunday they looked dry and stale gave them a miss.
We have been to some lovely tea rooms and had some lovely food bu sadly could not say anything nice about our experience at this tea room.
We looked at other food served and if we hd seen that before we would never have stayed and ordered.
Would not visit again and would not recomend.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank tobyHertfordshire
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasant but unremarkable cyclist-friendly cafe”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The title says it all, really. Clean, bright, cafe. Good bacon sandwiches. Generous supply of tea in a pot for one. Recommended.

• Visited May 2013
“Pleasant lunch”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Went here today for lunch. Ordered a jacket potato and club sandwich for husband. Upon entering was welcomed by the manager (I think) who was v friendly. The jacket was served with salad and coleslaw and was very nice indeed. My husband enjoyed his sandwich which came with some crisps. I spied a lovely Victoria sponge slice on another table but was too full for dessert but It looked like it was worth returning for!!

• Visited April 2013