Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Cock Inn(Sheering)
View Hotel
Hunters Meet Hotel(Hatfield Heath)
View Hotel
Little Hallingbury Mill(Little Hallingbury)
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
1,785 results
All reviewsafternoon teacountry housea murder mystery eveningbeautiful hotelcream teafeature roomwest wingcocktail barlovely groundsexecutive roombed and breakfastlarge bathroomsconestennis courtswedding venuecourse dinnerwedding breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed here with a view to booking a wedding and were so disappointed we have decided not to book the wedding either.
It is a beautiful building with beautiful grounds but I would be too ashamed to invite my guests to stay in the rooms and would not be confident the rest of the venue would perform as required for our wedding.
The room was mouldy in the bedroom with sheets of wallpaper peeling away, the toilet cistern was broken and would not fill but dribbled loudly all night and the bathroom was dimly lit, mouldy tiles and ceiling and no knobs on the shower.
The woodwork on the widows was decaying and they were draughty and the woodwork in general was marked and damaged.
The upstairs hallway smelt of cigarette smoke and there was no one on reception to speak with to complain.
Checking out there was an enormous queue that we gave up and left. Unfortunately having prepaid we were unable to withhold payment. When checking in the receptionist was on the phone to someone else gesturing on the form for me to sign and shoving me a room key, it was as much as she could do to gesture towards the general direction of stairs to my room.

The quality of everything was poor. When we arrived we were told we had breakfast included before the receptionist decided to take the call. At breakfast we were informed we had to pay as we had been informed wrongly. How embarrassing?

The prices were 5* but the quality and service was not (£4.75 for a bottle of water for the room that was warm)
My fiancee did have her heart set on this as a venue but is now pleased we learned about this before we committed and I would advise anyone else booking to do the same anonymously.
I always speak as I find and my reviews are always balanced and without emotion.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob.PLondon
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I was disappointed with our visit, but that doesn't mean it's a bad place in general. I would just recommend anyone staying to ask to be in a room away from wedding or party guests if you prefer peace and quiet.

A review of our stay:
Booking was taken over the phone and it all went through very well and professionally.

We arrived and were dealt with quickly and after check in we made our way to the Ibbetson's tea room for cream tea. Both tea and scones were lovely and service was very good, although we did have to go back to reception because there were no staff around to direct us to a table even though we had waited for 5 mins+.

Throughout the day at the hotel we had a nice day, spent time wandering around the grounds which they do encourage.

This was one of the first points I was slightly disappointed by. Although the grounds immediately outside the hotel were beautiful, when walking less than 3 mins away we came across piles of dumped hotel furniture and old mattresses in piles like it had been fly tipped.

We had a meal in The Grill Bar in the evening and although the lighting was really bright (nothing like the ambient lighting normally in restaurants) we had an amazing meal. The food was really good and although some have said the food was pricey, I did think it was worth the money.

The only down side to the restaurant visit was that one of the waiting staff clearly took a liking to me and was chatting me up whilst I was at the table with my husband!!! We were polite, but I declined his offer of going to the bar with him!

On the day, we found out there was a wedding taking place which was fine, no problems at all with that, it looked like they had a perfect day.

The problems we did have were their guests. I understand the hotel cannot be held responsible for the guests they have staying, but I have recommended to the manager that other people staying at the hotel should be offered rooms away from the main block of rooms reserved for the wedding or party.

We were woken in the early hours by what sounded like someone kicking a football around the room and woken again by shouting from the room opposite. We had continual knocking on our door (knocking and then running away) and when my husband opened and saw one of the men (dressed in a wedding suit) he was threatened with violence so we ended up having to call security! We tried to get back to bed around 4am, but were woken up by the noise again that sounded like a football being kicked around.

Because of this we didn't sleep.

We spoke to the duty manager in the morning and as a goodwill gesture offered us £9 off the bill!

As I said above, I understand the hotel can't be held responsible for other guests, however as first time visitors to their 4* hotel, paying almost £250 for the one night stay I feel a good will gesture of £9 is very poor.

I will recommend this hotel for it's food, but be warned if you want to stay during wedding season!!!

Room Tip: West wing has been refurbished and our room was clean, smelled clean, had all the gubbins you expect in a 4* hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I booked myself in for some proper relaxation, being a full time worker, mum and step mum, and frankly needing some peace and luxury. I booked on a Saturday, and not only is there a wedding on in the hotel, there are also a couple of family parties. I asked for a quiet room, and that is exactly what I have. I was treated with tremendous courtesy from reception onwards. My room, at the top of the building at the back, is really tranquil, I have a fabulous view over the lawn and grounds and the room itself is lovely. The bathroom does need to be re-grouted. It is not dirty, it is just old grout. I dined alone, but felt perfectly comfortable and well taken care of. The food - oh my goodness the food is DELICIOUS. I had melt in the mouth lamb, and the most fabulous lemon meringue. Yum. The service was also great.

There is a gym, but I went for a run in the grounds - be sure and ask for a map at reception if you do this - it's pretty unclear where any paths are. Very natural, very well cared for, but it is a forest. The swimming pool is currently closed - there was a tragic drowning here about 18 months ago - but the gym is open and the grounds are great.

I have had a fantastic time, and don't hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main house are very traditional, and the ones at the top of the house have several doors between them and the function rooms downstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 30, 2014

my wife and I were taken to the hotel for a birthday high tea the service was shocking the tea was cold the cakes were stale and uneatable the sandwiches were shocking and also very stale altogether it was a very unhappy afternoon my daughter who booked this tea for us was very upset we will never return to this hotel and never recommend it and by way it was very dear and a complete waste of good cash thank you.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank stanley m
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed recently and felt a bit dis pointed. Had done a groupon deal so know we got it cheap but it did not give us a very good image of the hotel. Our room was up in the eves with no lift which was not ideal as I was six months pregnant and we had a toddler. The climbing up all the stairs was hard work and in the end we left a night early as could not keep facing it. Th room was functional but was very tired and needed a refit. Felt disappointed as we was electing a lovely few days away but ended up going home early for a good nights sleep

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room on ground floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
DownHallManagement, Manager at Down Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Guest,Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay at Down Hall, I am sorry to hear that on this occassion it did not completely meet your expectations.Unfortunately, it is not clear whether you made our Receptionist aware that you are expecting, if you did, I would have expected them to arrange a more suitable room for you. I will speak to the Reception Team just in case to make sure that they are attentive to guests specific circumstances.We have recently completed the refurbishment of our 54 West Wing Executive Rooms, perhaps on a return stay you would like to upgrade to one of these rooms. I do hope we can welcome you back to Down Hall in the future.Kind regards,Anna Snoep