“Beales have pulled another one out of the hat.”

Beales Hatfield Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Mr Beale. I don't know how you do it but well your staff are such a good team!
I've stayed at West Park which is by far my favourite but Hatfield is equally good and we went wild in the Galeria. A romantic weekend can be had at Hatfield it's superb! Modern contemporary so interesting to know about the artists and artwork. Love the history of the place. It's great and I have to congratulate you all on a great team. Lovely meals and clean pleasant rooms.
One suggestion dining chairs looking a bit grubby.. Maybe a darker colour next time!! But we had a fantastic time. Would stay again when we are in the area. But we will definitely be going to West Park very soon. Thank you. BEALES HOTELS are an experience not to be missed and offer great service and value for money! And no I don't work for them or get paid to review! Good service deserves recognition and recommendation it's not easy to find these days.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank mlanaka
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Wow what a super review of Beales Hotel, thanks so much !

I am delighted you have tried both hotels now, both very different but with the same good service levels, motivated and caring staff, and both are the highest rated four star hotels in their respective areas.

There is not a simple answer to the question "I don't know how you do it", other than to give a boring answer that it is a lot of hard work by a lot of people (160 or so in the company), relentless attention to detail, and learning from our mistakes when we mess up.

Hotel keeping has become increasingly hard during this recession, and the advent of social media such as Tripadvisor has meant that we are always somewhat on edge these days, fearing the next review.

And unlike most organisations, we never close, not even for a minute in the year. At Beales Hotel we have been trading non stop since 1964 while at West Lodge Park, we opened our doors in 1945 and haven't shut them since !

We will get the dining chairs cleaned immediately, of course, and will look forward to welcoming you back to either West Lodge Park or Beales Hotel in the future.

And tell me sometime how it is possible to go wild in the Galleria !!! I am all ears.......!

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night in this clean pleasant hotel, but didn't eat there at all. For us, the area wasn't great as there isn't much to do around (that we found anyway). But I would imagine for London and conferences this hotel would be fantastic. The rooms were nice with all the things you could need, hair drier, ironing board and iron plus complimentary water and biscuits.

• Stayed: September 2013
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for your review of Beales Hotel.

Sorry you didn't find much to do in the area.

For next time how about these suggestions ?

1) The Galleria Outlet Centre and Odeon Multiplex is situated right opposite the hotel.

2) The Hertfordshire Sports Village has one of the largest gyms and swimming pools in the area, and free membership is available to every resident at Beales Hotel. And it is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

3) Hatfield House is one of the most glorious medieval houses left in Britain, still owned and run by Lord and Lady Salisbury, and you may well see them around the house or gardens as you go round.

4) St Albans Cathedral and city centre is only about 5 minutes drive away, well worth visiting on a Saturday morning for the market, while the Norman Cathedral is quite stunning. And the Roman remains at Verulamium, with the museum nearby are of national importance.

Anyhow, these are four suggestions for your next stay, I hope this helps.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Have just returned home from a one night stay at this hotel. Check in was smooth and quick,receptionist very friendly. Double room was spotless and well equipped. We booked our trip on an offer with Amazon so a 3 course dinner was included and I must say the choice and the food was excellent, particularly the sea bass dish. Buffet breakfast this morning was delicious. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at Beales Hotel.

I am glad that everyone looked after you so well, and that you enjoyed the food at dinner and breakfast.

The Amazon deal is coming to an end now at the start of this autumn term, but other amazing deals can be found on our website on the special offers page.

Do come again, and thank you for taking the time to post a nice review to Tripadvisor.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Have just experienced an excellent short break in this very nice modern hotel. Exceptionally smart and stylish with lots of interesting art-work and immaculate throughout,it offers very good value for money. We received a very friendly welcome from a young lady receptionist,who arranged porterage service for which we were grateful,on both arrival and departure. The bedroom,in relaxing neutral colours, was thoughtfully designed and offered everything one needed,including complimentary water,wine,biscuits etc.The bed (Hypnos - I could not resist checking !) was a pleasure to sleep in,both firm and supportive whilst comfortable. (Sorry to go on about the bed but I have had two bad experiences in the last year in other hotels which left me with back trouble,so bed-quality has become an issue for me.)
In general the food was very good.The hotel obviously takes pride in its sourcing and it was interesting to read about the provenance of much of the food it offered.The dinner menu has a mixture of traditional favourites and more unusual items and is very fairly priced for a four star hotel.We particularly enjoyed nicely cooked and presented starters of fish-cake, and baked fig (a bit small),followed by hake with clams,stuffed guinea fowl and a tender confit of lamb then exceptional ice-creams and good petits four.A couple of other items were a bit below par but overall the standard was high,as was the friendly service in the comfortable and attractive restaurant for both dinner and breakfast, which was a generous hot and cold buffet,plus specials to order.
Both retired,we are at the age when we have the time to travel a lot. In our experience, it is not easy for hotels to consistently provide high standard throughout. Quality of staffing and service seems to be a particular issue in many otherwise lovely,luxury hotels,but not here.This is clearly a very well - run hotel,with well - trained,friendly and professional staff, performing to high standards in reception,housekeeping and catering,which is quite an achievement. So this hotel can be confidently recommended to even the choosiest of clients - like me!
I gather the company has another ,traditional style hotel not far away,which I shall certainly try to visit,since traditional style is generally what I opt for.

Finally.I was delighted to find,on reading the interesting history of the family owning Beales,that they had previously owned a restaurant called Beales in the Holloway Rd.,North London.This was where my wedding reception was held in July,1961. At that time, I and all my family lived in Southwark,South London. My brother-in-law worked at Highbury and regularly ate and entertained clients in Beales. He persuaded the whole family ,plus guests of course,to relocate the wedding to St Mary's and Beales in the Holloway Rd.,on the strength of their excellent catering. My husband -to - be even moved briefly to the area to establish residency! We had a lovely reception and thought the journey and other complications well worth the effort.I am pleased to think that the latest members of the Beales family are keeping up those high standards which will attract visitors from afar.

Room Tip: Since it has been transformed into a purpose-built, ultra-modern hotel,I would guess room designs an...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank furbysmum
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for your delightful review of Beales Hotel.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel, and I am so pleased that all departments performed to the highest standards.

We have had a hotel on this site since 1964, although I knocked the old Hatfield Lodge Hotel down in 2004, and replaced it with the rather splendid ultra contemporary Beales Hotel.

I am delighted that you had your wedding reception at Beales of Holloway - this opened in 1889, and sadly closed in 1969, but for eighty years was the headquarters of our little business empire.

Do pay a visit to our West Lodge Park hotel, which we have owned since 1945 - very different to Beales Hotel in feel but with the same standards - the two hotels are among the very highest rated of the 122 hotels in Hertfordshire on Tripadvisor.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a business meeting and it is lovely, clean, modern and with attentive staff. The staff behind the bar are always friendly, as i use this hotel regularly before meetings. Geat bar food which is not always expected in such a modern hotel.
The rooms are basic but modern, with good internet connection and 16 channel TV. It is in. Agreat location for shopping with the Galleria next door, and there is plenty of parking. I wouldnt recommend for a romantic weekend away but a great hotel for business.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind comments about Beales Hotel.

At the end of September this year, we are going live with a switchover to Freeview on our TVs + Sky Sports 1,2,3, which will give our guests dozens and dozens of TV and radio channels to choose from.

Your comments about the hotel being suitable only for business guests is not quite the whole picture as we are very busy at weekends, not only with great value weekend breaks in Hertfordshire, but with many people choosing the hotel as a base for visiting central London, and also for the weddings and dinner parties that we host each weekend.

Do come again, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back, and thank you for taking the time to review Beales Hotel.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very nice food & stay very nice. Staff friendly and helpful would recommend. Has a sister hotel in the surrounding countryside which we would also like to visit. There is a lot going on around the area.

Room Tip: All good as far as we could see
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am glad we looked after you so well on your trip down the A1 from Peterborough.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to this hotel, or, as you say, for a visit to our sister West Lodge Park Hotel, in Hadley Wood, Herts.

West Lodge Park has the same service standards and ethos as Beales Hotel, but in a beautiful country house setting surrounded by 35 acres of grounds. The architecture is very traditional whereas at Beales Hotel, it is uber-modern.

However both a luxurious four star hotels run by the Beale Family for many decades, and very highly rated on Tripadvisor, Booking.com, the AA and elsewhere.

It would be a pleasure to see you in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Don't know where to start with this review really, far too many good things to say! I stayed here very recently on a business trip, accommodation provided by my company, and I can't praise it enough! The hotel itself looks fantastic, really quirky and contemporary. The staff were very welcoming and attentive on arrival and we were quickly signed in and given access to our rooms. I was situated on be ground floor, right at the end of the corridor, initially I was a little dubious about it but quickly realised what a fantastic room I had. Opened the door to a modern, homely and incredibly clean and well presented room with everything I could possibly need. Nice sized bathroom, GORGEOUS bed (dangerously addictive for having a quick lie down which usually resulted in an afternoon nap) with the addition of duck feather quilt and pillows... Divine. Slept like a baby every night with no disturbance. The room also had a good sized desk which was perfect and ideal for me to do some work on each night. We all ate here every night in the restaurant area. The food is impeccable and was consistently this way every night we ate here. All locally sourced, amazingly cooked and presented, top class luxury dining. Same with the breakfast, fantastic selection, setting me up for the day ahead (I even got my requested pot of green tea every morning). The location also fantastic, situated right opposite the galleria, a shopping centre with plenty of restaurants and a cinema that we visited, although we did not venture out much further than this as we were here on a work basis. With our stay we also got access to a fitness centre just around the corner with gym and swimming pool facilities, which i am sure all guests receive if i am correct in thinking so. So in summary, cannot thank Beales Hotel enough for making my stay such a pleasant one. Just made me feel incredibly at home, and as if I was being given a bit of vip luxury treatment, something that I always look for in a hotel. Will definitely return, without a doubt, and would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I have only stayed here once and loved my ground floor room. All of the guests I was also with absol...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Gosh, what a brilliant review, thank you so much !

We have been improving the hotel since we first knocked down the old Hatfield Lodge Hotel in 2004 and built Beales Hotel in the space of nine short months.

We have had a hotel on this site since 1964, but the old hotel had certainly become old fashioned in what is a very up and coming business area.

It is testament to millions of pounds of investment (around £6M at the last count) + years of graft by the hard working team to be able to get to the point we are at today.

And I know that in hotels there is always an incident to deal with the around the corner, or a mechanical or electronic failure to cope with.

However, your stay was trouble free and I am so pleased about that !

Do come again soon, when you are down in Hertfordshire.

With kindest regards,

Beales Hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath

Been to Beales Hatfield Hotel? Share your experiences!