“Fantastic weekend despite the weather”

Beales Hatfield Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastic weekend despite the weather”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My sister had arranged a family reunion as a Christmas present - so 12 of us stayed at Beales Hotel, Hatfield for 2 nights in March. It was the start of the snow, so for those travelling from Ireland and Manchester the journey was a bit of a challenge. We were the last of the party and arrived at 10,00pm after a lengthy journey. The staff made us very welcome and we had a lovely bar snack on the Friday evening. The food was excellent throughout our weekend and the booklet listing all the food sources was interesting reading - good to see so much of the food being sourced locally. Our evening meal on the Saturday was lovely and the breakfasts were very good with a wide selection appealing to all tastes. (I really liked the local yoghurt and accompaniments). We were made to feel very welcome throughout our stay. The rooms were very comfortable, the artwork was much admired and the sports facilities up the road were appreciated by some members of our party! The hotel was easily accessible though the location is not the most scenic. However the snow made even the car park look pretty and the Galleria across the road gave us the chance to walk around avoiding the snow! Many thanks to all the staff, particularly the restaurant staff who were very helpful throughout and to the reception staff who had to deal with our complicated arrangements!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

It was a pleasure to welcome you all to the hotel, and I am so glad you all had a good time, and enjoyed the hotel, and took advantage of the complimentary leisure club just 5 minutes away.

Sorry that the weather disappointed, it really has been a grim winter, and there still doesn't seem any end in sight. At least the Galleria straight opposite the hotel is a nice warm place to spend a few hours in, whether in the shops, or the restaurants, or the large Odeon cinema.

Do come again, it would be such a pleasure to welcome you all back to the hotel !

Kind regards,

Beales Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at Beales Hotel overnight for work a few weeks ago. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, staff were friendly and courteous and willing to do anything they could to help. The room was clean and well stocked and the food was amazing.

The corporate facilities were great too, it made for a very comfortable and pleasant meeting environment. I can't find anything to fault.

Thank you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

It was such a pleasure to have all the Youthscape team at the hotel for the board and senior leadership team retreat.

It all went so well, the hotel looked great, but most important was the time we spent together.

Come again next year !

With kind regards,

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here for one night and was very satisfied with my stay. I parked at the rear of the hotel and did see a sign for the rear entrance. Check in was efficient. My room was clean and comfortable and I had a good night's sleep, although I could hear a little noise from other rooms it didn't disturb me. The food was of a good standard both in the evening and at breakfast. The staff were all well trained, and I even ended up having a chat with the lady cleaning in the ladies she was so friendly, and obviously very dedicated.
There are no leisure facilities, but the facilities of a local club are available for hotel guests.
The hotel is directly opposite Gallerias.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments following your visit to Beales Hotel, and was particularly pleased to receive such a glowing review from someone who has clearly traveled widely.

I can't be certain, but I am guessing that the person you spoke to in the ladies was Lynne Norman, who is a delight to talk to and who never has a bad word to say about anybody.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back next time you are in the area !

With kind regards,

Hatfield, Herts
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I booked afternoon tea for 6 in the Talkbar restaurant for the afternoon of my 50th birthday for my family. When I booked the table & chose the menu I advised that 1 of my party were 'gluten free'. I had to pay for this as the food was having to be bought separately - not a problem. However, when we sat down I was asked which menu we were having - even though having already paid for 1 person I would have thought this was obvious. When ordering the tea I also ordered a hot chocolate (for the teenagers in our party). This took more than 10 minutes to bring - apparently they had to make it! We asked for jam for the scones and had to wait a long 5 minutes and was brought a selection of jam and marmalade (presumably from the breakfast selection). I asked for more milk for the tea and had to ask twice. All of this may have been ok if the restaurant was busy, but there was only one other party in the room! The final insult was when the bill came and they hadn't deducted the deposit I had already paid and I had to show the receipt to prove I had already paid. All in all a disappointment. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
This is a disappointing review and we are sorry for any miscommunication. In particular we should have noted the deposit paid in advance and the request for the gluten free tea.

However you left at the end saying you were happy and would come again and you even left a gratuity for our staff.

Our excellent deputy restaurant manager Sumi who looked after you said that he gave you everything that you wanted, even though it took a little while to prepare all the different hot drinks in your order.

I hope you will come again despite this, and thank you for pointing out the problems with your afternoon tea at Beales Hotel.

Regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have stayed at both Beales hotels (Hatfield and Enfield) and, having worked in hotels in the past I can say they are outstanding in terms of service and quality.

Their staff go the extra mile to help you do what you need to do, the food is amazing and the rooms so comfortable!

They are like chalk and cheese though - the Hatfield hotel is modern and the Enfield hotel is stately - a great place to relax with the Arboretum in the grounds.

Having delivered training at the Hatfield hotel I can say it is a great venue, gives a professional shine to the event.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am glad you have stayed at both hotels and have noted the differences between the two of them.

West Lodge Park is the stately home surrounded by 35 acres of sweeping lawns. Beales Hotel is the ultra modern little brother, in a much more corporate location.

Despite being so different, both have the same high standards and same high AA ratings.

Do come back soon to one of the Beales Hotels !

With kindest regards,

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff who went above and beyond at every opportunity. The room was comfortable and I particularly enjoyed the fact that sky sports was available in my room!
Everywhere was clean, tidy, and well presented. When we went for dinner we were again greeted by friendly staff who served us promptly and allowed us to take time to enjoy our meal. I'd definitely recommend the Beale's burger! The roasted pork is also excellent.
We used the conference facilities which were very comfortable and we didn't run out of coffees, pastries or cookies! Would definitely book again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your great comments following the Youthscape conference at Beales Hotel.

It was such a joy to spend time with everyone and to welcome you all to the hotel.

I am glad we looked after you so well, and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back anytime in the future !

With warmest regards,

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful hotel on 15th March 2013.Haviing already stayed at West Lodge last year I was unsure about what to expect in terms of comparison.I liked its contemporary style and was impressed by the artwork and the cleanliness of everything.
Our dining experience was amazing. I am very fussy about my caesar salad as I often have to ask if there are anchovies and indeed they were there in abundance! The roast pork was so full of flavour - good Gloucester old spot! Not much room left for dessert but succumbed to the steamed orange pudding and the warm plum and apple crumble,both delicious. We tasted each others!
My husband forgot his cufflinks and a call to reception resulted in a member of staff lending his cufflinks-think his name was Alex. Now that goes beyond the call of duty!
All staff very courteous and professional.
Thank you, we will definitely be back. Christine and James

1 Thank Christine B
Thank you for your lovely comments following your visit for the Youthscape conference at Beales Hotel.

It was a joy to welcome you both, and I am glad you were looked after so well.

For reference it was James Walford in the bar who tracked down some cufflinks for your husband to wear - hotel lost property does have its uses !!

Do come again, such a delight to see you there !

With warmest regards,

Beales Hotels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St. Albans
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel

Been to Beales Hatfield Hotel? Share your experiences!