“It Is Four Star”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
N. E. England
“It Is Four Star”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently stayed three nights here. One often departs from a four star thinking it should be three. this was not the case here my wife and I agreed it merited the four rating.
My son and daughter in law who live in Welwyn came to dine on two nights with their 18 month daughter.
The restaraunt staff accommodated our needs in apolite professional manner.
The maid often the unsung hero kept our room 52 in immaculate condition.

Our stay was enjoyable but to small points.
To many add on prices within the menu. Flexibility yes to a degree but appears to the eye as perhaps a bit of a money grabber. The food was however good dining.
From a safety standpoint clear glass panels within the hotel need to be marked in my opinion.

We will return to this hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

You are right that many four star hotels feel borderline 3 star - in particular this seems to be the case with seaside hotels, or chain hotels where the profits have not been reinvested from one year to the next as we do.

Beales Hotel is currently the highest rated four star hotel in Herts with 2 AA rosettes for the cuisine, and 79% quality rating for all aspects of our service.

A word about supplements - we deliberately keep menu prices low to encourage our residents to dine in, and currently have 22 dishes on our winter restaurant menu, just five of which have a supplement like fillet steak or sea bass due to their much higher price.

Do come again, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Beales Hotel !

Beales Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Knebworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

we stayed at this hotel for one night,we had purchased a deal with travel zoo,the check in was straightforward
and the receptionist was very pleasent,the rooms were spacious and had everything in the room to make the
stay more relaxing.
the food for the evening meal was very good and so was the breakfast in the morning the staff were pleasent
and helpful,great location for shopping,all in all a good time,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am so glad you enjoyed your Travelzoo weekend break.

Although you didn't travel far to get to the hotel, I am glad you made use of the facilities in the local area - in particular the Galleria Outlet Centre which is opposite the hotel, as well as the Howard Centre in Welwyn Garden City, and (more attractively) St Albans Saturday market. All these places are within minutes of the hotel.

Do come again soon, I am sure we will be doing another Travelzoo offer before long.

Kind regards,

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed in The Beales Hotel for 2 nights and the rooms were lovely. The waitors and waitresses were kind but the food and the restaurant is poor. I know it is hard to extend a restaurant however I believe that would be a good idea. Hatfield is a lovely location just outside London. It's all nice except don't go with kids.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your review of Beales Hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your rooms, and that you also enjoyed Hatfield and the surrounding area, not something many of our guests comment upon.

I am a bit mystified by your comment about the restaurant and food being poor, and you saying don't bring the kids. We have children's menu prices on our menus, at a very reasonable £8.50 for mains and £4.00 for any starters or desserts as well as big discounts at breakfast.

Without more detail I can't really comment further, but I do know that it would be a pleasure to welcome you all back to Beales Hotel in the future.

Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Upon visiting Beales Hotel, Hatfield, I was most pleasently suprised by the impressive building and how well kept/clean it was.

I loved the art posted through out the hotel, and found myself gazing at a few pieces for ages..
All staff were curteous. The room was spacious, and very comfortable. The only down side was that the crockery was quite badly tea/coffee stained and the bed literally moved away from the headboard when I sat up in bed to watch the TV... At breakfast I felt very rushed.... Came down at 9.10 am...And told Breakfast was closing and had to order my breakfast.
That hasn't deterred me from returning as the restaurant for the evenng meal was genuinely out of this world.
I had The Soup- Divine... then the Beef Wellington- Amazing, then I managed to have room for the dessert.
I will be back.. Just hope the beds have brakes on now :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening meal, and that you also noticed the dramatic modern artwork around the hotel - all 130 or so works of art come from the students and staff of the adjacent University of Hertfordshire Fine Art department.

I'm sorry that the bed moved in the way it did - I can only assume the castors on your divan base were not braked at the time. I am also sorry that you were rushed at breakfast, this should not be the case at all.

Do come again when you are next over from Basildon, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to this lovely hotel.

Hadleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at the hotel having purchased a deal through Travel Zoo for a three course meal and one night accommodation.
First impressions of the hotel were that it was very well presented.
The check in was straight forward with the lady at reception giving us all the information we needed and the room was very clean and comfortable. In the information pack in the room was a note from the owner telling us that should we have a problem that his staff cannot resolve please just text or call his mobile, for which the number was provided. I have never seen this before and thought it showed a rare confidence in his hotel and his staff.
The art theme running through the hotel was an interesting touch, with detail on each piece as you would find in a gallery.

We decided to have a pre meal drink at the bar which was again professionally delivered.
Our table in The Outside In restaurant was comfortable and the ambience perfect.
The only problem I had was choosing my meal from the menu as 'All of the above please' was not an option!
Our waiter was extremely helpful and talked us through the menu, discussing only the merits of each choice as there were seemingly no down sides.
Eventually I made my choice and every course was delicious, but, and I must emphasise this... It is all about the lamb! I understand that the chef (formerly a certain Mr Ramsay's pastry chef) changes his menu weekly.
If you are going to this restaurant to eat and you see lamb cooked two ways on the menu I would stongly recommend you try it.

Very nice hotel, great food, will certainly be going back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kev P
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for a very detailed and kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am glad that your stay was so successful.

I do indeed put my mobile phone number available for all our guests to phone me 24 hours a day, with one caveat - that you ask the staff on duty for assistance first and only call me if they can't fix the query.

As a result I do not get many calls in the course of a year, as all our staff can pretty much solve most problems or queries, although I did have one rather irate lady once who phoned me on a Sunday morning from our sister hotel West Lodge Park to complain that although we had wellies in sizes 5 -10, we didn't have any for her size 4 feet !

I am very glad you enjoyed the lamb which comes from Andrew Humphreys, a third generation farmer from Blixes Farm in Fairstead, Essex. All his lambs receive feed hand mixed by Andrew, who also changes their bedding daily and provides them with fresh straw for forage.

With all the hullabaloo over the horse meat scandal, and a supermarket supply chain that seems to stretch from Romania to Ireland via Luxembourg, France, Holland and goodness knows where else, we are proud to have just three butchers supplying all our meat at Beales Hotels, all of whom are also farmers in their own right too, so that the supply chain to your dinner table is as short as it could possibly be.

Do come again and thank you for taking the time to write up your visit to Beales Hotel for the benefit of all Tripadvisor readers.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as a single business traveller and as I visit Welwyn pretty often I was looking for a hotel I could count on, however based on this stay I will not be returning.
The check in was fine and the room is good quality and very clean but the service I received in the restaurant was poor particularly from the female member of staff who seemed to be in a dream. She completely forgot my wine order and although I eventually got it from another waiter, by this time I had already received my meal.
The buffet breakfast was typically lukewarm and guess what -this time she forgot my order for a pot of tea.
The receptionist managed my entire check out with barely a word and a look of complete disgust on her face -it was so bad my colleague noticed it from across the hall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for passing on your comments about Beales Hotel.

I am pleased that you received a good check in and found your room to be of good quality and clean.

I am sorry we gave you a less than friendly checkout and a rather variable service in the restaurant.

We were training a new young member of staff and it is she who forgot your wine order and your tea order.

Please give us another chance, I can assure you that the service you received was far from typical, and you will see many satisfied reviews on Tripadvisor and elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayedvhere for a friends birthday party held bin the hotel. Check in easy, staff friendly and helpful. Rooms very nice, clean comfortable and towels that actually cover you! Ample parking available, function rooms good, hotel laid on special room for all the party staying to breakfast together. Would be happy to stay again and recommend to anyone staying locally. 5 min walk from Galleria

• Stayed February 2013
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am glad that we looked after you so well, and that you enjoyed your stay and the party.

I am glad you noticed the towels - many hotels seem to cut costs by offering sub standard towels. We have always insisted on decent towels for our guests, as well as quality bed linen (Egyptian cotton), and comfortable duvets and pillows (goose feather and down).

Maybe this is the difference between some of the large chains which just seem to cut more and more costs each year, and proudly independent hotels like our own.

Do come again soon, whether for a party with family with family and friends, or just for a relaxing break.

Beales Hotels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St. Albans
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Beales Hatfield Hotel? Share your experiences!