“Snuggliest, most comfy room I've stayed in, ever.”

Beales Hatfield Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here on a weekend deal, Friday and Saturday nights for 2, £62.50 a night. I wasn't particularly hopeful but all I wanted was a bed and an easy location for the wedding/party I was going to in a nearby village. I was so pleasantly surprised that I'm racing to write my review before I get sidetracked and forget. The hotel is right opposite Hatfield Galleria but don't let that put you off. The reception was warm and welcoming on a cold wintery night and the receptionist was speedy and efficient but took the time to ask if we'd stayed before and explained breakfast times and pointed out the bar and restaurant.

Our room was number 8 on the ground floor. It was on the small side but perfectly formed - an armchair, a desk, a lamp and mirror next to the hair drier drawer (things some more male-centric hotels don't think about), good quality black out curtains and a really comfortable bed with the best pillows I've ever slept on - anywhere - goose down and feather - heaven! Tea and coffee tray, nice biscuits, free mineral water, and an iron, ironing board and trouser press all neatly tucked away. A wardrobe with enough hangers for us both to use and two bedside lamps (I hate hotels that only have one - why do they do that?!) and a dimmer switch for the main light by the bed. The bathroom was really clean and the towels soft. The wash basin looked like a toilet bowl and the water in the shower was still almost too hot even on its coolest setting - and that's the only even vaguely critical thing I can say about the room.

We had room service on the Saturday night, the menu was a bit disappointing because it wasnt very big but the option was there to choose from the main restaurant menu and have that brought to the room which was great - I was just wanting something more indulgent I think (pizza or nachos! I know, it's too smart a place for that really!) - that's just personal preference though. We had a drink in the little bar too, it's very sweet and cosy but we balked a bit at the rum and coke that was £5+. We had lunch in the restaurant the next day - had to hunt the staff as we were the only ones there and I think they were catering an event in the hotel - but that was a minor thing (again, just mentioning it to give a rounded view!) and the food was delicious. I had roasted tomato soup and some squid on a risotto bed - it was fabulous - I highly recommend it. It's not cheap but the quality's worth the money I think.

I'd definitely stay here again. It's a lovely cosy hotel, clean, well run and our room was quiet and comfy - couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Sarahsjmmoore
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for such a great review of Beales Hotel.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit so much, and that you appreciated the food and the service and made full use of the facilities.

I hope that you enjoyed the wedding as much as you did the hotel !

Do come again next time you are down this way from Scotland !

Reviewed November 24, 2012

only stayed here for one night and the only facility we used was the restaurant for breakfast, which sources local produce, and was very good. The bedrooms had everything we needed and were clean and comfortable. The public areas are bright and modern (plenty of chrome and glass) and the displaying of local artwork is a nice touch.Well located for the Business Park and the Galleria.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am delighted that we looked after you so well, and that you enjoyed the local food, the very contemporary styling and the welcome by the staff.

Speaking as a fellow Lutonian, I am all the more delighted that you chose to stay, given that Luton is only 20 minutes or so from Hatfield !

Do come again, whether on business or pleasure, and thank you once again for your kind review.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We live nearby so we have not stayed here but we have been to the restaurant using the "Times" offer several times this year. When you go back to somewhere you usually expect that it will not be the same but the thing about the "Inside Out" is that it always seems to be of a consistently high standard. The chef here obviously has some flair because his menu is a cut above what is generally available in the area. There is attention to detail in getting things right even down to the choice of bread rolls, the quality of vegetables, the sauces, the plate display and the excellent house wine. No doubt this is due to the professionalism of the Beales organisation who seem to find pleasant "can do" staff and train them well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind review of Beales Hotel.

The name of the restaurant is Outsidein, rather than Insideout but it matters not a jot, because what you have enjoyed is consistency of service and cooking over several visits.

Consistency is probably the hardest thing to achieve in hotels, as we are open 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and thus there is no guarantee that the same team will be on duty on subsequent visits.

However I am absolutely delighted by your review.

The kitchen team is indeed a cut above elsewhere, headed up by Diego Granada, with Phil Macrides, Jamie, Toby, and others in support. And with 2 AA rosettes to show for all their hard work.

Out front the restaurant team is headed up by Alex Hendon, with Linda Purton, Ana, Suri and others in support,.

I would like to take all the credit (!) but of course it is nothing of the sort - however, the old adage does apply - "it is not difficult to run a great hotel, just employ nice people."

The team at Beales Hotel are all extremely nice people, and it makes a huge difference. I am proud to call them friends and colleagues.

Do come again soon, whether on a Times offer or at another time.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Haved stayed twice at this hotel recently but chose not to stay a third time due to the rooms not being up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. Hotel looks good from the outside and I liked the contemporary looks inside the reception and open plan dining area. The food is very good and this is why I stayed a second time but the room, namely the bed and the smell of previous smokers that prevailed has left me with no desire to stay again. The first time I stayed the bed wasn't good either but thought I would give the hotel a second chance. Staff are good and service good. The artwork is very interesting and I liked the idea of local art school being on display. However bed mattresses and fabrics cleaned in room would make this better for me. Finally we found it noisy outside both times with the rooms we were allocated so ask for a quiet room!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with a new bed!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gorgeous1x

Thank you for your constructive criticism of Beales Hotel which I welcome.

I am sorry that you won't be staying again, and would ask that you give us another chance.

We are starting a bed replacement programme, although we get as many plaudits for our Hypnos beds as we do criticisms, so I guess that it is a question of personal taste.

I am sorry that you experienced the smell of smoke in the room. All our 53 bedrooms are non-smoking and we charge a minimum of £100 to the account of any guest found to be smoking to cover the cost of dry cleaning the curtains, shampooing the carpet, washing the net curtains, and shampooing the upholstery. Please do ask for a change of room on your next visit if this problem re-occurs.

I thank you for your perceptive comments that will help us improve our service to all our guests.

With kind regards,

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We chose to stay here when attending a music concert at Knebworth. The reception staff were extremely helpful as were the bar staff. The restaurant is lovely and the food is of a really high standard. The breakfast is really good too with a big choice available. We spent a lovely time sitting in the lounge sipping our drinks and listening to music and we will more than happily use Beales again for any future trips to Knebworth.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel following your recent visit to this area for a concert at Knebworth.

I am delighted that we looked after you so well, and that you enjoyed your stay.

For the benefit of our Tripadvisor readers, Knebworth House and Park is just a few minutes up the A1(M) from Hatfield, and there are numerous events throughout the year, from craft fairs to car rallies, and from large concerts to smaller events in the Knebworth Barns.

Beales Hotel is also ultra convenient for Hatfield House which, like Knebworth, has a large number of events throughout the year, and which is open for visits as well.

Do come up again from Winchester for the next concert at Knebworth !

With kind regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2012

stayed with my wife , food lovely, free upgrade which meant a bottle of wine in the room , nice touch , quality furnishings in room , such a shame there was a end of term party held there , tennagers running up and down while we were eating our meal , very badly behaved i even spoke to the teachers about this , the boys were sitting down acting very silly at the dining tables while on their way to the loo's !! we should have been warned of this

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Beales Hotel, and for your constructive criticism.

I would be glad if you could email me via my email address which is on the front page of the Beales Hotels group website as I would be interested to know the exact date of your visit to the hotel to be able to establish the facts.

It is certainly unacceptable for banqueting guests to interfere with the running of the restaurant and thus spoil it for others.

We only had four school proms this year on 2nd, 6th, 10th and 13th July so I assume it was one of those dates.

I can assure all our Tripadvisor readers that normally the hotel is very quiet and the restaurant guests dine undisturbed in the comfort of the 2 AA Rosette Outsidein Restaurant.

I am glad that you enjoyed the food, and appreciated the bedroom upgrade. However I am very sorry that your meal was disturbed in this way.

I will ensure it never happens again.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I recently stayed at the Beales hotel when traveling for business. My stay at this tiny hotel with contemporary flair was extremely pleasant. The staff is very friendly and they will get out of their way to make you feel welcome. Breakfast is very nice, buffet-style, served at the "Outside In" restaurant. Very fresh.
The hotel is conveniently located to the Galleria shopping, St. Albans, and U of Hertfordshire. Hatfield House is a few miles away.
Overall, a true delight. Will come back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for the ones on the side so you get no noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

It is not often that we get reviews from California, but it is great that you enjoyed what we have on offer at Beales Hotel, which doesn't conform at all to the cliched American view of olde Englande.

However, despite not being a quaint rustic inn with low beams, I am glad that you found us to be welcoming, and efficient, and as you say, convenient for many different locations in the area.

Do come again when you are next over in the UK, it will be a great pleasure to welcome you back.

Beales Hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Travelodge Hatfield Central
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to Beales Hatfield Hotel? Share your experiences!