“Pretty perfect”

Beales Hatfield Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed November 8, 2011

When you compare many hotels websites against the reality when you stay, you struggle to see the resemblance. However, this isn't the case with Beales, the pictures and descriptions on there website are 100% truthful.

Really pleasant stay; would definetely recommend.

The only negative point was that the hotel looks really out of place for it's surroundings, however that is modern design for you.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank tripreview11
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments about Beales Hotel, and in particular about the truthfulness of our website.

You mentioned that the hotel looks out of place for its surroundings - perhaps I can explain that our old Hatfield Lodge Hotel that was on this site from 1964 - 2004 was a former Edwardian villa, much extended, that we knocked down after 40 years as it was simply too old fashioned for the area.

Hatfield changed dramatically after the closure of British Aerospace in 1993, and dramatic modern buildings such as the Galleria, the University campus, T-Mobile HQ, etc were popping up all over the place.

In the main these buildings are dramatic modern structures, all steel and glass, and that is the new vernacular that we have sought to imitate at Beales Hotel, albeit softened for a hotel by the extensive use of Western Red Cedar for the bedroom cladding and for the Brises soleil that are visible around the public areas.

I hope this explains a little of the rationale for building such a dramatically modern hotel.

Do come again soon, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 8, 2011

First of all, the staff were really excellent - very friendly and helpful. The interior of the hotel was pleasant (as of November 2011) and the room was also pleasant. There was no charge for the use of the television in the room. There was a choice of shower or bath, both ensuite.
However, breakfast was so expensive that I went somewhere else. The worst thing was that I expected a bill for £85 for one night, but when I paid on my debit card I was told that a further £25 was being taken off my debit card and that I would get it back in a few days.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Phil W

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay at Beales Hotel.

I am sorry that our pre authorisation policy wasn't clearly explained to you on arrival. We have a leaflet detailing this which should have been handed to you, and I am guessing wasn't.

In common with most hotels these days, we reserve a small amount extra against your card for other expenditure incurred during your stay. This reservation of funds is lifted soon after departure by your card company, and I trust it has come through now. At no stage do we actually debit any money from your card.

I would also point out that booking breakfast as an addition to your stay is substantially cheaper if done through our website booking engine.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Beales Hotel shortly.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

stayed here following a weekend at The Grove (strictly pleasure!!). This hotel is certainly in a very different setting but offers a very similar standard of service to the grove, it is a little less formal which i like and the staff seem to be a genuinely nice bunch who are happy to help - couldn't get internet to work and the young duty manager duly assisted without fuss.

All in all an excelent hotel and would definately stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments about Beales Hotel.

I am glad we were able to help out with your internet connection issues and I am delighted you found the staff so nice - there is a saying in the hotel business that it is easy to create a great hotel, just employ nice people ! If only it were that easy but there is truth in the phrase.

I am also glad you had a good time at the Grove, which is also a superb hotel.

Do come again sometime soon !

With kindest regards,

Reviewed November 1, 2011

How can this hotel be voted the number one in the whole Heartfordshire remains an uncunny mistery of the likes of the Third Secret of Fatima. It seems to me the typical hotel for unpretentious sales rep , eager to find a bed and a temporary storage for their catalogs. The location is in a highway intersection . Rooms look modern but in fact are worn and cheaply furnished , the pale colours of fixture and fittings not looking too well after a number of years of utilization by hordes of sales reps. TV is small and preposterously looking as it is LCD but it is so small nobody really cares to know . Beds , on their single "version" are superbly uncomfortable giving the user the impression of falling out of bed at every little episode of his/her dreams.
The reception, according to their Eastern European best practice, gave us a quite remarkable "boot-out" for still unclear reasons. At my written complaints, Mr. Beales responded basically denying the circumstances and praising its "two Rosettes restaurant " instead , whatever the connection with the reception could possibly be. The ownership philosophy, for this and the other (much better) parent hotel is that they are doing us A FAVOUR to host us in this "lovely hotel" , as it has been repeated like a mantra through hundreds of replies, a favour regardless of whether we pay by cheque, credit cards or British Pound Sterlings.
Really the best part of this hotel is writing a well-deserved negative review on Tripadvisor and waiting for the implacable response of the ownership. The other good thing is that the ownership is rarely visible at the hotel (being too busy in concocting the "best" answers on this site).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank anticorpo
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

This review is wrong on so many levels that it is hard to know where to start.

The writer is well known to us at Beales Hotels, being a long stay guest with his son at a very discounted rate at West Lodge Park last year and I enjoyed a long conversation with him about his son's schooling, his housing needs etc.

I simply do not understand the level of personal animosity he expresses in this review towards the hard working staff at the hotel and towards myself.

The writer also asserts that he stayed at the hotel in June 2011 - for the record he last stayed in November 2010.

The extraordinary allegation that I am never at Beales Hotel can't be left unchallenged nor the idea that all I do each day is respond toTripadvisor reviews.

Beales Hotel is a wonderful hotel, staffed by amazing people, but I would not for one moment ever say we are perfect, and we take seriously all genuine constructive criticism of our product and services, and when informed either directly or via Tripadvisor that we have done something wrong, we go out of our way to ensure that it is fixed for the next time.

Within this review there is some constructive criticism about issues which we are already actioning - we are instigating a TV and bed replacement programme for example.

However, there is so much hostility in this review as well, that I trust Tripadvisor readers to be able to differentiate facts from wild allegations.

We welcome reviews from our guests, and hope that Tripadvisor readers will read other reviews to get a more balanced impression of the hotel.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Modern friendly hotel with a contempory feel. Ample parking, great location for Hatfield House.
Good room facilities, comfy beds, well stocked bathroom, exceptionally clean. Breakfasts are excellent, great choice, well presented. Restaurant staff are very attentative. Evening menu needs to include a good honest steak (skip the Beales Burger). Try Alex's liquor coffees, best I have ever tasted. We stay here quite frequently & shall continue to do so. Definitly the best hotel in the area.
Still failing to get our favourite 'i' newspaper!!

R & S Stockdale

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms on ground floor, poor insulation, noise transmits from rooms above.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at Beales Hotel.

We are sourcing your favourite "i" newspaper which should not be a problem in future.

I am glad that Alex looked after you so well, with his fantastic liqueur coffees.

We have steak from Bridget Borlase's farm nearby on our menu at all times, and I am sorry we had sold out on the one night you were at the hotel.

Come again soon, we look forward to welcoming you back !

Kindest regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2011

Spent 2 nights at the hotel and it definitely ticked all the right box's. Staff were friendly, attentive and willing to help. The room was excellent, wet room, good bed, bottles of water and tea and coffee facilities. The breakfast again a near ideal layout, with good choice on offer. The manager should be applaued for a well run ship and anyone in the area looking for a room should head to Beales of Hatfield. If in the area we would stay again. (The Kane family).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments following your two night stay at Beales Hotel.

It was a pleasure to welcome you down from Scotland, and I trust you all had a good journey back home at the end of your stay.

Do come again when you are next in the area !

Andrew

Reviewed September 20, 2011

Stayed at this hotel most weeks for about 4 months. Standard of service, accommodation, cleanliness and food were jjust excellent.

As a management consultant and a frequent traveller this is certainly one of the best hotels I have stayed at in the UK. Smart, professional, stylish with great selection of food constantly refreshed with new stuff every week.

Rooms are fresh, clean and beds very comfortable. Also has a great setup for rapid ironing of those work shirts and trouser press for them pant.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere to stay.

My only complaint was the unfriendly front office team leader who seem to lack the tact or understanding on how to combine hospitality with company policy or process. On trying to cancel a booking after a 24hr cut off, bearing in mind I had stayed at the hotel in excess of 30 nights over 3 months I was told company policy is to charge full rate. Although I did not accept this, this was not without argument. This could be easily resolved by taking a course in customer management. And this is the reason I give the hotel 4 and not 5 points

Room Tip: Tried most rooms. All good except the interleading rooms with fold down bed and the disabled room wi...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
andrew19, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments about Beales Hotel.

I am very glad that you have found us to be consistently good over many visits, which is very encouraging for our team.

It is very pleasing too that you have appreciated the weekly changing menu, something of course impossible to find in neighbouring chain hotels.

And sorry naturally that there was a dispute with Mihaela, our Reservations supervisor, who means very well and is an absolutely delightful person, but may have come across a bit brusque. She has been a loyal member of the team for years and is terrific at her job, but would never intend to be sharp with any of our guests.

Do keep coming, it is a pleasure to welcome you back on a regular basis to Beales Hotel, and thank you for the nice comments.

Kindest regards,

Andrew

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
West Lodge Park Hotel
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St. Albans
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Beales Hatfield Hotel? Share your experiences!