“Brilliant weekend”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Thurrock, Essex
“Brilliant weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

6 of us stayed here as a 2-night all inclusive break to celebrate my 60th Birthday. I don't think we could have picked a better hotel. We usually go for olde-worlde places, shying away from modern, but as we only wanted to travel a short distance, this hotel seemed to fit the bill, being only an hour from home. The deal was Bed, Breakfast, Lunch and 2-course dinner for 2 nights, with unlimited tea and coffee during the whole stay and house wine, pumped lager/beer & soft drinks between 7pm & 11pm. We arrived and 4 of us were pleased to have been upgraded to a suite, complete with lounge area. Our 2 friends who weren't upgraded arrived a little after us, so I'm guessing all the upgrades had gone by that time. However, they weren't too upset, as their room was more than adequate, with all the facilities expected in a modern hotel.
We had worried a little when the deal only included a 2-course evening meal, but by the time we had eaten those 2-courses, none of us could have managed dessert. As well as being plentiful, the food was of excellent quality and extremely well cooked. The staff were lovely, friendly and couldn't do enough for us.
We celebrated my birthday on Saturday evening and although my friends had taken banners, a balloon and some 60 confetti, the staff added to the decoration with little crystals on the table, which was set beatifully, and they also presented me with a bottle of Prosecco, which was a wonderful surprise. All in all, the week-end went without a hitch and was of excellent quality. It is difficult to pinpoint any one member of staff as they were all fantastic, but Alison, the bar and restaurant manager, is an absolute treasure.
If we had one very tiny criticism it would be the temperature in the public areas. As the whole front of the hotel is glass and the weather was so windy and wet, it got very cold at times. However, this was overcome by the copious amounts of hot coffee & tea, and a few bevvies. The reception staff did say the cold areas had been reported previously, and the management were looking into central heating. So a good response and hopefully, a remedy.
All in all, this was an excellent deal and enjoyed by all of us, and was certainly an great way to spend a special birthday. Thank you to all the staff (and of course, my friends) for making it so special.

Room Tip: Suites are superb, if you can get an upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank GrannySmith16
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for your review and for choosing to celebrate your 60th birthday at our hotel.

I was very pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the food excellent and the team lovely and friendly. We are very fortunate in have a super brigade of chefs led by Marek and a team who are passionate about customer service.

It's always nice to spoil people when we have the opportunity and I was delighted the extra touches Allison and the team provided helped make your birthday extra special.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed in an executive room right in the corner of the hotel (I think it was the furthest to get to from reception!) while on business - it was a pleasant stay in a spacious room for 2 nights! I had obtained a really good online deal for this type of room which I think would normally cost a lot more.

Breakfast was good and plentiful, staff were friendly and on site parking very handy at the front and rear of the hotel. Fairly small bar was probably my only gripe, but then again it was a very small gripe in comparison to the rest of my stay. Likely to stay here again if given the opportunity!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MishMashed
Thank you for your review.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in June. Our executive rooms are very popular for our business guests particularly those staying for several days.

The price of our executive rooms is £20 more than our standard room which is excellent value as they are twice the size and come with added extras such as mineral water, Nespresso coffee machine, bathrobes, slippers and a fruit bowl. Parking and WiFi is of course included for all our guests.

Thank you for your comments about breakfast and our friendly team. Our bar is quite small although its packed full some lovely drinks from great wines to real ales.

I hope we do see you back in the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed an excellent two- day break at the Hatfield Oak, the first ever all inclusive break we have had at an English hotel. The "all inclusive" element of the break related to the fact that, from 7pm to 11pm each evening, we were permitted to imbibe unlimited wine and beer and that we could have a (very acceptable) sandwich-type lunch each day as well as the usual breakfast and dinner.. We stuck with the wine and I must say it all worked well. I add that the food at the hotel was very good indeed. We were fortunate in that we were upgraded to a spacious Executive Room cum Suite but we saw the ordinary rooms and they looked perfectly fine.

The hotel was first rate but what most impressed us was the staff. They were a mixture of predominantly young Brits and foreigners and they were quite exceptional - unfailingly polite, professional and welcoming. They could not do enough for us. Whoever selected and trained these youngsters has done a great job and they succeeded in lifting the hotel from good to excellent. Well done!

Room Tip: Despite the close proximity to a very busy road, and the fact that our room faced on to the road in...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bobbyram
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your review.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with ourselves. We have a lovely team here of very nice professional people and I am glad their efforts were appreciated.

Many thanks

Calne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

The racket from the road when I arrived made me fear the worst, but once inside it was not a problem. Spacious and comfortable room and a good bathroom. Staff were relaxed, welcoming and helpful.
I arrived towards the end of the breakfast service which was beginning to look a little tired. I was reassured that if I wanted anything fresh there would not be a problem - I am not sure that sends out the right signals when you are looking at fried eggs which have died of old age!
Otherwise an enjoyable visit, which i would be more than happy to repeat.

Room Tip: back from the road would be wise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Nick,

Thank you for your review.

Our guests are often pleasantly surprised by how quiet the hotel is despite the proximity of the motorway, I think we enjoy the best of both worlds with excellent links to the A1 and M25.

I am grateful for your comments with regards your breakfast and agree that the buffet should always look fresh. I will be working with the team to ensure the buffet always look fresh and inviting from the start to the finish of our breakfast service.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

Stamford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

went back for the 3rd time this year, 3 night break, new year celebration good, seemed to be too many people food good but ran out of Yorkshires, too many courses, bacon rolls fantastic, disco good, had 2 nights after new year to get over the night as usual staff excellent nothing to much trouble for them. Roll on our next break later in the year.

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank EnglandMarylou
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for your review.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed celebrating New Years eve with ourselves. We underestimated the popularity of Yorkshire puddings and were sorry that we did not have enough for everyone, we will be doubling the amount we cook next year.

We made two significant additions to our food offering this year with an extra course of haggis being introduced and the serving of bacon rolls with coffee and hot chocolate in the early hours. Thank you for your feedback on both this will be useful as we plan for next year.

We have a lovely team here and I was pleased you appreciated how they looked after you.

Best wishes for 2014 and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Cumbria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Went on a New Year break which I enjoyed probably the company rather than hotel. Reception and bar area were freezing. The entertainment was practically non existent. When it came to New Year's eve it was organised chaos people everywhere we were squashed together with not enough seats for our party with one of them eating from what I can only describe as a sideboard. Our table - 9 of us was blocking the fire exit.
Bar prices were never the same twice, over-rated warm wine but we were offered ice.
Would I recommend definitely not.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DorothyCumbria
Dear Dorothy,

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to read that you were not satisfied with your stay and disagree with much of what you have written.

Regards

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Beales Hatfield Hotel
#5 of 6 in Hatfield
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,018 reviews
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel
BEST WESTERN Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
BEST WESTERN Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City Hotel
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City H...
#2 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22

Been to Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!