“Worth a visit”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on a two night all inclusive break and it was excellent value. The room was clean and comfortable - no view, but we didn't expect one as the hotel is just off the motorway. The staff were fantastic, efficient, friendly and helpful. The food was very good, plenty of choice and freshly cooked. All in all a very enjoyable stay. A big thank you to all the staff for all their hard work

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the team to be fantastic and the food very good.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked an all inclusive deal for 2 nights via Great little breaks and I have to say it was excellent value for money and the hotel was very good.

The rooms are a little basic but otherwise it is a good quality 3* hotel with a comfy bed.

The staff at this hotel go over and beyond their role to ensure you are satisfied. I had a tiny issue with my room as it was on the first floor and at the furthest point away from the reception area and as I have recently had a knee replacement, the stairs and the long walk were a problem. There is no lift at this hotel! Alison the food and beverages Manager overheard me mentioning this tiny problem at reception and she then followed me out to my car to ask us if we would like to change rooms and offered to help us move our stuff which we had already unpacked. The first replacement room offered was 116 and whilst it gave a 'walk in' shower this was to the detriment to the size of the room which meant they had only put a small double bed in it which was very hard and uncomfortable and not suitable but without quibble we were then offered room 115 which was perfect for our needs, meaning the staff were extremely quick to resolve things leaving me very happy. Alison was brilliant.

All of the other staff were also extremely helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them.

On the Saturday there was a wedding and things were quite busy in the bar/lounge area and staff were very kind in offering to bring coffees out onto the terrace for us and apologising for any delays, which were minimum.

The food was brilliant, so credit to an excellent chef as our meals were of top quality. The evening meals were of the highest standard, very tasty and delicious. The chef was happy to swap some items on the menu for healthier options e.g. extra salad, serving any sauces on the side, making me a fresh fruit salad when it wasn't on the menu - brilliant thank you very much.

Breakfast was equally very good although they struggled a little on Sunday to keep up with ensuring the hot food was kept topped up, but as I said there had been a wedding on the day before so breakfast was quite busy. My only gripe was that they ran out of fresh fruit salad by 9.30am and breakfast didn't finish until 11am - not good food stock control! I heard a couple of people moaning about this. Luckily I managed to get mine before it ran out! All the ingredients were of good quality and very tasty.

On the all inclusive deal, we could also have lunch but arrived too late on Friday to have it and we were even offered a packed lunch to take away with us on the Sunday when we checked out instead. This consisted of a triple decker sandwich (with a choice of fillings) a packet of crisps and a piece of fruit.

For £89 per night for 2 people this was a fantastic deal and if repeated I will definitely be back for more.

If you stay at this hotel, please take the time to chat to Alison and the bar staff as they are all very friendly.

Thank you very much everyone, we loved our stay at this hotel.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: There is no lift and some of the rooms are quite a long walk away from reception. Ask for rooms on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Allison,

Thank you for your kind review.

I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Hatfield Oak and delighted that you found the team to be helpful and friendly.

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed earlier in the year at this hotel and it was lovely. We returned on 9 August for a 2 night inclusive break.
I had asked for a quiet room on the booking form. Sadly our room windows looked out on to the courtyard/smoking area with people constantly coming and going and talking - we needed the windows open as it was very warm. Also we were the second room in the corridor leading from reception with a lot of noise from people passing - especially late at night.
The hotel was very busy. There was a party of foreign students staying and on Saturday morning they filled up the dining room for breakfast and people were left queuing in the foyer for a table. This was at 8:10 am.
When we returned to the hotel there was a wedding going on and all the public area was full of the wedding party. There was nowhere to sit. After the wedding party went in for their meal, a group of children from the party ran up and down in the foyer playing "catch" and making a lot of noise which was clearly audible fro the dining room where we were having our evening meal.
The staff of the hotel were as kind and helpful as they had been on our previous visit. The food was good.
To sum up, lovely place to stay in the Spring but avoid in high Summer if you can, and a quiet room, as asked for, would have been lovely!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to read that your experience this month was not as positive as your previous visit to our hotel.

I am sorry that we did not meet your request for a quiter room, Without knowing your booking name I am unable to investigate if your travel agent did not give us this information or if we overlooked this request, if you have the time I would be grateful of you could email me the name you booked under so I may establish this(my email address is gm@hotels-hatfield.com).

As with most popular hotels we do have weddings and other events at weekends throughout the year, but these should not imact on the relaxation on other guests, I will be discussing your comments with my colleagues to ensure we take the correct measures so that this does not happen.

David

It is usual for us to be very busy and this should not impact upon the service givenm to other guests. I remember Saturday morning as it was quite remarkable, we had 70 guests booked for breakfast and unexpectedly 80% came into the restaraunt before 8.15am, I know that Danny (our restaraunt supervisor) served tea and coffee to two parties in the lounge whilst we prepared tables for waiting guests (this may have included yourself?) and I am sorry that we were taken by suprise in this way.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Everything about this hotel is the best. The hotel itself is far better than it looks on the internet, the staff are totally customer focused and all very pleasant, the room was excellent and the food was brilliant !! We stayed for 2 nights and wished we were staying longer .....

Room Tip: Try to choose a room towards the back as the only downfall is that the hotel is by a very busy road.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Jan,

Thank you for your review and for the kind message you sent directly to the hotel.

We are all very pleased that you valued your time at the hotel so highly and that you had an excellent stay with ourselves.

Aldershot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have recently returned from a 2 night weekend stay at the Hatfield Oak Hotel. We stayed on their all-inclusive break which is excellent value for money.

The lounge and bar area of the hotel are comfortable and welcoming and we found all of the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Our room was at the rear of the hotel and was large and comfortable - we had a king-size bed, very pleasant seating area and a nice bathroom. (The bathroom has motion sensor lights - don't sit still in the bath too long!) The rooms have TV, kettle, trouser press and hairdryer.

The all-inclusive option is great - we even had a packed lunch to take out on Saturday. The breakfasts are good with hot and cold buffet. The dinners are excellent - well cooked and presented. We thoroughly enjoyed them on both evenings.

If you fancy some retail therapy the Galeria outlet is 5 minutes drive up the road - we got some great bargains there. Hatfield House is worth a visit as is St. Albans. Several guests used the hotel as a base for going into London.

In short this hotel is a really good choice for a short break - friendly, comfortable and with good food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I was very pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable time at our hotel. I was particular;y pleased to read that you found the team friendly and helpful and our food excellent.

Hatfield House and the Galleria and both within five minutes drive of the hotel and I can highly recommend them.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

staff helpful, rooms nice and tidy, very modern albeit single beds pushed together were a tad uncomfy, food good as are facilities, location just off motorway, would recommend, not the cheapest but affordable

• Stayed July 2013
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay. A small number of our rooms have beds which are designed to be double beds and to seperate into two singles. They are designed in such a way that when configured as a double the join should not be noticable, in view of your comments we will look at these beds and see if we are joining them incorrectly, as I am sure we can resolve this for future guests.

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments

essex, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

had a 3 day stay here and will list my findings as I noted them. bad first, get the rant over with.
1. not good. dead flies/moths/dust along all the window ledges and floors in reception.
2. pillows not to comfy in the bedrooms, softer please for the older folk (my companion, not me ha!)
3. starters arrived on first night which was nothing like what was stated. mentioned it to the staff who apologised and said the chef that night did not have all the ingredients & was trying to make use of what he had. ! not a good idea especially if you are expecting sunblush tomatoes and basil, nothing at all like chopped tomatoes with peppers :( disappointed.
Rant over.
what a lovely place. reception was friendly and precise. we were an early check in and our twin room was ready straight away. freshly aired & cleaned, with a large quantity of clean white towels, a spare loo roll, a selection of toiletries and a tray of complimentary tea's & coffee's ready for our arrival (bathroom fairly modern, bath looked a bit "used" although shower was powerful, all in all it done the job it was intended to do and we had no complaints). Large comfy single beds. desk, chair, t.v, hairdryer, good mirrors and lighting.
Dinner was wonderful, especially the mains and desert. breakfast the following day was really good too, huge selection, well cooked, well presented, waiting staff, alert, prompt, but not hovering. iv been to some 4* restaurants that haven't served up food as good as this. the lunch which was included in our "deal" was also very very good, 1 & half sandwich's each with a selection of crisps & salad on the side plus a portion of chips and free wine/beer/soft drinks & teas/coffees for the same day deal. cant complain at that at all.
The restaurant was small and secluded but fitted the full hotel of guests perfectly, you never felt squashed or on top of each other and had privacy. My companion would also like to point out that milk to accompany her coffee was heated, she states that even in 4/5* establishments they have failed to do that so she was extremely pleased, I have mine black so never take any notice :) Very pleased overall and am surprised that its only 3*. will definitely use again when in the area.

Room Tip: we had a room at the back on the 1st floor over looking the back car-park which has an entrance into...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank social-butterfles
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review.

The Bad
I was sorry to read you found the reception area unclean, I will share your comments with our housekeeper and we will work together to ensure we do better. The merits of pillows vary greatly depending on personal prefference we do keep a supply of softer pillows for guests who prefer this.
I understand your dissapointment with your starter and I can only apologise, clearly they made a mistake and tried to improvise. I agree not a good idea.

The Good
I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay. I am very fortunate in having a great team who have high standards and are passionate about looking after our guests.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Beales Hatfield Hotel
#5 of 6 in Hatfield
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,017 reviews
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel
BEST WESTERN Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
BEST WESTERN Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City Hotel
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City H...
#2 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22

Been to Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!