“will definately recommend & use again”

Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed July 29, 2013

had a 3 day stay here and will list my findings as I noted them. bad first, get the rant over with.
1. not good. dead flies/moths/dust along all the window ledges and floors in reception.
2. pillows not to comfy in the bedrooms, softer please for the older folk (my companion, not me ha!)
3. starters arrived on first night which was nothing like what was stated. mentioned it to the staff who apologised and said the chef that night did not have all the ingredients & was trying to make use of what he had. ! not a good idea especially if you are expecting sunblush tomatoes and basil, nothing at all like chopped tomatoes with peppers :( disappointed.
Rant over.
what a lovely place. reception was friendly and precise. we were an early check in and our twin room was ready straight away. freshly aired & cleaned, with a large quantity of clean white towels, a spare loo roll, a selection of toiletries and a tray of complimentary tea's & coffee's ready for our arrival (bathroom fairly modern, bath looked a bit "used" although shower was powerful, all in all it done the job it was intended to do and we had no complaints). Large comfy single beds. desk, chair, t.v, hairdryer, good mirrors and lighting.
Dinner was wonderful, especially the mains and desert. breakfast the following day was really good too, huge selection, well cooked, well presented, waiting staff, alert, prompt, but not hovering. iv been to some 4* restaurants that haven't served up food as good as this. the lunch which was included in our "deal" was also very very good, 1 & half sandwich's each with a selection of crisps & salad on the side plus a portion of chips and free wine/beer/soft drinks & teas/coffees for the same day deal. cant complain at that at all.
The restaurant was small and secluded but fitted the full hotel of guests perfectly, you never felt squashed or on top of each other and had privacy. My companion would also like to point out that milk to accompany her coffee was heated, she states that even in 4/5* establishments they have failed to do that so she was extremely pleased, I have mine black so never take any notice :) Very pleased overall and am surprised that its only 3*. will definitely use again when in the area.

Room Tip: we had a room at the back on the 1st floor over looking the back car-park which has an entrance into...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank social-butterfles
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for your review.

The Bad
I was sorry to read you found the reception area unclean, I will share your comments with our housekeeper and we will work together to ensure we do better. The merits of pillows vary greatly depending on personal prefference we do keep a supply of softer pillows for guests who prefer this.
I understand your dissapointment with your starter and I can only apologise, clearly they made a mistake and tried to improvise. I agree not a good idea.

The Good
I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay. I am very fortunate in having a great team who have high standards and are passionate about looking after our guests.

Best wishes

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was our second visit to this Hotel to attend the fantastic Folk by the Oak festival at Hatfield Hall. After last year we were looking forward to a relaxing evening meal with a good choice of dishes. What a disappointment, the options especially for vegetarians were limited (the now ubiquitous mushroom risotto or a goats cheese tart). We found a takeaway in town with plenty of choice at a fraction of the restaurant cost. The staff are still very helpful, the rooms are comfortable but the bath was no more than a slipper bath - why bother, rip it out and replace with a decent shower, and then give the bathroom a really good clean. We booked an executive room for the extra space and king size bed, but next time we look at other options in the area.

Dear John,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again when you attended the Folk by the Oak festival, I agree it was a thoroughly enjoyable day and am already looking forward to next year.

I was dissapointed to read that you chose not to eat in our restaraunt and whilst I agree mushroom risotto and goats cheese tart are dishes found in many restaurants popularity alone should not preclude them from featuring on our menu and I do fear you missed a treat.

As you are aware we have a friendly team and I am sure if you had asked for alternatives Marek our head chef would of been very happy to cater for you.

With the exception of our disabled accessible rooms all our rooms include a bath and shower, the baths we have are shallower than often found in British homes and similar to those found in Australia and the US. I am sorry you do not like them.

I do hope you choose to stay with us for the festival next year, I am sure that you will agree, that everyone deserves a second chance?

Kind regards,

David Cooke

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed just one night as we were attending a function nearby.
Didn't expect luxury, but was slightly disappointed at the ripped duvet cover!
Hospitality drawer (a cupboard) contained minimal tea/coffee making facilities, no biscuits, and only enough milk pots for 3 cups - 2 drinks each, 2 pots per cup = 8 pots please!
Clean linen, complimentary shower gels etc.
Adequate for a quick stopover.
Staff welcoming, polite and helpful.

Dear Ali,

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to read that your duvet cover had a tear, I have instructed my Head Housekeeper to inspect all our linen to ensure this is disposed of.

All guests are different and have unique requirements, we find that six milk pots in the rooms suffice for the vast majority of our guess but are always happy to supply more when requested, we also supply jugs of fresh milk on request.

Best wishes

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My partner and i have just returned from a 2 day midweek break through Dealchekers.After reading previous reviews and my partner has walking difficulties I rang your reception requesting a room near to the facilities,On arrival we were allocated room No 106 which was ideal for us As it was during the heatwave ,the room was surprisingly cool and spotlessly clean.We decided do upgrade to all inclusive and for £ 30 was really worth it .
. We never left the hotel during our stay and enjoyed the comfort of the hotel as we are sport fans had a great day watching the Ashes and golf Food superb Staff great in fact a great stay .Please let me know when you have any more deals J.Trachy

2  Thank john t
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear John,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you had a great stay, find our rooms spotlessly clean, the food superb and the team great.

I would be happy to add you to our mailing list if you would be so kind as to provide me with your email address (gm@hotels-hatfield.com).

Regards

Reviewed July 16, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank M_Smith001
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We booked here for a two night all inclusive break through Travelzoo and after reading some previous reviews were a little concerned about the attitude of the staff as they seemed to be quite rude however there has either been a change of personnel or some serious training taken place as every member of staff we encountered was a delight to speak to who always greeted you and were happy to engage in conversation to enquire if everything was ok and make some small talk to make you feel welcome, a special shout out for Alex behind the bar who worked long hours and was always smiling.
It all started well when we entered out double room to find it was a huge suite with a sofa, two chairs and a coffee table, although the room location would not be suitable for the elderly or infirm as it was a long walk with a few steps along the route for us it was no problem and being at the rear of the hotel the room was very quiet.The bed in the room was large but was a ziplink bed so if you rolled into the middle during the night you would find yourself in the ziplink dip which was rather uncomfortable but if you don't move around much it's not a problem as the two beds singularly are quite big.

As the weather was extremely hot the room was surprisingly cool which was good considering there is no air conditioning but the second night it was very hot in the room but luckily we had packed a desk fan in the car as an earlier review had mentioned the lack of aircon so we were prepared but the weather was extreme for this country.
The hotel itself is tired and dated looking and would look so much better for a little DIY in some areas BUT it is very clean so that is a credit to the housekeeping team as so many hotels are well maintained but cleaned badly, it is listed as 3 star and it sits well within that listing so don’t come here expecting 5 star, it is what it is a good value solid 3 star hotel.

We had 2 evening meals and breakfasts on our stay and they were both of good quality, hot and served with a smile in a timely manner and the menu has a nice selection of food to choose from. The bar area is a nice place to relax with various seating spread over a large area partially under conservatory to catch the sunset or even some benches outside the front and the rear of the hotel which unfortunately you have to share with smokers these days.
There is plenty of onsite parking and it is free which is great when you consider you are only 20 mins away from central London so if you want a relaxing break and you like good value for money then book in here you won’t regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel
1  Thank ExcaliberMidlands

Thank you for your super reveiw and in particular for highlighting how happy you were with the service Alex gave to you, I know he will be proud to have been mentioned on Tripadvisor.

I agree our staff are not rude and I am very proud of them, Tripadvisor is a very useful resource in helping to decide where to stay - however it is not perfect and individual reviews must be balanced by the weight of all guests reveiws. We are proud to be rated within the top 10 hotels in Hertfordshire, but not complacent we are not perfect but are always trying to improve the service we offer our guests and the reality is we will sometimes get things wrong.

Again thank you for taking the time to leave such a comprehensive account of your experiences at the Mercure Hatfield Oak.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here for four nights and found the accommodation very good. We asked for a room to the rear ( away from main road ) and had a quiet, spacious room. Very clean.
Facilities in the bar / dining area looked good although we did not sample them.
Staff were very helpful and polite. Dealt with requests promptly. Fresh milk for tea / coffee provided on request and free newspaper in the morning.
The shower , whilst functional , was somewhat dated and out of contrast to the rest of bathroom.
No lift to first floor. Long walk to rear of building -- but we did request a quiet room located there. Good value for money.
We did not use the gym facility.

Dear Colin,

I was glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you found our team to be friendly and polite,

Our bathrooms were refurbished approximately 3 years ago and we hope our guests find them modern and upto date. I would be grateful if you could drop me an email (gm@hotels-hatfield.com) so I may look at the shower in the room you stayed in.

Our rooms are located on the ground and first floor, on your next visit please do ask if you require help with your luggage, as we will be very happy to help.

Regards

David

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Beales Hatfield Hotel
Beales Hatfield Hotel
#1 of 6 in Hatfield
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St. Albans

Been to Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!