“Rude staff”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Rude staff”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is clean and convenient. Massive downfall was the staff, they were very rude. I wouldn't say all their staff were but certainly enough for me to make a point about it. Our waiting staff in the restaurant was one, it felt like it was too much effort to fulfill our requests, when we asked for some ketchup she brought a used pot from another table!

• Stayed June 2013
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I was very dissapointed to read that you found our staff to be rude, please accept my apologies. If you can provide me with the date of your stay so that I can investigate who served you during your stay I would be grateful my email address is gm@hotels-hatfield.com.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Greek first
Somerset
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Owing to a totally unsatisfactory stay at another Mecure hotel, we were eventually offered a night’s stay at another Mecure Hotel. As we were visiting friends in Hatfield, we chose the Mecure Oak.

I have MS and so we needed a room that was accessible and had a walk-in, wet room. The Mecure Oak assured us that they could provide us with such a room and, indeed they did.

This is not a 5 star ‘Country House’ hotel but a very reasonably-priced, convenient hotel with accessible accommodation. My comments are therefore based with this in mind

STAFF.
All the staff we met were pleasant, smiled and were very helpful. First impressions count so to be greeted with a smile and helpful attitude is a great way to start. The staff’s smiling, helpful attitude remained throughout out stay there.

THE ROOM
The room was fine and, for an overnight stopover, it provided all that we required to be comfortable and manage. The wet room was spacious and very easy to use. It is a no-frills room, but despite this, clean, tidy and very adequate.

PARKING
There is plenty of car parking although disabled parking bays were limited to two .,…. as far as we could see. However, this wasn’t an issue as I can use my folding scooter so we simply found a space some way from the entrance to gain good access around the car and I then used my scooter.

DINING ROOM & FOOD
We arranged for our friends to meet us at the hotel as we were eating there. One of our friends also has MS and is confined to a wheelchair, it was therefore a good test of the dining room & staff to see how they coped. There were incredibly helpful and made sue that Nicola, (in the wheelchair), was seated where she was happy and comfortable. They were also very helpful to me, finding me somewhere very close to our table to park my scooter. It was also good to note that the staff addressed Nicola directly rather than talking through Keith (her husband) – it is often the case that wheelchair users are treated as if they are unable to speak for themselves …. The ‘does she take sugar?’ approach. Ten out of ten to the staff here who spoke directly with her and me.

The dinner choice was fairly limited and probably best described as basic faire, however having said this , it was very acceptable, nicely cooked and presented and reasonably priced.

You eat your breakfast in the dining room which is fine with us and breakfast was also very acceptable. I had a cooked breakfast and everything was cooked well, if I was being picky, I would have to say that the sausages were certainly not ‘finest’ but perhaps I am being too pedantic.

For what one pays for B&B at the Oak, it was a very acceptable stay.

I have just two suggestions that would make the stay so much easier for any disabled guests.

1. Our room was quite some distance from reception, as I mentioned this was not a problem for me as I have a folding scooter and wheelchair; however, and this is a something that needs to be considered. There was probably 4 or 5 sets of ‘corridor doors’ to pass through to get to our room. These are all manual and on very strong springs. Some opened towards me as well, something that is impossible to manage by oneself. On one occasion a guest saw me and realised I couldn’t manage by myself, on another occasion a staff member who was cleaning the rooms saw me and opened the doors for me. The rest of my time, I had to ensure my wife always came with me to open the doors. I realise it is an expense, but to have automatic opening doors would make a great difference even for able-bodied guests carrying suitcases. This also applies to the main entrance doors where automatic doors would be extremely helpful.

2. On one occasion we decided it would be shorter to take the back route to the rear car park. This was fine until we discovered that halfway there, there is a set of steps. As this was the shortest distance from the rear car park to the hotel, a ramp, instead of steps would be of great help to those wheelchair and scooter users.

This stay was in a different league to that we experienced at the Mecure Hotel in Banbury and we would definitely stay again if we needed somewhere accessible to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StocklinchTraveller
Dear Mr Tucker,

Thank you for your kind review.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and am grateful for the constructive comments you have made which I will share with the team as we look to make improvements.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Perhaps its me and I have been spoilt by London hotels, I wouldn't recommend this place. My room was tired, and very hot. The breakfast didn't look fantastic, and the bathroom although very clean wasn't the best in the world.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy staying at our hotel.

If you feel there may be any constructive comments which will help us improve our offering please do drop me an email - gm@hotels-hatfield.com

australia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Room was comfortable enough however the reception staff were rude and unhelpful. Breakfast was good and dining room staff were pleasant enough. Plenty of car parking. Cigarette butts were scattered outside the entry doors which was not very pleasant. Okay for a short stay but would not stay here again mainly due to rudeness of some staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Tracy,

Thank you for your review.

I was very dissapointed to read that you found a member of our reception team to be rude and would like to apologise that this was the case.

We are often complimented on the friendliness of our team and when we get things wrong we would like to rectify this as soon as possible. I would be grateful if you could drop me a quick email (gm@hotels-hatfield.com) detailing the date of your stay so that I may investigate why the service you recieved was below our usual standards.

Many thanks

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Thank you very much for the lovely 2 nights stay at your hotel last
week.

As you know, it was the first time I have been to your hotel and I have
been truly impressed by your assistance, cooperation and just overall
eagerness to help.

From the minute I spoke with Poonam to the time we walked through
your doors, we were welcomed and you were exceptional with your
hospitality and genuine friendliness.

The hotel has a good feel and everyone in our party of 56 (!) had only
good things to say about you and your hotel.

I will definitely be using you for other conferences and
I sincerely hope to be in touch very soon.

Many thanks for everything and special mention goes to:
Poonam - who got the ball rolling and stayed on top of everything
Denise - who took over and was with me every step of the way
Allison - who stepped in when we arrived at the hotel
Lucy - who very kindly saw to our every request and was on hand to find solutions for every issue!

Once again many thanks as you truely helped to make our trip an enjoyable and memorable one!

Well done for an excellent job!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dinah A
Dear Dinah,

Thank you for your excellent review.

We are very fortunate to have many excellent people in our team and I was delighted to learn that Poonam, Denise, Allison and Lucy made such a good impression.

It was a real pleasure to look after your group and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Stalybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel to attend a wedding close by. We arrived with our 11 year old son and checked in with Anete, who made us feel most welcome. It became apparent that our executive room (125) was not ready as the sofa bed hadn't been made. Anete apologised and rectified the problem immediately, as a member of staff came to the room within minutes. As she made the bed, she gave us some advice as to what to do and see in the area, which included Hatfield house..
We were really impressed with the room which was very spacious and well equipped. There was a Nespresso machine, along with the usual coffee and tea sachets, a small fruit basket and complementary robes and slippers! The super kingsize bed was comfortable and well presented.
However, as we eventually went to bed our son could not sleep due to the springs being worn out and he could feel every spring in the sofa bed! We brought this to the attention of the management the next morning.. They were very apologetic and offered to change rooms for us, and as we were going out, stated that this would be organised for our return when they would help with our luggage. When we returned from Hatfield House, we were told that they had added an extra bed to the room instead. The room was so spacious that, even with the extra bed, there was still plenty of room.
The bathroom was adequate, there is a couple of small stains on the toilet seat, which obviously won't come off, but it's only a small point along with a few mildew spots on the shower door. Hardly worth mentioning as we were already surprised that this is only a 3 star hotel.
This is the first report we have written, as we normally would not be compelled to do so, but felt so strongly about this hotel that we wrote this with another 2 days of our holiday left!!!
We have not come here expecting perfection, but have been really impressed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Martyn E
Dear Martyn,

Thank you for your generous review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that when things were not right we dealt with this to your satisfaction.

Aldershot, Hants
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Myself and my partner returned here for another relaxing all inclusive weekend break.

We stayed here earlier in the year and were bowled over with the value for money & quality of food etc coupled with the excellent staff. This time was just as good, if not better as we brought the sun with us!

We saw Alison the restaurant manageress on reception when we arrived and she remembered us from last time which was nice. We also met the lovely Liena who I have always dealt with when booking via email etc and it was great to put a face to the name. (She arranged for us to have the same room 117 as last time)

All of the staff we came across throughout our stay were top class but one deserves special recognition - Lucy - Nothing & I mean NOTHING was too much trouble for her. Despite being very busy at times she was always on top of things and puts her customers first. She is one for future promotion without doubt.

We hope to return again later this year if we get chance - can't wait!

Room Tip: The executive suites are well worth the upgrade if staying more than 1 night.