“Great room, friendly bar staff.”

Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here with my partner for my graduation in St Albans on 23rd of November 2012, we had walked passed the hotel when we where at University in Hatfield and it had always looked good on the inside. The hotel is close to the university and night club and has good transport links by bus to St Albans.

We upgraded to a superior room and the room was amazing. It had a sofa and chairs with table as well as a large king size bed, good t.v, coffee machine and a good sized bathroom. However the bed was very soft and the windows would be great if they had some netting for privacy. We did get a little disturbed by noise from outside car park early morning but didn't last long.

The bar staff amazing and polite, nothing was too much trouble. Even though there was a function on you couldn't hear the noise from the room. The room was clean and fresh and the color blue was great.

Downfalls however:
-We where able to check out at 12 for free but when we left our nice warm room we where greeted with freezing cold corridors that housekeeping had prompt the doors open, I had to put my jacket on. Being November it was very cold and this should be an issue that management should address, working in a hotel myself I know fire doors should never be prompt open and its also very undesirable for guests.
-Room service charge of £5 per person is way to overpriced. Most hotels charge £3 per tray service not per person, £5 is just to much and put us off ordering room service food. Our room was on the second floor at the back so walking round the long corridors and stairs to get a drink from the bar to take to your room puts you off ordering anything from the bar.
- Breakfast took a little to long to get to us, we went down 15 minutes before it shut and the hot buffet had already been turned off so we had to order from the menu. Our tea and coffee took a bit to long to arrive and I had to ask twice for my boiled eggs. Which arrived just as my partner was finishing his full English.

Room Tip: Upgrade! It's worth every penny! Go down to breakfast early to avoid slow service and limited...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we are grateful for the constructive comments you have made.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was our first time using any of the hotels in the Mecure chain, very nicely surprised. The staff were freindly and efficient, the room was comfortable with nice added extras and the food was excellent. A useful place to stop if you are visiting London, Hatfield station is just a few minutes drive away. Overall, a very positive experience; we would stay again and recommend to our friends and family.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keith P
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Keith,

Thank you for your kind review.

I was pleased to read that your first stay in a Mercure hotel was a positive one.

I agree we are excellently located for a visit to London with trains from hatfield taking only 22 minutes. and parking at weekends and evenings only costing £2.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

went to the Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel last sunday for a 3 night break, which also included an excellent new years eve gala party. Champagne reception started the celebrations with a piper piping us into the function room. Party room was decorated in black white and silver and looked magnificent. Food was very good with soup to start, roast or salad and a great array of sweets. Although room was packed everything was very well organised. Disco was excellent. This was our second New years eve party at the oak but we have stayed on many occasions on their all inclusive basis. The management, staff and chef are excellent and give their all to ensure that the customer is looked after, nothing is too much for them. Well done everybody at the oak and hope to see you very soon for another break.

Room Tip: all rooms very good
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Mary Lou,

Thank you for such a wonderful review.

The team work so very hard planninng and organising the event and of course those who worked on the evening itself worked tirelessley, it is so very nice to know it was appreciated.

I am glad you thought the Orchard suite looked magnificent a number of people helped put it together but our chief designers were Poonam and Allison who are both very stylish ladies who have some lovely creative touches and boast excellent attention to detail.

Our Kitchen team has been in place for 15 months now and led by our Head Chef Tomas Kardos still keep impressing and suprising us with the quality of their food.

Our Valentines party is only a month away, so perhaps we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Best Wishes

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We used the Mercure for an overnight stay en route to pick up our granddaughter from university in Greenwich.
It was easy to find from the M1 south and gave us easy access to the M25 next morning.
We arrived late and there was a huge party going on. The receptionist was really helpful and allocated us a room far away from any noise.
The room was extremely clean, well laid out and the beds were very comfortable. Free WiFi was a bonus.
The breakfast next day was excellent and the restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful.
All in all a very pleasant experience at a remarkable price.

Room Tip: I am not sure if there is a lift (elevator), so anyone with walking difficulties should request a ro...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your review.

I agree our location for the motorways is terrific, we are 1/2 a mile from both junctions 2 and 3 of the A1 and guest can be on the M25 within five minutes of leaving the hotel.

I was very pleased you found the room to be extremely clean I have a terrific housekeeping team led by my Head Housekeeper Paulina and it is very nice for their work to be noticed and commented on - thank you.

Best Wishes

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on a Monday night to attend a party in nearby St. Albans. Our satnav took us to a small residential area, but a quick phone call to the hotel reception gave us good directions and we arrived a couple of minutes later. Booking in was quick and efficient and yes, we had a route march to the room, but that did not matter because it was at the back of the hotel and in the quietest part - so distance was not a problem and in fact was appreciated!
The room lovely and cleanliness perfect. We found the staff to be courteous and efficient. We had an early start the following day, so did not stop for breakfast, but enjoyed our problem free stay at this hotel. Thank you Mecure

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the hotel are likely to be quieter and away from any road noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the team to be courteous and efficient.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

i arrived saturday 8th December with a coach party from London at about 8-15pm. The hotel was warm and welcoming and so was the staff. After receiving my key, i then had a route march to my room. The room was great. It was warm, clean, and welcoming. Nice clean bathroom and a large tv.
At this time i was ready for a cup of tea but i could not find the tea making facilities. Room service was quoting a price of £3.50 for a cup of tea! Forget it. i did not dine in the restaurant because i had eaten earlier in London.
After a good night's rest i was ready for a morning cuppa but of course no tea making facilities. Never mind, i was staying for breakfast before starting my onward journey at 09-30am.

I arrived at the restaurant for breakfast and was asked if i would like tea and toast (no brown bread/toast was offered). I made my way to the cereals and fruit juice but could not help but notice there was four diners with various plates of food on plates WAITING for the staff to replenish the empty food dishes with fried eggs, sausages etc. One diner decided he had had enough of waiting and sat down to eat the food on his plate whilst it was still hot.

Commencing my breakfast; after 5-10 minutes i had to ASK for my tea. Then i had to join the wait for cooked food. Finally, i had to ASK for butter as there was none. Of course i got the usual 'sorry about that' reply. (Don't you get tired of them).

When i finally booked out, the receptionist asked if everything was ok and i replied that i was surprised that there was no tea making facilities. She replied that there was but they were tucked away in a cupboard! Well why not leave a notice that informs the customer where the facilities are located? This way they do not have to consider paying £3.50 for tea/coffee via room service.
I appreciate that this was possibly a busy weekend and a bottleneck on a Sunday morning occurred resulting in a high demand for breakfast at a key time.
The service needs to be fine tuned to anticipate this in future......

Room Tip: Try and get a room nearer the reception rather than a route march away. Look and check for the tea...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Thank you for your review.

I am very grateful for the constructive observations you have made. Most of our bedrooms have signs on drawers identifying them as containing a hospitality tray, a few do not and I have instructed our housekeeping and maintenance teams to ensure all rooms have these signs fitted.

I was dissapointed to read your comments with regards breakfast, Sunday mornings are often the busiest time of the week for hotel restaurants and whilst this makes it a challenge to retain our high levels of service it is one we know about in advance. I will be meeting with my food and beverage manager to agree the best way we can improve our service during this busy time.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a reveiw I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here for one night because of graduation in St Albans. We had booked two rooms, one for us and one for our daughter. Both rooms were clean and of average size. Beds were comfy enough. The staff were very friendly, understanding about our daughter coming later and asking lots of questions about our trip. Coffees and drinks were a little overpriced and they took a long time to come, but staff were apologetic about this. At reception they did manage to get our rooms mixed up, so that we had the room for single occupancy with only one set of towels but it was not a huge problem. It did get pretty noisy as people returned from wherever late at night and there were some strange mechanical noises which woke us early. The hotel itself is very convenient for the M25. Breakfast was a bit average, with not too much choice. The fruit salad was ready prepared in ice cream sundae dishs - definitley looked like last night's left overs and not very appetising. Overall an ok hotel with good customer service but I would not want to stay here for nights on end if I was on business.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay and with regards to breakfast I have spoken with my chef to ensure our fruit salads look good and are freshly made each morning.

David

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Beales Hatfield Hotel
Ramada Hatfield
#5 of 6 in Hatfield
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St. Albans

Been to Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!