“Tastecard restaurant booking”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
south-east
“Tastecard restaurant booking”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The Ramada, Hatfield, (The Comet Brasserie) is on the Tastecard register (50% off or 2 for 1), so it was the ideal place for a quick stop en route whilst travelling. A phone call from the car on the M25 quickly secured a reservation in their Brasserie within a 30 minute timescale. We arrived on time and were immediately shown to a table in the Brasserie restaurant. Our food was ordered and produced within 15 minutes of selection; it was well cooked and well presented but very over priced. Our Tastecard saving was swallowed up by the excessive charge but the visit suited our purposes and within about an hour we were swiftly on the road again and sustained for the second part of our journey. This is not somewhere I would choose to go for a meal under normal circumstances.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read you found booking easy, the food well cooked and presented and the service efficient. I note your comments on the food prices. Our prices are in line with other hotel restaurants in Hatfield and surrounding area however we will shortly be writing a new menu and will review pricing at the same time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Scalby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed one night 25 Jan 14 with a National Holidays trip to Harry Potter and London. My list is too long so I will summarise:
Room key didn't work - to reception
Room key didn't work without intervention
COrridors stunk of cigarette smoke
Room key got us in - to find it was someone else's room with all their belongings (0125)
Back to reception - given another key "I apolgise"
Room key didn't work back to reception
Key reset again back to room
Finally got in
TV didn't work - call to reception again
No instruction where to go for meal - no tables.
Told had to wait (even though we were originally told 9pm)
Food choices segregated between our group and others - very little choice, dried up and not appetising. "Curry" was just container of gravy with oil sat on top and very little meat. Frozen fish heated, another 10 minute wait to fill them up. Mushy peas in cereal bowl - obviously not enough for coach load. None more available.
Puddings - 3 to choose from for "the others" - one for us until the "others" had finished then we "could have from this side now if you like".
Staff rude and unhappy
Back to room TV turned off every minute - gave up after turning it back on 12 times (and no there was not any timers set on it)
Breakfast better - but groups of two told to sit in bar at bar tables, stooped down over low tables. Only scrambled egg - cold and rubbery. Toaster didn't toast the first time round but queue too large to put in for second toasting.
Fruit juices tasted of water - watered down?
Asked for complaints form - don't have any (run out probably!). NO compensation given for room mixes up not even a complimentary drink.
Don't bother.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't already belong to anyone else. Also there is not a lift so bewar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and apologies for your poor experience. This experience has already been reviewed on 27th January entitled "Don't go if you don't have to". I have responded directly to the guest following an e-mail and have made a goodwill gesture refund.
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were given our keys and told how to get to our room, we got to our room to find the key didn't work, so a trip back to reception was made. They re programmed it and we tried again. The first few attempts we couldn't get in, but eventually we did, only to find that it was in fact somebody else's room, with drinks and clothes laid out, obviously we exited very quickly! Back down to reception to be told the computer had printed the wrong number, and gave us our new room card and number. Off we went. We couldn't get in to this room either, so I went back down to reception, again, and explained the situation. The key was once again re programmed. This time we got into the room, which thankfully wasn't already in use and put the telly on while getting ready for dinner. The telly didn't work.
I called reception who sent someone up and she seemed to have fixed it, so we went for dinner (which is another story!) and once back put the telly back on but actually it kept turning itself off every minute, and after 10 attempts at keeping it on we gave up!
Dinner... Well that was an experience. We were part of a coach trip and were told the food wasn't ready (at 9pm) and we had to wait. The waiters and waitresses were rude, one almost knocked me over and didn't seem to notice, another was talking to himself about how "crazy" it was! The food had practically run out and what there was to eat was a strange mixture. A few vegetables, beef curry, cheesy pasta or fish and wedges (which were pre packed and not fresh or home made) My plate was taken before we had both finished our meals and by this time we were very fed up!
Breakfast was on the whole fine, but cold. The toaster didn't toast and we were segregated from other guests and made to sit in the bar. My plate was once again taken before I had finished.

At one point I did ask for a complaints form but they don't have any, so was given the email address of the manager, whom I will be contacting. We were never offered any kind of compensation or apology apart from the occasional "we're sorry about that". But after 5 trips and one phone call to reception in 20 minutes, that didn't really cut it.

All in all I wouldn't want to stay at the hotel again, and wouldn't recommend it. It nearly ruined our weekend away.

Stayed January 2014
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read your comments and apologise. I will of course respond to your e-mail once received.

Travelers are raving about these Hatfield hotels

Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night when we went to Warner Bros Studios to see the making of Harry Potter. We got a really good deal, Ramada were doing 50,000 rooms at £20 each and we got one of those. The hotel itself looks old and tired from the outside and the rooms inside are old fashioned although they are clean which to be honest is one of the main things for me. The bathroom was ok and the room was spacious, tea and coffee was provided on a tray and there was a flat screen TV. The bed was plenty big enough but the mattress was horrendous, the springs were completely shot and I've had neck ache ever since staying in it!!! I definitely wouldn't have wanted to stay more than one night, it's in dire need of an upgrade but for £20 we couldn't complain, I certainly wouldn't want to pay full price though!!

The location is ok if you have a car, we drove to the train station, left the car there and went into london for the night (20 min train ride) and it's around a 20 min car ride from Warner Bros studio.

Breakfast wasn't worth the £10, very minimal choice and the hot stuff had been there a while, I'd recommend looking elsewhere for your morning meal!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you found your bedroom spacious & clean. I agree that the hotel is ideally located as a base to visit Warner Brothers The Making of Harry Potter Studio Tour and London.
I am surprised with your feedback on our breakfast. Our breakfast does meets the Ramada standard and I feel does have a very wide choice. As well as a Full English Breakfast the hotel offers cereals, fresh fruit, dried fruit & nuts, yoghurts, cold meats & cheese, danish pastries, chocolate brioche, croissants, muffins, breads & jams, juices and omelettes!
The hotel owners do read Tripadvisor and will take note of your feedback regarding an upgrade of decor and mattresses.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Beales Hatfield Hotel
Beales Hatfield Hotel
#1 of 6 in Hatfield
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City Hotel
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City H...
#2 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Mercure London Watford Hotel
BEST WESTERN Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
BEST WESTERN Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Ramada Hatfield? Share your experiences!