“And the winner is........”

The White Horse Harpenden
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Horse Harpenden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 85 Restaurants in Harpenden
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The fashion for TV shows to prolong announcement of winners (or losers) by prolonged silences with drum rolls was entertaining for about two seconds but prolonged waits can be infuriating. This is the failing of the White Horse which we visited on 22nd August. I note that previous reviewers have criticised the food but the food was good and was not an issue (certainly with what we chose). It was the waiting that spoiled the experience. Initially we were greeted by a very friendly waitress who was very helpful with menu's etc. However once our order had been placed then things slowed up. Getting slower between each course. Finally what seemed like an eternity waiting for coffee, we had to cancel coffee and leave. The duty manager was very apologetic but the fundamental failing here appears to be a lack of staff. The restaurant was by no means full and they were struggling with so few staff. It was a shame as the service we had was friendly and the food was good. I hope that this improves as it is a lovely setting and has some good positives about the place.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have been to this restaurant twice. The first time was a busy Saturday evening and the atmosphere was pleasant though the food was unremarkable. The second time was a Sunday evening for an anniversary dinner. It was quiet and the interior felt quite dull and unremarkable without customers to cheer it up. The service was distinctly shoddy. We stood at the entrance for several minutes, while several members of staff walked past us and were finally seated when we approached someone. The food was really mediocre for the prices. Some nice wine on the wine list was the only redeeming feature. Won't be going back.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Always great service even when busy. Well run and managed by the lovely Kate and team. Always busy restaurant though I avoid Sunday lunchtime till 4pm as its jammed full.... Toilets always clean - really important indicator in my book

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I went to the White Horse in Harpenden a couple of days ago. I hadn't been for a while and had heard some great reviews. I can't believe how wonderful it is now, a proper little pub with great decent pub/restaurant food. You get a friendly welcome when you enter and there isn't anything that is to much trouble and the staff look like they enjoy their jobs, which is quite hard to come about these days. I went with my husband and his parents that were staying over with us, they only want to eat there from now on (and they are incredibly picky!). I can't recommend highly enough that you visit, I'm gutted that I have taken so long to venture back in.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My friend and I visited for Sunday Lunch and like the earlier review we opted for the Lamb and had a very similar experience.

The meat was poor quality and you had to pick your way through it, leaving more behind than consumed. The "roast" potatoes looked and tasted like they were reconstituted and had to be returned (the replacements were equally inedible) and the mint sauce also arrived in it's original jar. We were only given one small bowl of vegetables to share between us and not generally being dessert people we were forced into ordering one each simply to satisfy our hunger.

We did complain and the waitress who said "she would tell the kitchen" but we heard nothing further.

A real shame as I live locally and have enjoyed numerous evening meals here in the past and would continue to recommend the evening a-la-carte experience. For a not inexpensive Sunday lunch however I would give it a miss.

1  Thank GFC64