“Excellent yet again”

The White Horse Harpenden
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Horse Harpenden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 78 Restaurants in Harpenden
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Herts, England
“Excellent yet again”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had a lovely Friday lunch here a couple of weeks ago. Four of us went on spec, it was busy but we still got a table. Charming staff who don't take themselves too seriously. Good food, not haute-cuisine, but what do you expect for the prices charged? I have eaten here at least a dozen times since it became a gastropub about 6-7 years ago.Since the Novelli name was removed (when it was a bit up itself) and the then brief tenure of the more recent failed owners (when the food was great but service was too uptight) this is now one of my two favourite Harpenden restaurants (Bar Azita is the other). Congrats go to the current owners for getting the balance just right. Good food served by nice people at a reasonable price!

oxfordshire
“Fabulous in every way!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

What a great experience from beginning to end! We went on a busy Saturday lunch, and despite the number of people, the staff not only had everything under control, but seemed to be enjoying the buzz as much as we were!

We were greeted by big smiles all round, and I immediately felt we were in the right place. We started with a glass of bubbles in the bar, which was crisp, dry, and fresh (I can recommned the Proseco as a great value option!). While sipping away, we all struggled to come to our decisions as to what to eat - which with 3 fellow foodies, who know their stuff, this is no easy feat!

My friends opted for a deli board and I went for the Vege Pate - as a vegetarian, its nice to see something different to "stuffed pepper", I can tell you. The famous "share plates" you see so often these days are pretty much run of the mill, but I have to say, the quality of each little dish was second to none. Clearly some thought has gone into where these guys source their ingredients from!

We washed away our starters with a bottle of the house white - cheapest on the list, and yet still great quality!

Our main courses were all served to prefection, and one of my friends went some what bonkers over her Trout Fillet! By this point we were all in great spirits, and enjoying the efficient, yet friendly and unhurried service.

We finished with a lovely selection of coffee´s, and as I mentioned before, what really impressed with the consistency in quality, and attention to detail.

With so many "gastro Pubs" out there now, I am so often left disapointed by lousy, uninterested service, and boil in the bag food at resturant prices, however, The White Horse seem to have it just right! The team make you feel special, the food makes you feel like royality, and the atmosphere makes you feel you´re having a party with lots of lovely friends!

You get what you pay for, and I believe that this pub is worth every penny! I will be back as often as possible, you can be sure of that!

north london
“Good pint of Guinness, but poor food”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Have not been for several years, tried it again last evening. The Guinness was great, the food poor. The broccoli and spinach soup was tasteless, the ceasar salad was almost as bad. The choices on the menu were unattractive. The dining room was busy and the staff friendly but the quality of the food was really not good. Overall a disappointment.

Uk
“Good atmosphere and food!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have visited 2 other gastro pubs in this small chain - The Black horse at Woburn and the Swan at Salford. The White Horse has the pleasant airy interior of the Swan and the friendly efficient service of the Black Swan. No wonder we could not book a table there for a Saturday night at short notice! I will remember to book ahead next time! This is a lovely venue and the food is excellent without being exorbitantly priced.

• Visited February 2013
Redditch
“Fantastic Lunch”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have just got back from a great lunch at the White Horse, one of the best steaks I have ever had and the staff were friendly and welcoming and a very cold spring day they made it a wonderful party atmosphere for my brothers birthday a true home from home , thank you all at the White Horse for making it a remarkable experience.