“Strange and stilted service plus cold food = disappointing second visit”
Review of That Little Place - CLOSED

That Little Place
Cuisines: Scottish, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A year on from our first visit and hubby and I decided to try TLP again, and I'm sorry to say I don't think we'll be going back. I really liked our first visit, but in hindsight, what I thought was their 'quirky' style of service was, and remains, well ... just odd really. It's quite hard to describe, but it's almost as if everyone serving is on their first ever night in front of customers. There's a strange sort of nervousness to everything - no banter, no smiles, no "How are you this evening?", just stilted handing over of menus and taking orders, all the time referring to a scrappy bit of paper indicating what they have left in the kitchen. My better half can't even remember what he had to eat, so clearly it wasn't memorable, though he had no complaints. I, on the other hand, remember my main, which was white fish (can't remember which one) in a parsley sauce with mash. Well, apart from the fact it was just basically nursery food (nothing wrong with that, but I was expecting a bit more finesse than I could have chucked together for my kids), the stupendously enormous amount of mash was completely cold. And I mean completely - I could not have warmed an ant's bottom on it, should I have wished to do such a strange thing, so I dread to think how long it had been sitting about waiting before it turned up in front of me. Naturally, I returned it and it came back a few minutes later hotter than the surface of Venus, so I suspect microwaves were involved. I had the cheeseboard afterwards which was delicious and very nicely presented, but it's not exactly taxing for the chef to arrange some cheese and chutney on a board. I really wanted to like my second visit as much as my first, but I found it all a bit strained and it didn't make for a relaxing evening. I'm all in favour of supporting local businesses, but I'm sad to say I can't see a third visit on the cards any time soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a family meal here one Sunday in January and had booked in advance. it was fortunate that we did as the staff were turning people away which was surprising as there were many empty tables! We thought the menu was quite limited. There was only one vegetarian option and unfortunately this wasn't appetising. They had also sold out of other dishes. The roast dinner was ok but the lamb very fatty which left a tiny amount of meat.
The biggest disappointment was the disjointed service. We waited ages to make our drinks orders then the waiter asked to take our food orders before he'd even given us the menus!
It didn't impress me as much to want to go back again unfortunately.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Poor service let them down. Seemed to be the owner serving and he was monosyllabic and uncommunicative and made no attempt to integrate with the customers, the meal was ok. Goats cheese cakes were ok, if a little mushy. Had to have the pollock, as virtually everything else has mushrooms in it which I don't like. Turned out to be a huge mound of mash with a few pieces of fish on top, and all swimming in parsley sauce which was pretty bland. Still, we all had a good time, despite the poor service, which included serving the wrong meal to one person!

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I ate here last night for Valentines Day (14/02/13).
I can safely say I wouldn't not return.
Nothing in this "restaurant" felt romantic or special, seeing as they had done a valentines menu. The menu was appalling! I had the vegetable soup for starter. The soup was ridiculously over seasoned with pepper. I like pepper on my food but when all you can taste is pepper, it's by good!
Mains they had 4 dishes. A goats cheese dish, steak and ale pie, venison and a lamb dish. I would of like to have the lamb dish but I couldn't have it because it had almonds in and I am allergic. I don't like any of the other dishes so I had to settle for the venison dish. When it arrived I didn't eat anything other than the few vegetables on the sauce. The menu was unbelievable poor and not well thought out. It was literally glorified pub food. I thick I would of preferred to eat pub food.
For dessert there were 3 options. Lemon pudding, which did sound lovely, banana and toffee pudding and a chocolate orange mousse. I had the chocolate orange mousse. It was very heavy mousse with what seemed like squirty cream on the top garnished with a small clementine segment.
There were very few options to choose from in regards to glasses of wine and even then they only did one measurement. The only good thing about this "restaurant" is that they brew their own ale. Which my partner thoroughly enjoyed.

It's safe to say I would not recommend this place nor would I be returning.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I desperately wanted to like this family run restaurant with its local food, microbrewery beer and cosy atmosphere, but sadly it was a let down. This is the first negative review I have left for a restaurant, and I partly wanted to because our experience was quite at odds with a majority of the reviews here.

Firstly we were sat at a very wobbly table, which was politely fixed, and easily forgiven. While we were choosing a lady at another table complained about the chips, saying they should be crunchy to be chips. So, we got a little concerned at that point.

My first choice starter wasn't available, again easily forgiven. My wife decided to brave the chips and order pie and chips. However, this also wasn't available any longer (8:10pm) as was the second main she tried to order. So in all three dishes we wanted weren't available earlyish on a Saturday evening. Not so easily forgiven, particularly because they didn't tell us before we chose our dishes.

We were given some nice bread rolls to dip in olive oil and caramelised balsamic vinegar. This was followed by a starter of deep fried goats cheese with a chutney. This tasted fine but the goats cheese breadcrumb looked anaemic and disintegrated as you put your fork into it. The chutney was too runny as well. Nearly there though, and the most important thing was it tasted good.

The mains is where it went really went wrong. They forgot our side order of veg, when we realised it wasn't coming we asked and were told it would be 5 minutes to get some, too late for our mains so we cancelled it. So no veg for our mains, very annoying.

The pollock dish that my wife ended up on looked like it was slopped on the plate, bland, stodgy and the sort of food that if you threw together yourself you'd think was just about adequate. It's probably one of the most disappointing dishes we've ever had.

My beef stroganoff wasn't unpleasant but was again just the sort of food like I could throw together myself, one dimensional and just felt far too expensive for what it was. The portion was huge, too much so for me, but I imagine some would be happy with it. I would be much happier with half as much but more flavour or at least it being cheaper.

To top it off, they put the wrong amount into the credit card machine, too little, but I only noticed afterwards when I realised that the small tip we gave happened to have brought it up to the real cost. The machine ran out of paper, which of course we can't blame them for, but by this point it started to become farcical.

There is a very strange discrepancy between the excellent reviews and the fact that this restaurant was a third empty on a Saturday night. However, based on the food and service we received I can see why it wasn't packed. A friend of ours told us they had a very similar experience and that it was quite empty when they went too.

This place has some potential but they seriously need to up their game on all fronts including increasing their attention to detail and upping the level of professionalism. I really hope they do because it would be lovely to have a good independent restaurant that serves local food. As it stands it is overpriced with fairly poor food and we certainly won't be going back.

3  Thank Steve7a