“The reasonable food is not worth the stress from the 'service'”
Review of Slug & Lettuce

Slug & Lettuce
Ranked #64 of 78 Restaurants in Harpenden
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2012

what can I say? I have been going here every now and again, and continually decide to give it another chance. On the odd occasion the service has been passable. Today is was appalling.
So, we get there and there is a new sign up saying "take a seat, we'll be with you shortly". I think I have a different interpretation of this to the staff. Probably 10 minutes at least, more like 15. Was it busy? No. 4 others tables occupied, and 3 or 4 members of staff front of house.
They should have been able to cope.
They couldn't. Actually, they could have done but they had too many other things to do. Like chat, and wipe down tables instead of actually taking orders and getting drinks etc.
Perhaps the most farcical part was how long it took the drinks to arrive. Not the hot drinks, we used a calendar rather than a watch for that, the glasses of fruit juice.
When we questioned where the drinks were we were told there were a back up at the bar. We actually (rudely I admit) laughed in the waitresses face. There was an inordinate amount of chatting amongst the staff. the idiot 'working' the coffee machine spent more time chatting than doing anything else.
Oh, and the kitchen staff were regularly re-hitting the bell to get food collected from the kitchen. Obviously the waiting staff were so busy with the handful of tables occupied they couldn't possibly go and collect the food from the kitchen.
The plus point? As usually experienced the food itself is quite good and doesn't take that long to arrive so this review is absolutely not a dig at the kitchen staff who do a competent job - hence the Poor grade rather than the Terrible the service deserves. The fact that it takes the bar staff as long to pour a glass of fruit juice or make a cup of coffee as it takes the kitchen to make a full English breakfast speaks for itself.

3  Thank Jellyfish_Electric

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The service is far too slow with incompetent staff. Yesterday we ordered 2 coffees. They took our money and a few minutes later announced they'd run out of milk and had to wait half an hour for someone to nip a few doors down to Sainsburys to get some more - absolutely unacceptable!

4  Thank Cathy N
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just been to the Slug & Lettuce in Harpenden. First time there, we usually go to Costa next door. Should have stuck to Costa. Ok so first up, it's not the cleanest place I have been in. Table we sat at was dirty, chairs were dirty and it all had a bit of a "greasy spoon" feel to it. Waitress was quick to see to us. She was pleasant enough but seemed to have this look of being constantly scared someone was going to shout at her? Going on the quality of food I am not surprised! We had been to the Slug & Lettuce in St Albans a few weeks before and the food we had there was not great and took forever to come out so we figured the burgers would be a good bet here. I ordered the French and my Wife the Swiss. We also ordered some sparkling water. That came along with dirty glasses! Honestly, is it really that hard for waiting staff to check that what they are giving the customer is clean?

As predicted the burgers were quick to arrive. They arrived on boards along with fries that had obviously been cooked in old oil and not seasoned and these were accompanied by a small dish of completely bland coleslaw. Now, if you had not told me this was a "French" themed burger, there is no way in hell I would have known it. The burger itself was over cooked and tasteless. There seemed to be a complete lack of seasoning and it was covered in some onions that appeared to have been boiled rather than caramelized. The only good thing to say about it was they toasted the bun! My wife's burger I think took "char-grilled" to a whole new level and I guess putting a bit of Swiss cheese on it must qualify it as a "Swiss Burger"? All in all it was very disappointing. The saving grace here was, it was all half price and in all honesty was no worse than a Burger King which would have cost more. Had we been paying the full price of nearly £20 for both burgers you can be sure...we would not have!

I don't know what it is with these chains. For some reason they seem to think it's ok to go on serving mediocre food and charging silly prices for it, but then that's probably our fault for letting them. My advice, visit the Slug & Lettuce on a Monday and pay half price because then you'll suffer only half the disappointment.

3  Thank pcmaczone
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Had a lot of bad press but Sophie & the manageress are trying & achieving massive improvements here. The food is the same through out the chain. Reasonable & varied menu. Staff really pleasant and very child friendly.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The menu for this pub is good and great value with some good offers. Its pretty slow when its busy and can either be good or bad. The one thing about this place is its dirty, always looks like it needs a good clean !