“Poor service every time”
Review of Slug & Lettuce

Slug & Lettuce
Ranked #65 of 85 Restaurants in Harpenden
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The service is far too slow with incompetent staff. Yesterday we ordered 2 coffees. They took our money and a few minutes later announced they'd run out of milk and had to wait half an hour for someone to nip a few doors down to Sainsburys to get some more - absolutely unacceptable!

4  Thank Cathy N

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just been to the Slug & Lettuce in Harpenden. First time there, we usually go to Costa next door. Should have stuck to Costa. Ok so first up, it's not the cleanest place I have been in. Table we sat at was dirty, chairs were dirty and it all had a bit of a "greasy spoon" feel to it. Waitress was quick to see to us. She was pleasant enough but seemed to have this look of being constantly scared someone was going to shout at her? Going on the quality of food I am not surprised! We had been to the Slug & Lettuce in St Albans a few weeks before and the food we had there was not great and took forever to come out so we figured the burgers would be a good bet here. I ordered the French and my Wife the Swiss. We also ordered some sparkling water. That came along with dirty glasses! Honestly, is it really that hard for waiting staff to check that what they are giving the customer is clean?

As predicted the burgers were quick to arrive. They arrived on boards along with fries that had obviously been cooked in old oil and not seasoned and these were accompanied by a small dish of completely bland coleslaw. Now, if you had not told me this was a "French" themed burger, there is no way in hell I would have known it. The burger itself was over cooked and tasteless. There seemed to be a complete lack of seasoning and it was covered in some onions that appeared to have been boiled rather than caramelized. The only good thing to say about it was they toasted the bun! My wife's burger I think took "char-grilled" to a whole new level and I guess putting a bit of Swiss cheese on it must qualify it as a "Swiss Burger"? All in all it was very disappointing. The saving grace here was, it was all half price and in all honesty was no worse than a Burger King which would have cost more. Had we been paying the full price of nearly £20 for both burgers you can be sure...we would not have!

I don't know what it is with these chains. For some reason they seem to think it's ok to go on serving mediocre food and charging silly prices for it, but then that's probably our fault for letting them. My advice, visit the Slug & Lettuce on a Monday and pay half price because then you'll suffer only half the disappointment.

3  Thank pcmaczone
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Had a lot of bad press but Sophie & the manageress are trying & achieving massive improvements here. The food is the same through out the chain. Reasonable & varied menu. Staff really pleasant and very child friendly.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The menu for this pub is good and great value with some good offers. Its pretty slow when its busy and can either be good or bad. The one thing about this place is its dirty, always looks like it needs a good clean !

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Over the years the Slug has been in Harpenden l have tried so many times to try and find something that l can say ... that was not bad ...but l can't the service ( the staff can't have had any training ) and if they had the trainers are bloody useless .
The time that you wait for a drink if you have table service is terrible even say early doors mid week... its laughable watching the staff try and perform - if there is a manager or supervisor working they must be hiding in there office .

My wife keeps on telling me to give it one more go its bound to get better !!

l will not comment on the quality of food or the temperature or l may have a nervous breakdown !
The last time l went to the Slug was last Wednesday at 7.00pm and l was that upset with the service l did ask to see the manager and was told he was busy its laughable .

Having spent 35 years in the hospitality industry mainly in the London /Herts area l have decided to throw in my cap and say no more.

I hope somebody from the company sees my comments and gets in touch with me l even may be of help ! until that happens " i will not hold my breath ".l will be spending my money elsewhere in Harpenden and not in the Slug and Lettuce.

2  Thank Peter S