“Super impressed with the new Green Man”
Review of The Greenman

The Greenman
Ranked #1 of 2 Fownhope B&B and Inns
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Super impressed with the new Green Man”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We have just returned from a sublime visit to the Green Man. The rooms were stylish and very comfortable, the staff friendly and accommodating and the new decor very tasteful. The main surprise was the quality of the restaurant food, which was exceptional. The previous weekend we had visited a Michelin Starred restaurant in London and it is no exaggeration to say that the meals we ate at the Green Man were far superior in every way!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RamiroPeppers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
hereford
Reviewed March 5, 2011

accommodating for young children, staff pleasant although service wasn't up to scratch. one members of the party's starter was forgotten about and had to wait until the rest had finished theirs. steak was below average for the money and a couple of orders were wrong. Has the potential to be a top class venue but its not quite worth the money just yet. Maybe a little more staff training...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Robbie_D26
GREENMANFOWNHOPE, Owner at The Greenman, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Thankyou for your review of The Greenman all reviews are welcomed good or bad but in order for us to improve on our shortfalls it would be very helpful if you could let us know the time and date you came to us so that we can pinpoint the staff that served you and address the issues,
if you could email this to enquiries@ thegreenman.co along with any other comments you may have it would be much appriciated.
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We have visited twice and both times we have experienced slightly inconsistent food and service which ranges from very rushed to almost non-existent. Both times we have visited we have felt that the front of house lacks organisation. The menu is broad and includes some lovely dishes. The flavours are very good however undercooked vegetables and cold potatoes let the meal down. There is a good atmosphere and the place has been beautifully decorated.

2 Thank SJLTHereford
Oxford
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Beautiful hotel, wonderfully decorated rooms, great food and helpful friendly staff set in a lovely part of the country.

1 Thank JasonB72
england
Reviewed February 26, 2011

My partner and I stayed here with Friends for two nights and had a lovely break.The staff and management were so polite and helpful - nothing was too much trouble.The rooms are bright and fresh and the bathrooms are clean and modern, yes they are minimalist but more than adequate for stays of upto a week with seating areas available in the private rooms of the hotel if the weather is bad and you dont want to sit in the bar.It is a real little gem of a place to stay.
The food was first class, excellent full breakfast with lashings of toast and coffee and real bacon- not fiddly supermarket rashers you can read the paper through!All delivered with speed and efficency.
The lunch and evening meals were fantastic too, lots of choice but the Hereford Beef is by far and away the best. We stayed here with a friend and her family on the occcasion of her birthday and were joined by a crowd of other friends on the second day,everyone commented on how good the food was and we all had a wonderful day.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank winstonandtiggy
St Weonards
Reviewed February 23, 2011

My wife and I have visited the Green Man six times since the New Year with visiting friends and family and have enjoyed great food, wines and service every time we have been there. We had long 4 hour boozy lunches and a quick 45 minute sandwich and always received the same courteous but fun service every time. We only moved into the area 3 months ago and have been searching for really good local cuisine and were delighted when we came across the Green Man. Family owned and run. It shows. These guys love what they do and nothing is too much for them. Don’t take my word for it. Go there, you’ll love it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Andrew J
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Spent the night on Feb 12th as a Valentine's present for my husband as we had our wedding reception there in 1995. The Greenman has always held our affection but sadly it had fallen into disrepair in recent times. Hence I was so delighted to find it had changed hands and was refurbished.

I cannot fault the mangement and staff who go out of their way to make your stay a very pleasurable experience. I love the new sitting/lounge area - very welcoming and cosy which made it a pleasure to remain long after you have eaten.

The food was good, above average for your local pub but not in the same league as a few Herefordshire restaurants which we frequent and charging the same prices made it an expensive pub meal. I noted young couples around us only going for two courses - £6 for an icecream is a lot for most. But all in all I heartily enjoyed my meal.

Our room on first impression was tastefully done - minimalist (the owner is an interior designer I believe) but there is minimalist and there is Spartan. This was Spartan - nowhere bar behind a door to hang your clothes, no dressing table to sit and apply make-up and do your hair!!! Dingy lighting (sorry ,mood enhancing!) and no mirror. My husband could not shave as there was no mirror above the sink and no shaver plug point!!! A mirror was borrowed from the ladies toilet. We were shown another room which had a travelling trunk as a dressing table. We decided to stay in the room we had.

The minimalist effect our designer owner was trying to invoke soon became like a war zone, clothes over every sofa, glass coffee table festooned with all my bits and bobs. When you pay for a room (£80) you have expectations and those expectations are not paying for it to resemble your teenage son's room!!! I do not know what we would have done if we were staying more than one night.

Also there was no coffee/tea making facilities and hence no real chillout by being forced to go down to the bar to pay for a coffee.

Minimalism also extended into the dining area ,maybe I am old fashioned but a well and properly laid table is important ,cafeteria style does not do it for me and I like a proper napkin not a 6 inch square which fullfilled no purpose. The Greenman is centuries old more homage should be paid to that.

Management tells us they are not rated yet, do not expect many stars. The decor maybe tasteful, the food maybe excellent but that goes for nothing when you are promoting yourself as bed and breakfast.

The management I have to say had heard it all before and they do try very hard but the owner should listen and make changes.

I would come again for the food but I am afraid I would not stay over which is a shame as I had mentioned before The Greenman was also special to us. Do not stay over until the rooms are finished!!!

2 Thank galadrielHereford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fownhope
Castle House
#1 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye
Orles Barn Hotel
Orles Barn Hotel
#8 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to The Greenman? Share your experiences!