“Blummin' heck! FREE ROBE!”
Review of The Greenman

The Greenman
Ranked #1 of 2 Fownhope B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 19, 2014

On first look, the hotel looks fantastic, bricks are painted white and they've left some timber exposed for timber enthusiasts. The doors all open too. Staff are great, they've all got heads and arms, and as a bonus the adequate amount of legs and feet. Room was great, I could make a cuppa and had enough space to do a back roll to the pillow end of the bed. Upon having a shower I found the shower like a warm rain in Borneo. Lovely stuff. After that I dried off and spotted not one, But TWO free robes to don and feel special within after such a fantastic shower! Only marking down slightly for a small telly, which made reading the answers on pointless unbearable, and unfortunately the robe was slightly too heavy a gauge of cotton, which caused my shoulders to break. Na only kidding mate. Lovely place.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank bigsmellydog

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed here for our 'baby moon' from 1st March for 2 nights. On arrival we were greeted by the friendly staff who showed us our room. The room and ensuite was spotless and the decor was lovely. Our bed was huge and extremely comfortable, just what we needed! We decided to eat in the restaurant that evening and the menu was outstanding, the tapas tower is one not to miss! The mains were equally scrumptious and unfortunately we didn't have room left for desert! Breakfast was great the next morning. The pub is very well located as it's only a short drive to Symonds Yat and Ross-on-Wye. Overall it's a lovely pub and we'd definitely stay here again if in the area.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous place. Lovely helpful staff. Great accommodation. Lovely food in the restaurant. Can't wait to go again. We had a lovely suite in the court yard beautifully furnished. Only issue. Bathroom was not replenished. We ate in restaurant both evenings and the food was delicious. One of the best fillet steaks I have ever eaten. Hubby loved his dish of liver cooked perfectly. So much he wanted it again the next evening. The bar was lovely. Welcoming log fires and cosy atmosphere. The young team of staff were so friendly and helpful.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Very nice hotel in a very good location. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the food was excellent.

I booked the room through booking.com and on arrival quickly realized we weren't allocated the room I booked at all. I selected the room that is supposed to be 13m squared with a bath , we ended up in a room that wasn't close to that big and didn't have a bath at all . This wasn't a huge issue as we were only there for one night but £80 for the room(12) we had seemed steep to me.
The food was very nice and I can highly recommend the tapas tower to start. The service was fine but on arrival the lack of information given was a small let down. We weren't told anything about breakfast/check out times.Breakfast was good if a little stingey.(One sausage, no beans)
Over all a great stay aside of the wrong room issue, would definitely stay again but insist on knowing which room we were in beforehand.

Room Tip: Just make sure you get the room you are paying for... Our room was near the road but not too loud a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We decided to venture out from Hereford to Fownhope and the Green Man for lunch after hearing some good things about the place. And we weren't disappointed!
The menu was excellent and diverse, the local beers on offer hit the spot and what we chose for our meal was just devine.
Service and atmosphere were also a plus point, we never felt rushed, which is very important.
An excellent experience all round, so we'll be back to walk the hills and build an appetite again!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Went there for valentines meal,, very warm greeting, found a cosy spot by the fire and decided to stay there,, no problem for the staff, the food was simply amazing, perfectly cooked turbot, tingling sauce and well presented, my partner loved her desert

Staff were helpful, attentive, not in your face, food and atmosphere were both brilliant ,, tip top!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Do not bother looking anywhere else for a lovely country pub hotel stay if you are in this neck of the woods. It is only my opinion, and I have stayed in a few places, but this would be hard to beat on all levels.
I found the hotel on booking.com having been recommended it by a friend. I chose to call the hotel direct as I wanted to upgrade to a superior room for a special occasion and this was not an option on any of the usual hotel sites. The call taker was helpful and kind. She offered me a superior room for a little more than the booking site although availability was limited. This was a midweek stay and the hotel was well booked.
On arrival, the receptionist was friendly and really helpful. The booking in system was easy and the ambience of the reception with beautiful floral arrangements and smell of freshly brewed coffee was a sensory triumph. Low beams and country pub style furniture made the welcome very British.
Having been shown personally to our room (4) and my bag carried by our receptionist (I am sorry I cannot remember our name) our room was very pretty and the door was like stepping back in time. We had a courtyard view from leaded windows and a really good light restricting roman blind. We were shown the tea and coffee making and provided with a jug of fresh milk. The room had a contemporary feel with modern takes on old objects such as a chest of drawers like an old portmanteau. No complimentary biscuits....... good for my waistline!
The shower was huge as was the shower head, another sensory triumph! The bathroom was well lit with large fluffy towels and complimentary bathrobes. Individual toiletries from St Kitts Herbery in Cornwall were amazing!! www.stkittsherbery.co.uk
We arrived quite late in the day so we dumped bags, showered and went to the restaurant where we had booked a table for dinner.
The restaurant was old English pub style and not overcrowded or packed in. The menu was individual and offered a really good assortment of locally sourced produce and British and worldwide dishes. There was no fixed price option or specials and we chose from the Al a Carte menu. Starters ranged from £6 to £8 and Mains from £11 to a very competitive £24 for an 8 oz Hereford Filet Steak. You can check out sample menus on the website. http://www.thegreenman.co/index.php/dining
The food was served by two different waiting staff that were attentive and knowledgeable and genuinely enthusiastic about our choices.
The food was wonderful. I cannot comment on the wine choice but the bottle we had was very good indeed.
Our room was quiet and as long as you remember that it is an old pub and beams are low then sleep will be natural rather than from excessive banging of your head coming through the door. (laughter)
The duvet and pillows were so soft; I cannot remember when I was in a nicer bed although as it was two single beds together there was the unnatural dip in the middle. If you do not like this then you should say at the time of booking.
Breakfast was again a culinary delight. Not the usual depressing line up of mini cereals and slightly sweaty cheese slices. All of those things were available but with service rather than self service. Fresh juice, proper cafetiere of coffee and a choice of cooked faire including the usual but locally sourced full English and other things such as smoked fish, choices of eggs, mixed toasts and individual preserves in small kilner jars. The English breakfast included two local Hereford sausages and local bacon as well as black pudding, proper (not boiled) mushrooms and perfectly poached eggs.
With an offer of help to my car with my luggage, I left the hotel feeling like I would have enjoyed another night and to have stayed in the bed for a bit longer.
I had one small issue that I took up with the manager (Philippe) after I left as he was not at work on my departure and this was to just talk about the beds being a bit 'separate' and I have never had such good customer service. It was a small niggle for a special occasion stay and he could not have been more kind, apologetic and helpful for such a minor detail. It appeared and was in fact a small misunderstanding at the time of booking and I came off the phone thinking that there are a few establishments who charge superior room rates who could learn a lot about how to talk to their customers from this gentleman!
So in summary, I cannot say any one even tiny thing about this hotel and its staff that is poor.
Go and stay there if you want Olde English/British style and service. If you do have an issue, tell the staff as they could not do more to be helpful and make the stay a real experience.
Thank you Philippe and all your team.

Room Tip: Ask for a double bed if you are a couple and you want to be close. All the rooms seem to be lovely b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fownhope
The Pilgrim Hotel
#7 of 11 in Hereford
The King's Head Hotel
The King's Head Hotel
#3 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to The Greenman? Share your experiences!