“The perfect countryside getaway”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Watford, United Kingdom
“The perfect countryside getaway”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed at the Grove for business and was absolutely delighted with everything. The food at the restuarants and through room service was incredible. The service at all levels was spectacular. I was greeted with a smile from all members of staff and made to feel like a valued visitor.

Do yourself a favor and take time out of your hectic schedule to walk around the well manicured grounds, visit the walled garden and take a gondola ride. Experience all that this hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room between 240 and 260. This property is deceptively large and any rooms past 260 are a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear John P,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Grove for your recent business trip, and for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you were able to enjoy our grounds during your stay and hope we may welcome you again soon.

Jonathan Critchard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at the Grove on a Sunday night as an escape from London, and were thoroughly impressed by the whole experience.

Having stayed previously and eaten at the Stables restaurant, this time we decided to try the Glasshouse, which had a buffet setup, and were not disappointed. Both the choice and quality of food was excellent, but the staff too were very friendly, knowledgable and engaging without being overbearing.

After dinner, we made our way into the lounge area, which I think is among the Grove's best assets. We were very surprised it was not busier, and were able to make ourselves at home on a comfy sofa in a really relaxing atmosphere, with staff again always on hand and attentive but remaining in the background.

On the Monday morning we visited the spa area and relaxed by the pool, which was very pleasant, and followed that with afternoon tea in the lounge - again it was just the perfect way to unwind. Next time I have promised myself a round of golf.

The Grove isn't cheap, but my girlfriend and I believe it is worth every penny. It's a very special place and I can't way to return.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Andy J,
Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at The Grove. I am delighted you were able to enjoy the Glasshouse on this visit, and felt at home in our Mansion Lounges. I hope we will see you again soon and perhaps next time you'll have time for a round on our championship course.

Hatfield - Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have eaten at the Grove’s Glasshouse restaurant a few times and every time without fail it’s been excellent. As always a great range of food, scrumptious deserts, attentive - but not overly attentive staff and all set on the backdrop of a charming country estate. When we need an excuse to celebrate again we will of course be back again to the Glasshouse.

So why so ‘Super’ on this particular visit? Well turns out celbs also choose the Grove; we met Henry Cavill (current Superman) sitting on the opposite table. Made my girlfriend’s evening!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Londondesign,
Thank you for your review and for choosing to dine at The Glasshouse. I am so delighted you had a 'Super' night and look forward to your Return!

Stamford
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was an attendee at a corporate golf function at The Grove this week and wanted to report on the experience. Can't say anything about the accommodation as didn't stay the night.

We were told to arrive at the golf drop-off area, which was pretty clearly signposted. On arrival a friendly staff member took the clubs out of my boot, asked for my name, gave me a ticket and said they'd park the car. Was directed into the clubhouse where there were individually named lockers (with fresh towels ready for later) where I left my stuff and then went for a very nice bacon sandwich and a cup of tea. After that I decided to have a few practice swings and found my clubs had already been loaded onto a buggy with our names on it. Grabbed a few clubs and walked 2 minutes to the practice area where neat piles of balls and tees awaited. It was SO NICE to hit practice balls off grass rather than mats. Walked back to the main building and we set off for our round bang on time. Half way round we had another sandwich, again served by a very friendly staff member. Getting towards the end of the round I realised I didn't have my (new) 7 iron with me so asked the organiser guy at the end if anyone had handed it in. He called one guy on his walkie talkie to go take a look around the course whilst another cleaned my clubs and took them back to the car. We all went off for a beer and then there was a short awards ceremony and a pretty quick dinner which suited everybody as it wasn't an overnight stay thing. Half-way through dinner the head guy popped around and told me the 7 iron had been found and, of course, put back into my boot. I haven't checked but my guess is that it was cleaned too!

Overall, and even apart from the lost club thing, the whole day really was a very very good customer service experience and I much preferred it to corporate golf days at members clubs.

As for the golf itself, I thought the course was very good - excellent greens, nice countryside etc.

As for my game on the day, that's a different story (and a long one...).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear onewharf,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of a corporate golf day at The Grove. Your account of the day sums up perfectly all the little things we aim to deliver which make a big impression on our guests. Of course we don't encourage golfers to leave their clubs out on the course, but when it happens, the team are on hand to assist and I am delighted you weren't parted from your new 7-iron for too long! I hope we will see you again soon and if you need a few lessons, we have a team of Pros that would be delighted to help.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night to celebrate my birthday. The hotel, grounds and service are all top notch and well above expectations. Would recommend taking a bike (free) and cycling along the canal. The gold course looks superb but sadly did not get a chance to play it. The outdoor pool and beach are are a very well done and a novel idea. My only complaints would be: £25 per person for a BBQ is a bit steep; room service breakfast is severely overpriced and not clear in terms of pricing structure; rooms are nothing special but the rest of the Hotel and grounds make up for this. Head chef at the Glasshouse buffet is a legend!

• Stayed August 2013
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear James D,
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us at The Grove and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased you were able to take in our beautiful grounds and enjoy time along our bike trails. I look forward to welcoming you again soon - perhaps with the golf clubs?!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Spent a week at this Hotel with my wife and kids. Very nice Hotel. Whoever did the decorating did a phenomenal job. It's a mix of old world british pomp with very modern furnishings spinkeled thru out. Very chic. We booked 2 rooms. Our room had a view of grounds, which was spectacular. The kids down the hall got the parking lot, which was fine by them. The grounds are truly remarkable, even by English garden standards. The food is also very good from breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. On property fine dining at the french restaurant was great but so was the food at the more casual golf club. Youu can also order lunch or dinner from any of the little parlors located throught the Hotel. The real beauty for us was the location. The train station is 5 minutes by cab. From the station we ttok the train every day into London. We took in all the sights and at the end of the day took the train back to our country estate. Train ride is 20 minutes, but make sure to catch an express train. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Dine in one of the parlors. The food is excellent and the ambiance/furnishings are impossible to be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tiso99,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Grove and for taking the time to post your positive review. The variety of interior designs are a real feature of The Grove and I am pleased you enjoyed this as well as our glorious exteriors. I look forward to welcoming you and your family again very soon.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

No, sadly we didn't see any international sports stars or world leaders, but nonetheless we had an excellent afternoon sipping teas and scoffing cakes.
The staff were attentive without being pests and the food was tasty and plentiful.
What more could one ask for on a Sunday afternoon with friends and family?
(the price was pretty good too!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear andyclo,
Thank you for your review and for choosing to enjoy afternoon tea in our Mansion Lounges. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to The Grove very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!