“I won't be going back”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been to the Grove a number of times over the years and have been really impressed. The last couple of times I've found the service very poor and the overall decor a little tired. The hotel is full of families with children running around all over the place, parts of the hotel were so busy with folks coming in for lunch or afternoon tea that residents were not allowed to sit down and have something to eat. The spa is fabulous but that's not enough to justify the prices and the rest of the poor service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank wendyclar
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear wendyclar,
Thank you for your review. As a regular guest, your comments regarding a decreasing level of service do concern me and I will be addressing your comments with the team. I hope that the positive experiences you have had at The Grove are your lasting memory and encourage you to return in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Grove Hotel

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We took our nine month son and had a great time. Excellent facilities for children and adults alike. We took full advantage of the babysitting service and had two very enjoyable evenings in the bars and restaurants on offer. It is expensive and for that money we would expect a more polished finish to the rooms, corridors, etc - basically minor maintenance. However, even with that we will certainly return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear RJAB77,
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you were able to visit with your young family and enjoy the many facilities we have to offer parents. You deserve a night off! I will pass your comments on to our Housekeeping team regarding consistency of cleanliness and trust we will see you again soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed at the grove again Sunday and Monday this week as lays the hotel was spotless with excellent service in all departments.

We ate in the glasshouse on Sunday night which was once again superb, had trouble booking a table, called twice on Saturday and no one returned my calls, called again in Sunday while travelling to the hotel and after being shuttled around 5 different people eventually ended up being told they were full and there were no tables available!! When I explained I was coming as a guest of the grove to play in the invitational golf day a table became available !, and there were empty table in the Restaurant when we arrived and when we left, NOT impressed with that part of the stay.

Grounds are immaculate and are some of the most impressive you will find, the whole setting is magical.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Andrew P,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I will share the difficulties you have raised regarding booking a table in The Glasshouse with our Reservations and Operations teams. We do advise guests at multiple stages of the booking process and prior to arrival that all reservations for our restaurants, spa and golf should be booked in advance to avoid disappointment. Whilst the restaurant may appear to have had empty tables, these will most likely have been for a later sitting. I am pleased you had an otherwise wonderful stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We received a voucher through work for a nights bed and breakfast at The Grove and decided to use it as a short relaxing get-away before our wedding in two weeks time. This kind of hotel would normally be way out of our budget so were very excited about this once in a lifetime opportunity to stay here.

First of all the grounds are lovely, it looks fantastic on the drive up and is really well kept. We were checked in really quickly and shown to our room on the 2nd floor overlooking the car park towards the walled garden. Admittedly the view wasn't great but the room seemed really comfortable and the bathroom was lovely with a fantastic bath which my fiance loved. We both had a salad from room service for lunch which was really well done and was brought up to us very quickly.

I'd booked us both a full body massage as a gift for my fiance at the spa, after filling out our forms we were directed to our separate rooms to have our treatments which were both fantastic and very relaxing and I'd definitely recommend a visit.

We'd booked dinner in The Stables restaurant as we were after something quite casual and when we arrived there was a good atmosphere and we were seated very quickly to a nice table in the corner. The food was great but they seemed to be quite understaffed with waiters as the service was slightly lacking. It was only little things really like having butter on the table but not being offered any bread until we asked for some, a waiter tried to take plates away whilst we were clearly still eating our mains leaving us feeling a little rushed and our desserts arrived without any cutlery. Also there was seemingly only one gents and one ladies toilet, of which the gents didn't flush and somebody came out of the female toilet complaining to the staff of a "situation" in there which somebody needed to attend to immediately. Like I say they were only little things but when you're paying these sort of prices I think you're entitled to expect things to flow much smoother and not to be so rushed.

Unfortunately that night I think the air conditioning in our room was broken. The room was absolutely boiling and turning the temperature dial to cold and the fan to max had absolutely no effect on the room after leaving it for an hour. We found it really difficult to get to sleep so I ended up opening the window, unfortunately people from the party downstairs were using the area of the car park under our window as a smoking area and were very loud. I rang reception and they were apologetic and offered to send an engineer up to try sort it out but as it was nearly 1am I just asked for a fan. The fan helped a little but we both had a very poor nights sleep.

The buffet breakfast in the Glasshouse was lovely, the staff were friendly and there was so much choice.

We mentioned the problems with the room on checking out, the man behind reception was very apologetic and had the manager come out to apologise to us also. He offered to upgrade our room for us the next time we came to visit but I would have thought that taking a couple of drinks off of our unsettled bill might have been a better way of apologising.

We were able to fit in a 4 mile cycle ride around the grounds before we left which i'd definitely recommend doing.

Overall we enjoyed the facilities, the spa and the food but unfortunately it was the attention to detail and the problems with the room that made it not as special as we'd hoped it would be and left us leaving feeling a little disappointed.
If you're planning on visiting i'd definitely ask for one of the rooms facing the gardens rather than the car park and just to check things in the room before you get comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden/golf course view room away from the conference facilities.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Nicholas R,
Thank you for your considered and comprehensive review of The Grove. I am pleased to read you had a relaxing time in Sequoia, our spa, dined well in The Stables and The Glasshouse and enjoyed our wider leisure facilities during your stay. I will be looking further into your comments regarding your bedroom maintenance and apologise that this led to an uncomfortable evening for you. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Grove soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I've had the pleasure of working here several times on various projects. But this time I had the opportunity to stay here too.

The grounds are immaculately kept. The formal gardens were a paradise in the spring sunshine.

The room was modern in style and very clean. It makes a change to be able to open the windows too. I've never been a fan of air conditioning and always prefer to have the windows open, to get clean fresh air in the room.

Big comfortable bed ensured I had a good night's sleep. The bathroom was spacious and the power shower was fantastic, the type that almost draws blood (just kidding).

And then there's the food in the Glasshouse Restaurant - there aren't enough superlatives to describe the food...

All I can say is - if you can afford it - do it!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Richard D,
Thank you for your review of The Grove. I will be glad to share your comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was expecting more. The hotel, on the long drive up to it, looked like a budget council building. It looked nicer at the reception where the car was valet parked for you. We wanted to go to the room straight away but the room was not ready and we had to wait an hour. We were offered free champagne and a later checkout as an apology.

Our biggest disappointment was the decor of the room. The fabric of the carpet, throw, and furniture looked coarse, and designed for easy maintenance. It felt like centerparc or premier inn.

Our room was a Deluxe Room in the West wing. It costs £390 a night. We asked for the most romatic one. It did not feel romantic at all. The view from the patio was a grey concrete wall the height of my girlfriends shoulders. Which gave a prison cell feel. The view from the wall was fantastic. The hotel building on this side looked like the one in the brochure, it was very nice.

The decoration in the communal areas was really impressive. We enquired about getting a more expensive room in the main building. We looked at the ones priced £735 but they were nothing special for the price. You could get a nicer room in Mayfair for half the price. We decided to save the money of not upgrading on having another night away, in Mayfair

The breakfast was good but not exceptional. There was a wide choice and you could eat as much as you like.

I did not know what to expect from the walled garden. I was a little disappointed but it was nice to have.

If you are going here for business trip or with kids, this is a great hotel. The staff are great. The grounds are nice and the food is good.

If you are going for a romantic break and want to spend most of your time in the room I could not recommend this hotel. The more expensive rooms are ok but you can find much better for much cheaper.

Another big gripe was the tv. It was painfully slow to change and search channels. Also there
were movies on demand but the selection was limited and there is no excuse for this.

The room was practical and the bed was comfortable.

There was great weather and we had a nice time. However, we would not return or recommend this hotel.

We filled in the feedback form but had no follow up call.

Rooms I like.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deric B
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Deric B,
I am saddened to read your review of The Grove. Your review is taken seriously and you will receive feedback on your Guest Survey shortly. Further to your comments we have taken steps to introduce a simple remote control guide to aid our guests television viewing. Our newly installed 42" HD flat screen televisions and onDemand movies offer in the region of 90 movies, I am sorry you felt this was a limited selection. Thank you for your kind words regarding the team and food offering in The Glasshouse and I hope we may see you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I have been coming here approximately once a year for the past 6 years. Our experience has always been good. Whilst the Grove is a big, luxurious 5 star hotel with world class facilities, it maintains a relaxed, informal and very welcoming feel which many hotels in its class do not. Consistent highlights for us have been breakfast and dinner in the Glasshouse (the only buffet that comes close is the Bellagio in Las Vegas!), relaxing in the beautiful lounge area and, of course, the spa.

The service throughout our stay last weekend made this the best visit yet. The staff here have always been good, but occasionally a little inconsistent. This time, every one, without exception was excellent and we were extremely well looked after. It felt to us as if the Grove has further raised it's game!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tim U

Dear Tim U,
Thank you for your continued loyalty to The Grove. Your comments are valued and appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!