“Distinctly average…”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night not so long ago and were not at all impressed…
When we arrived around lunchtime, we drove into the large car park, only to find it was completely packed. There were no spaces whatsoever. After driving around for 10 minutes or so I dropped my wife off at the front of the hotel and then had to park all the way over the other side of the car park, near the putting green. A cold and wet five minute walk back to the hotel lobby ensued.
The hotel lobby was packed full of people and screaming children. A lovely welcome to the tranquil spa hotel…
We checked in and made our way to our room. As we walked down the hotel corridors, it was hard not to notice the paint peeling off the skirting boards. The corridors felt very clinical and reminded me of the last time I was in hospital. As for the “Modern Art” dotted around the hotel (partly in the form of plastic figures inside perspex side tables), I can only assume the person responsible for style at this hotel had been given a lobotomy at some point.
The spa was quite a way away from our room and my wife and I didn't really feel comfortable walking through the whole hotel in our dressing gowns. We ended up going over to the spa to have a look and the girl behind the counter told us it was fully booked.

One plus point was Colette’s restaurant. We ate there that evening and the food and service was outstanding. We couldn't fault it at all.

That’s where the praise ends I'm afraid…
When we arrived the next morning for breakfast, we were presented with a large room with very bright, clinical lighting. It really did look like a hospital canteen. As for our fellow diners, well most of them looked like they were about to appear on the Jeremy Kyle show.
This hotel had not an ounce of class or style and seemed only attractive to the ‘new money’ clientele.
It doesn't matter how many Ferrari’s there are in the car park or Louis Vuitton handbags on the shoulder. This place proves you just can’t buy class.

5  Thank gollyolllie
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear gollyollie,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you were not aware our concierge team offer valet parking (complimentary) as I have no doubt that this would have made your arrival less stressful.

There are newer reviews for The Grove Hotel

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was very impressed with The Grove mainly for it's versality. It was our first hotel break with a baby and the hotel seems an excellent option with our without little ones. The added bonus for me was the Golf Course which was in great condition. We went in Autumn which was lovely and I can imagine the Summer being pretty good too with the outdoor pool, beach and gardens. The food was good, we mainly stuck to room service and The Stables and the Spa was also excellent. I loved the grand entrance and the original country house is beautiful. Great property which provides lots of options depending on what you require. If we return I'd like to go for a jog around the estate and can imagine there are some nice walks down the canal. All in all I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I think we stayed in the West Wing which is the family section of the hotel. Room was huge, plenty o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear J0el_K,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove and I look forward to welcoming you back in the summer!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have eaten in the Glasshouse several times and always enjoyed myself at The Grove. I was therefore looking forward to being able to spend the night at the hotel courtesy of my Company who had booked a 2 day Conference there. The 2 days were really enjoyable and nearly everything lived up to my expectations - the staff were brilliant, service was faultless and breakfast and lunch in the Glasshouse were as good as my previous dinner experiences. So why "nearly" - well I had agreed to share a room with a work colleague to save on costs and as the majority of delegates had opted for single occupancy I sort of expected a really good room. What we were given was a basic room with the 2 beds made up separately but adjacent to one another. As the "headboard" was in effect a recess in the room we could not move the beds apart without them being away from the back wall - so the pillows would have fallen off. Now if I had been paying I might have complained but with c 150 guests I knew the hotel was very full. It just disappointed me that a 5 star hotel does not have any real twin rooms with either 2 double beds or at least 2 separated beds. It did not detract from my enjoyment though and the swimming pool (and gym according to my colleague) are excellent. I look forward to my next evening in the Glasshouse and at least I know what the rooms are now.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a park view - rather than car park.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear MWHemelHempstead,
As a regular diner in The Glasshouse, I would like to thank you for your continued loyalty to The Grove. We aim to make all of our guests as comfortable as possible throughout their stay and hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Another amazing weekend at The Grove...but this time in the luxury of a suite in the Mansion House! What a fabulous room.... really different from staying in the rest of the hotel...very decadent and indulgent with a large four poster bed, sweeping views over the estate, a large walk in shower and a claw-foot bathtub!
Combined with a relaxing afternoon in the spa and very low key drinks and dinner in the Stables, it was about as perfect as a romantic weekend away from London could be!

Room Tip: For a special occasion, as to book a mansion room..they're gorgeous, fun and quirky in design.

Dear londonhotelchick,
Thank you for your review of The Grove. I am delighted we were able to welcome you again and hope we will see you in the near future.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I love this hotel and spa, my boyfriend and I come here a lot, it is our favourite hotel and spa by a long way.
Dinner at the glasshouse is buffet style, but don't be out off, it's the best quality buffet you can imagine, perfect for everyone. Incredible deserts, amazing mains, beautiful salads. Al round delicious joy!
The spa is wonderful, relaxing and perfect! Treatments are great, it's welcoming and friendly. It is a lovely place to come!
The rooms are beautiful, I have stayed in a few, one in the original manor house, which was stunning and the superior rooms, both lovely, clean, well decorated, stylish, the roll top baths are a joy!
The toiletries are by the white company too.
It's just a lovely place to stay, I always come away relaxed ad happy!

Room Tip: Perfect for a London couple escaping the city for a relation and mini break. Adore this hotel and sp...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Kirsty M,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I am so pleased you continue to return to The Grove and take advantage of all we have to offer. I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

From the moment we arrived until our departure, the service at The Grove was exemplary. This hotel is extremely well staffed who were all extremely helpful and attentive. We stayed in a very comfortable room in the West Wing which was reasonably close to the Sequoia Spa - where we enjoyed a very relaxing time dipping in and out of the pool, vitality pool and sauna.

The food in the Glasshouse was a fun experience - we chose from the Asian Station where our food was cooked in front of us and added a nice touch. The waitresses were again, helpful and extremely friendly.

Although the hotel was quite busy, you never felt that it was as there was always someone there to attend to you.

We had wonderful cocktails in the Lounge before venturing to The Stables restaurant on the Saturday evening for a delicious meal which was more informal and relaxed, with a good 'specials' selection.

Although none of us were golfers, we enjoyed the opportunity of borrowing bikes and cycling through woodland and along the scenic canal to feed the ducks and swans.

Breakfast in the Glasshouse was another good eating experience - a great choice and another rather large meal therefore!

Our only disappointment was not booking a cream tea, which was fully booked, so worth knowing to book this in advance (probably for the best!)

We would thoroughly recommend this wonderful hotel and we look forward to returning in the Summer to experience the outside facilities and pool - a true five star experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Paul M,
Thank you for your review of The Grove. The Asian station in The Glasshouse is a very popular part of the restaurant's offering and I'm delighted to read you enjoyed it. I hope we'll see you again soon for Afternoon Tea in our mansion lounges or a Golf lesson with one of our PGA instructors.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I recently visited the Sequoia Spa for an Afternoon Treat with my mother and my aunt, both quite elderly. We ran into a problem as soon as we arrived: we had to negotiate a flight of steep stone steps down into the spa entrance. I immediately went off in search of help. Teresa from Reception came quickly to our aid... and continued to look after the three of us throughout our afternoon stay. She quietly and intelligently called for help and within a few minutes we were settled comfortably for an afternoon of pampering and care. Teresa deserves a medal for her kindness and skill, and we are very grateful to her.

We all had 'age defying' facials. Mine was administered by Natasha and it was truly lovely. Natasha was a mixture of extreme professionalism coupled with a warm and friendly manner. I would strongly recommend her to anyone looking for a relaxing, nurturing 100 minutes.

Our facials were followed by an amazingly delicious afternoon tea which we just couldn't finish. We reluctantly made our way home afterwards but with the consolation prize of our uneaten cakes and scones in a beautiful cardboard box. We were escorted right to our car by the lovely Teresa and Liz, the very able Spa Manager.
We had a lovely afternoon, due entirely to the charm and highly professional and kind manner of everyone we met throughout our visit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear LondonKatieB,
Thank you for your kind review of The Grove and experience in Sequoia, our spa. I will share your comments with the spa team and hope we will see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!