“Best Spa ..”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My friend and I had an evening spa experiance at the Grove recently and it was one of the most relaxing experiances we have had. The food was lovely and service was lovely and the staff very friendly and helpful. The spa was not crowed which was wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Kirsten d,
Thank you for your review of The Grove and spa experience in Sequoia. I will share your kind words with our team and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Grove Hotel

Reviewed February 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to The Grove before Christmas for a spa weekend. Our room was beautiful with a roll top bath, huge bed and a lovely balcony with views of the gardens, The service, grounds and food were fantastic, but I was a little disappointed with the spa. There are separate areas for men and women which meant we couldn't enjoy all the spa facilities together. I have been to a number of spa's in the UK and never had this problem before. If they had warned me of this I would of perhaps re-considered having a couples spa break there.That said I had a fantastic massage and a thoroughly relaxing break.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wandering_in_heels

Dear Rjarcher88,
Thank you for your recent review of The Grove. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed a relaxing spa break with us and hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The grounds and golf course are spectacular, but the hotel management could not have been more frugal when a problem arose.

Spent New Year's Eve at the hotel with my fiance and very much enjoyed going for long walks and relaxing from city life. We saw some New Year’s Eve thing they were having here and we thought it would be a nice little escape.

However, our stay turned out to be a nightmare when we had dinner at their Green House restaurant the 1st night. While we admittedly had a late dinner reservation, the place may as well have been a children’s playground with 1000s of kid’s running around. While this didn’t bother us at all, the “buffet” style restaurant has very little safeguards against keeping the food somewhat protected. The sashimi/salmon station on arrival looked as if it was sitting there unattended for hours, the salad/pasta stations are completely exposed, and worst of all – the dessert stations are in a highly trafficked area, and you guessed it – fully exposed.

Thus, it was no surprise that we both were struck with food poisoning bugs 3 or 4 hours later, which carried of course into the next day. When we realized we just weren’t going to be in a New Year’s Eve festive mood, we decided to leave the hotel.

When speaking to the hotel a few days later, I thought it would only be fair that they would maybe not charge us for the night we didn’t stay – never mind the New Year’s Eve dinner we didn’t attend. I thought that would have been the decent thing to do, but of course they thought I was crazy. In addition, I had reserved a bottle of wine for New Year’s Eve that they charged me for. When I explained to them that I left the hotel and of course didn’t drink this bottle, they almost still wanted to charge me! Finally, they did reimburse me for this, but described it as “a gesture of good will.”

All things considered - beautiful grounds, very nice golf course, mediocre SPA, decent rooms, nice casual restaurant at the golf course, but awful Green House buffet style restaurant and most disappointingly a penny pinching mentality.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rextacy3
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Rextacy3,
I am sorry to read your review. I do wish you had made the team aware of your concerns during your visit as we may have had a chance to address the situation. However, we were not informed of any of your comments until a few days after you had checked out. With regard to food poisoning, we take all alleged incidents very seriously and comply fully with governing regulations. Although we were unable to fully investigate your circumstances, due to the time period of notice, we did not receive any other food complaints during this period.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Me and my friend decided to meet here for our annual Spa treat. It was her birthday and we enjoyed our one night stay very much. We've been to Spa resorts and Hotel with Spa destinations and this is the latter. If you want to have a really good Spa experience go to one of the dedicated Spa resorts like Hoar Cross Hall or Ragdale. The hotel is very nice in a corporate way and looks very exclusive-but we both felt that although the staff were pleasant, there were small but significant things missing that you would expect from much lesser hotels than this. For example: on arrival we said we had booked for the Spa overnighter but the receptionist offered no introduction to the hotel or Spa - we had to ask for a guide and also it looked like you had to go outside to the spa but on enquiry we were told it was connected to the rooms and how to get there..I would have expected to be told this on arrival. We arrived at 1:30 and so our room was not ready. We said we'd get some lunch- bowl of soup £9.60 and glass of wine (175ml) £9 very nice and I expected London prices but ...ouch..The receptionist said she would ring my mobile when room was ready but at 2:40 we'd finished lunch and no call so went back to reception and she said she was 'just about to call'. In the restaurant for breakfast we were shown to a table for 3 people, but the 3rd place setting was not removed until we were well into our breakfast.. these are small things that I feel I am picking about but at this quality of hotel it should be done as a matter of course. The Spa was ok but as it is a hotel spa the sauna, steam room etc are tiny. The treatment that I had was lovely and the relaxation room is very special- but it was not good value overall compared to stays we have had at Hoar Cross, Ragdale etc The one night stay included Spa use, a 50 minute facial, dinner and breakfast- in addition we had a bottle of wine with dinner, lunch (soup and a glass of wine) and one drink and a coffee after dinner. It cost us £308 each.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jen B

Dear Jen B,
Thank you for your review of your recent spa break at The Grove. I will follow up your comments regarding your arrival with our reception team and endeavour to improve upon this. I do hope during your visit to Sequoia, you were able to enjoy the vitality pool and heat experiences as well.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had a fab birthday celebration meal here and recommend it even to people staying in London as a country house treat excursion! The restaurant has two sections , a downstairs - right in front of floor to ceiling windows with great views but on a sunny day, right in the sun too and upstairs, with more comfortable seating by the buffet. TIP - decide which you would like and state this at time of booking. The great restaurant Manager accommodated our party of 9 upstairs after we had been allocated downstairs but it was tricky.
Staff were extremely attentive and friendly and brought an extra cushion for one of our party. Food was excellent and it was hard to be self disciplined. Sushi, noodle dishes made to order, roasts, amazing desserts and the kids were overjoyed to find a chocolate fountain and a guy making lollies. Lovely to walk around the grounds after lunch. Worked out with wine at £70 per head with tip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear HaskelUK,
Thank you for your review of The Grove and experience of The Glasshouse. I hope you will be back soon to try one of our other restaurants (The Stables or Colette's) although The Glasshouse is always worth a return visit!

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Location, quality and service can't be faulted. The public areas are exceptional the superior bedroom whilst spacious had virtually no hanging space for clothes, approx 1 meter and no draw space. Where does one put their clothes? On the floor in the suit case is the only option. What happens if you stay for a week?

Breakfast was a disappointment. There was a good selection of cold and hot but the hot appeared as though it was all cooked the night before and left under a hot lamp. The bacon, sausages, black pudding etc all dry, flavourless and overcooked. Save the £50+ (2 persons) and go to a little chef for a far better meal served to you instead of fighting at the buffet at the Grove!

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Hetravels,
Thank you for your overall positive review of The Grove. I am sorry to hear you found your room too small for your requirements. Without knowing the specific room it is difficult to comment, although our West Wing Deluxe rooms offer more space that may have been better suited for your needs. I will pass on your comments regarding The Glasshouse breakfast to our Executive Chef. The food is freshly prepared and the team of chefs are happy to assist with any individual requirements during service.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was my second stay at The Grove in 2012 and, again, it was perfecct. As before, I had 'special needs' - the first time was my elderly mother, this time it was my 2 year old daughter. As you would expect from a 5* establishment, we were greeted by friendly, attentive staff. The car was parked for us and our baggage taken directly to our room. Our room was ready early, which was a bonus, and a cot was in place. I booked my daughter into Anoushka's creche so that I could enjoy the spa and my partner could have some uninterrupted reading time. The creche is located by the walled garden, a pleasant 5-10 minute stroll away or, as we experienced, a couple of minutes in a large golf buggy, which my daughter thoroughly enjoyed! Anoushka's staff were friendly and helpful and the creche itself spacious and colourful with lots of activities. It also has its own large childrens' swimming pool. My daughter was well looked after and was happy when I collected her. We had dinner in The Glasshouse which, as I've said before, has the most glorious buffet with foods from around the world. Our daughter fell asleep just before we were due to take our seats. The staff could not have been more helpful in accommodating her and, by simply pushing two 'tub' dining chairs together, made a comfy 'crib' thus ensuring a quiet dinner for us (and everyone else!). I have stayed at this hotel with a girlfriend, for a spa treat, my elderly mother for a get away and with my partner and daughter, as a family treat - on each occasion The Grove and its staff have proved that it is a hotel for all, with that added touch of glamour and sophistication. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the rooms above The Glasshouse - wonderful views across the gardens and golf cou...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Dittongirl,
I am so pleased we were able welcome your family to The Grove this time and you have experienced first-hand how The Grove is an ideal destination for couples, families and groups. Family time together or apart, our team is here to help make feel at home from the moment you arrive. I hope we will see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!