“Delicious food, beautiful location, excellent service”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had a fab birthday celebration meal here and recommend it even to people staying in London as a country house treat excursion! The restaurant has two sections , a downstairs - right in front of floor to ceiling windows with great views but on a sunny day, right in the sun too and upstairs, with more comfortable seating by the buffet. TIP - decide which you would like and state this at time of booking. The great restaurant Manager accommodated our party of 9 upstairs after we had been allocated downstairs but it was tricky.
Staff were extremely attentive and friendly and brought an extra cushion for one of our party. Food was excellent and it was hard to be self disciplined. Sushi, noodle dishes made to order, roasts, amazing desserts and the kids were overjoyed to find a chocolate fountain and a guy making lollies. Lovely to walk around the grounds after lunch. Worked out with wine at £70 per head with tip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear HaskelUK,
Thank you for your review of The Grove and experience of The Glasshouse. I hope you will be back soon to try one of our other restaurants (The Stables or Colette's) although The Glasshouse is always worth a return visit!

There are newer reviews for The Grove Hotel

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Location, quality and service can't be faulted. The public areas are exceptional the superior bedroom whilst spacious had virtually no hanging space for clothes, approx 1 meter and no draw space. Where does one put their clothes? On the floor in the suit case is the only option. What happens if you stay for a week?

Breakfast was a disappointment. There was a good selection of cold and hot but the hot appeared as though it was all cooked the night before and left under a hot lamp. The bacon, sausages, black pudding etc all dry, flavourless and overcooked. Save the £50+ (2 persons) and go to a little chef for a far better meal served to you instead of fighting at the buffet at the Grove!

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Hetravels,
Thank you for your overall positive review of The Grove. I am sorry to hear you found your room too small for your requirements. Without knowing the specific room it is difficult to comment, although our West Wing Deluxe rooms offer more space that may have been better suited for your needs. I will pass on your comments regarding The Glasshouse breakfast to our Executive Chef. The food is freshly prepared and the team of chefs are happy to assist with any individual requirements during service.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was my second stay at The Grove in 2012 and, again, it was perfecct. As before, I had 'special needs' - the first time was my elderly mother, this time it was my 2 year old daughter. As you would expect from a 5* establishment, we were greeted by friendly, attentive staff. The car was parked for us and our baggage taken directly to our room. Our room was ready early, which was a bonus, and a cot was in place. I booked my daughter into Anoushka's creche so that I could enjoy the spa and my partner could have some uninterrupted reading time. The creche is located by the walled garden, a pleasant 5-10 minute stroll away or, as we experienced, a couple of minutes in a large golf buggy, which my daughter thoroughly enjoyed! Anoushka's staff were friendly and helpful and the creche itself spacious and colourful with lots of activities. It also has its own large childrens' swimming pool. My daughter was well looked after and was happy when I collected her. We had dinner in The Glasshouse which, as I've said before, has the most glorious buffet with foods from around the world. Our daughter fell asleep just before we were due to take our seats. The staff could not have been more helpful in accommodating her and, by simply pushing two 'tub' dining chairs together, made a comfy 'crib' thus ensuring a quiet dinner for us (and everyone else!). I have stayed at this hotel with a girlfriend, for a spa treat, my elderly mother for a get away and with my partner and daughter, as a family treat - on each occasion The Grove and its staff have proved that it is a hotel for all, with that added touch of glamour and sophistication. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the rooms above The Glasshouse - wonderful views across the gardens and golf cou...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Dittongirl,
I am so pleased we were able welcome your family to The Grove this time and you have experienced first-hand how The Grove is an ideal destination for couples, families and groups. Family time together or apart, our team is here to help make feel at home from the moment you arrive. I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed in a mansion house room which was really lovely. We had a spacious room (16) with an amazing bathroom with a huge bath and great finishing touches even down to lots of towels and fab products . The interior of the mansion house is very elegant with a blend of old and new. It is very well done . Great little extras and turn down service. We had dinner in the glass house which is great if you like a buffet. I did feel that although the choice was brilliant and quality of the food was very high I found it over priced and noisey in the restaurant . That being said The service was good .
We took advantage of the spa facilities . The pool is nice but not enough places to sit around it , it was very busy and the jacuzzi was a bit small for the amount of people trying to use it.
All public areas are extremely well maintained and the grounds are beautiful with quirky,charming things dotted around . Really worth a visit . Highly recommended for a grown up, relaxing treat .
I would definitely go back .

Room Tip: Go for a room in the mansion house. It's worth the extra money .
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne S

Dear Joanne S,
Thank you for your review of your night in The Grove's 18th Century mansion. All of the rooms have individual character and charm, with traditional to contemporary touches and I am delighted you were able to experience this and our spa, Sequoia. I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Glasshouse is a lovely buffet and there are some lovely dishes. The seafood corner is very good and the lamb carvery was delicious! The room had a lovely view and a roll-top bath. The rest of the decor the hotel is strange and kitsch. The good thing is you can walk to the spa through the hotel. It is lacking in a hydrotherapy pool and a joint relaxation area. However the individual relaxation area is very good and I would recommend to have a massage - bliss!

The service was a bit lacking as we needed to keep following up about things and had to start explanations from scratch every time.

Lastly, CHECK YOUR BILL AT CHECKOUT! They added something extra that we did not have.

Room Tip: Close to reception if you want to be close to dinner. Games room is close to spa, so might be noisy...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Karien E,
Thank you for posting your review of The Grove. I am pleased you enjoyed The Glasshouse and had a relaxing time in Sequoia, our spa. I will follow up on your comments and hope we will be able to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great location (proximity to London & country setting).

Great decor - even after the 8 years since my very first visit - it still looks great.

Great staff - professional, friendly.

Great food.

And GREAT SPA!!!

I wish I could live in one of the rooms in the old house forever and spend my days in the Spa!

Even the standard rooms in the new block are worth the corridor walking!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear ZoeLdn,
Thank you for your kind review. We would love to welcome you every day, and hope we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I booked The Grove on New Years Eve for a black tie dinner dance. The venue itself is well presented and staff in the main hotel and restaurant were all polite and attentive even though it was absolutely packed and you could hardly move. The hotel is huge and its quite a long walk to get to some of the rooms. The room we had was huge but it felt like a big empty space with nothing in it apart from a bed and a massive TV. Very impersonal and lacking character. The NYE dinner was a let down as hardly anyone was dressed up (it stated black tie on the tickets) and was over run with children under 12 (apparently they went for free) running around in tracksuits. Not really what you expect when paying that amount of money. The menu showed 2 options for each course but when the time to eat came, one choice was brought around for everyone. We had 2 people on our table who were vegetarian and where told there wasn't another option. The food we had was very god though.

The band was very good and the fireworks were very good but overall I was very disappointed and personally I felt a bit ripped off as there were places offering the same for a lot less and they seem to have delivered what was offered. I would go back there to eat but definitely would stay there again and certainly wouldn't go back there for NYE.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrtn44

Dear mrtn44,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you were left disappointed by your new year's eve experience. If I may address a couple of points raised, children were welcome as part of our evening celebrations and were charged for entry (not free as stated). We also had a separate children's play area to help entertain our younger guests. We did encourage a formal dress code for the evening however some guests did not adhere to this. I am pleased you enjoyed the entertainment and fireworks and hope we will see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!