“New years eve bash”

The Grove Hotel
Bedford, United Kingdom
“New years eve bash”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Not what we expected for a Gala dinner at a 5 star hotel . We dressed up in black tie only to walk in and see jeans , open neck shirts , no jackets . Lots of children running round One course out of the 3 was edible ...everyone left the starter , main course fine , dessert everyone gave up on .
5 of us in our party ended up sharing table with 6 others ...not a problem as all nice people but what if had been a family with 4 kids .
No mention of table sharing when we booked or that children would be there. Not a problem if you know and can then decide what to do .
Not up to standard for the money and too many surprises. Entertainment was good i have to say .

Room Tip: Its a long walk to some rooms so dont forget anything in the room before you go out like i did!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank crag789
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear crag789,
Thank you for your review. I am surprised to hear that you were not aware of your party being on a shared table as our Reservations Team would notify any smaller groups of this policy. With regard to the dress code, we made the decision to encourage suitable attire without stating a strict code. This was based on feedback from previous years. Children were welcome at our New Year’s Eve celebrations and this was publicised at all times. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our New Year’s Eve entertainment and hope we will see you back at The Grove soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

As a Grove guest for 7+ years, I think I am in a good position to spot where things are going wrong. Given that my comments received very little interest when I tried to make them at Check-Out, here they are for the benefit of the whole TripAdvisor community:

- First and foremost, the Grove is a great hotel with lots of nice staff, some of whom have been there for a very long time - including the Scouse Porter. Nice bloke !

- However, for the second stay running, we walked out the Stables Restaurant . Not good service (apart from Bartek, the very nice maitre-d) , and the food was below average to poor - topped off with yesterday's bread. Avoid .

- The Room Service food, which we resorted to after the Stables and ate in the lounge areas, was not fresh. The meat tasted cheap and processed; it was clearly re-heated, hotplated and served up. Obviously there is something wrong going on with Food & Beverage.

- The Spa: it was £75 for a 40 minute treatment. I booked for 3pm . The woman picked me up at 3:03pm. She talked to me for 5-7 minutes. She walked out the room at 340pm on the dot. She "treated" me for approx. 30 mins , 10 mins less than the paid-for time. I'm afraid this is symptomatic of the Grove - a real reflection of what its become. I complained, they offered me £10 off. In fact, 10 minutes of 40 minutes is 1/4 of the time. In the end, I had to argue, but they offered me the full 1/4 discount - £19.

- The beds are no longer comfortable. There comes a time when a hotel needs to replace their beds.

- No-one asked me about our Stables experience. The Grove does not give you the impression that they care whether you enjoyed your stay or not.

- They charge you a £10 call out fee for the babysitter - but the babysitter works in the hotel's creche !

In conclusion, I would suggest that the Grove is going into the fairly typical cycle for resort-hotels - 7/8 years after launch, very successful, but things are getting tired, costs are being cut (the food, for example, scrimping on your suppliers), staff are less trained, etc.

So , beware TripAdvisors.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Justin74London
Dear Justin74London,
I would like to assure you all guest feedback is taken seriously and used to improve our guest experience. A large percentage of our guests are repeat visitors and return to The Grove because of the quality of service and facilities we have to offer. Given your repeat negative review of The Grove, I would like to invite you for a meeting or telephone conversation with our Resident Manager to discuss your concerns further. Please call 01923 807807 to schedule a convenient time.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

First of all - the Grove is huge. Driving down the sweeping carriageway from the main road you first pass over the Grand Union canal, and then over a private lake before sweeping up to the main house. Its an impressive start, and once inside it gets better. The grounds are enormous, perfect for long walks or cycling (they have free bike hire).

The facilities are equally impressive, with one of nicest pools I've swum in. Black marble and cut into the centre of a spa complex.

Staff were excellent. Not easy, as we saw one guy moaning about his food and demanding a refund - though it was excellent. He was just drunk and being difficult, but the staff handled it well.

This hotel definitely attracts the footballer / trader types - but you cant blame the management for that. I've never seen so many personalised plates in one car park. Bentleys, porsches and Land rover Evoques everywhere.

The only downside was that we were given the wrong time for our dinner, which meant we missed the reception and champagne, but we contacted the manager and they tried hard to make it up. Overall - top hotel and great staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TootingMike,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Grove. I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Grove post Xmas in 2011with our kids and had a fabulous time. My wife and I found ourselves with the option of a couple of days without the kids last Xmas and jumped at the chance of a return visit. everything about the place is wonderful, in particular the golf which is a complete experience from the condition of the course, bringing fresh towels to us while we were playing in a bit of rain, shoes and clubs cleaned after the round to name a few things. We even managed a repeat visit to the Scalextric room! Already planning our visit for post Xmas this year.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AInMag,
Thank you for your review of The Grove. I am delighted you were able to enjoy an escape with us this time without the children and I look forward to welcoming you all again soon.
Cumbria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We recently stayed at the grove while visiting friends. When we arrived our room was not ready and we had to wait about 30 mins, which was dissapointing as we were in a rush to get changed to go out. The room was lovely, a fantastic shower!
Breakfast is great but it depends where you are sitting! On our first morning we sat on the upper breakfast floor which is much comfier than eating on the lower floor. We did ask to move but we were told they were too busy. I think it would be nice to have a quiet breakfast seating area, as I would have loved to have been able to sit and read my paper in a quieter atmosphere but unfortunatly we were surrounded by many very young children. The grove is obviously very popular with families but I have to agree with a previous review the place is packed with unruly, whiney children. Maybe a child free eating area!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank sbr009
Dear sbr009,
Thank you for your review of The Grove. Breakfast in The Glasshouse is very popular and, whilst we will try, we cannot always accommodate people at their desired table. The Stables is also open for breakfast and provides an excellent alternative. I hope we will see you again soon.
Essex, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is the third time we have spent New Year at the Grove and I have rated as very good based on the beautiful grounds, excellent doormen, smart rooms and good breakfast at The Glasshouse. I do agree however with a previous reviewer that it is a bit of a zoo at that time of year (hopefully not at other times). We arrived to check in at 2pm and were told room not ready, strange when they had rung me to check what time we would be arriving! However we were offered a complimentary drink but there was no room anywhere to sit and we could not hear ourselves think. Eventually the manager found us a quiet area in the lounge which we had previously been told was unavailable. We had two rooms interconnecting and whilst overall very clean we were surprised to find a used cotton bud on the carpet!

Regarding the Gala dinner, we did find each year differs, one year the entertainment was excellent (russian dancers) the following year a dull couple singing, this year a great violinist laser show but only for a very short time. Having to wait until 10pm for your main course, 11.30 dessert is not great but the decoration of the room is beautiful and trees in the foyer areas are fab. Did miss the ice sculpture, place name settings and casino this year.

Overall a nice place you should try at least once.

Room Tip: Family room nice, suites good, standard interconnecting rooms ok too
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank MickeyBEssex_England
Dear MickeyBEssex_England,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Grove. I will discuss the comments you have raised with our team as we discuss all guest feedback from the festive period. I hope we will continue to welcome you at The Grove in the near future.
Hamilton Parish, Bermuda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I spent two days between Christmas and New Years. What a zoo! The place was crammed with noisey young families with unruly, whiney kids who ran rampant in the public places. The cavernous reception area is designed poorly and immediately adjacent to an overflow dining room / bar area. You couldn't hear yourself think.

There were no public areas for peace and quiet. This is not the sedate country getaway it professes to be. It is a large impersonal factory pushing through the well-heeled noveau riche who have few manners.

Why would any food service manager allow a 4 year old kid on a skateboard into his dining room?

It's hard to say what type of resort it is. It caters to golfers, spa enthusiasts, families with kids who need constant stimulation (they feature Anasouka's Kids Camp) and the conference goers. It's a mish mash!

Too negative you say? Well, they did make a decent attempt providing something for art lovers with an thoughtful outdoor display of modern sculptures. Another redeeming feature was the formal dining room 'Collette's' which was at least two standards beyond the hotel.

We will look for something smaller next time.

Room Tip: The hallways are long and narrow. Don't stray too far from the centre core otherwise your vacat...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tough2Please
Dear Tough2Please,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Grove. It is difficult for me to comment on other guests and their children, however we endeavour to provide a host of family activities to keep our younger guests entertained. I am pleased you were able to enjoy our grounds, sculptures and Colette’s and hope we will see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!