“Birthday week end ruined...”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday week end ruined...”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

It really saddens me to write a negative review about the grove as it is one of my favourite places to spend my time.
My partner booked us in for the weekend for my birthday treat, we arrived and checked in and all was fine. We unpacked and started getting ready to go down to dinner and my partner poured out some drinks for us to have on the balcony, when he opened the curtains thats when we realised that we had been given the wrong room. He had booked a deluxe room with beautiful views of the golf course and gardens, but we had been given a standard room, no balcony overlooking the car park. We don't often get away with out the children so being able to relax and have a few drinks enjoying the scenery is our idea of bliss, but we had to miss out on this.
On our way down to dinner we stopped off at reception and explained what had happened to the receptionist, she said she would check it out and too see her after our meal. We had a fantastic meal at colette's and on our way out looked around reception for the lady we had spoken to but someone different was there who was dealing with a guest and had a couple more guests waiting in line so we decided to go to bed and sort this out in the morning.
When we checked out we mentioned again what had happened and the young man asked us to prove which room we had booked by going through our emails on our phone which was taking quite a time. My partner was getting a little frustrated and asked the young man to help us out by checking his paper work. He did this and found it immediately, and then said that we were right and he would refund the difference between the 2 rooms. We found this totally unacceptable. This was not about money it was about missing out on a relaxing, stress free weekend.
We declined his offer and he said someone would contact us to sort this out.
We left and were then contacted a couple of other times by various members off staff. In the end we were contacted by someone who we think was reservations manager who totally added insult to injury by firstly again offering us a refund and then suggesting that what they had expected us to do was go back to reception after our lovely relaxing meal ( bearing in mind it was about 11o/c at night and a couple of bottles of wine later)and speak to them again as they had sorted us out the correct room, then go up and re-pack all our things and move to our new room there and then, completely ludicrous!
My partner told her what he thought of her suggestion and that he had had enough of this situation and to just leave it at that. He also told her he was not interested in a refund as this was not going to rectify the situation. She completely ignored him and issued refund anyway.
My partner and i both own our own business and from time to time things do go wrong, that is life, but we will always rectify the situation until our clients are satisfied 100% at total cost to ourselves.
We only live a couple of miles away from the grove and our only reason for staying there was complete relaxation, which unfortunately has just ended in a lot of stress.
All we wanted them to do was give us what we had booked and paid for, nothing more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank danni007
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear danni007,

May I extend my sincere apologies for our error with your booking. The reservation had been made via a third party site and the room category had been incorrectly assigned prior to your arrival. Once you had notified the team, a number of options were extended to you as we tried to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. I am sorry to hear that you declined all of these.

One of these had been a complimentary upgrade into the Mansion (a higher room category than your original booking) and our concierge team would take care of all your belongings to make the move as stress free as possible. This could have been done whilst you had dinner, but was declined.

Given your repeated comments at check-out, a fair and reasonable offer to return was extended. As you stated, "all you wanted us to do was give you what you had booked and paid for" which upon check-out is difficult for us to rectify. I am sorry you feel this was an inappropriate gesture.

Your credit card was refunded with the difference in room rate, as we would never wish to overcharge you for this error.

I would like to thank you for being a regular guest of The Grove. I hope we may welcome you back in the near future to experience a level of service more reflective of that which has previously led to your loyal custom.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Guildford
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been here three times now. First time was a break between christmas and new year with our daughter aged 12. Fabulous facilities for children and very welcoming with great food selection in buffet restaurant Glasshouse. Something for everyone and very high quality! Returned with my sister to celebrate her birthday and used the spa. Best relaxation room ever and I have been to many spas all over the world, however on my return last weekend to visit with my now 16 year old I was given a noisy treatment room, make sure to point out you don't want the room with noisy Air Conditioning! Colettes gives a finer dining experience for a more formal ocassion and again has wonderful food. Stables is great for a lunch. Lounges get busy with reserved seating for Cream Teas, be sure to book space ahead.

Room Tip: Have been in both Deluxe and Superior. Superior room did overlook car park. Better views from Delu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Sonia5,
Thank you for your review and continued loyalty towards The Grove. I will follow up on your comments with our spa team regarding the air conditioning in your treatment room, and share your wider compliments with the team. I hope we may see you again soon.
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Grove several times and played at the golf course many times. For me, the Grove is a luxurious hotel with a WGC golf course.The three restaurants cater for a variety of tastes with my favourite being the Glasshouse where you can eat a host of different things including sushi, roast beef on the bone, prawns and profiteroles (and many more things!). The team running the golf course is first rate; friendly, service-orientated and the greens are the best most people ever play. It is a pay & play course with some fun competitions plus great prizes (eg. Back on Black). Whilst the owners could drop the prices a bit, such places are a luxury for special occasions and it is generally busy despite the recession.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms over-looking the gardens/golf course rather than the car park - worth the extra cha...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeamGBLondon2012
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear TeamGBLondon2012,
Thank you for posting your review of The Grove and for your continued loyalty to The Grove. I am delighted to hear you had another fantastic golf experience and will share your kind words with our golf team. Both the "Back on Black" and "Audi R8 GT Cup" were popular golf competitions this year and we'll have news of 2013 dates shortly. I hope we will see you again soon.
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed at the hotel again with my family for one night and two days with my wife enjoying the spa and surroundings and me playing golf with my son. They had some good offers available which softened the blow somewhat but the venue continues to deliver, especially on the golf course. Dinner, bread and breakfast came with the package along with the golf and treatments which my wife said were amazing. Dinner was in the Glasshouse restaurant which is a buffet style affair but don't let that put you off - the food is exceptional and there is something for everyone. I was surprised how busy it was and especially with young families - clearly their off-peak offer was too attractive for many. The only niggle was that when we came to check out and settle-up they disputed the room rate and offer they had quoted and there were quite a few items on our bill that were nothing to do with us, eg. additional meals, two golf buggies instead of one. It was sorted out very quickly and on the whole the service is excellent.

Dear Peter T,
Thank you for posting your review of The Grove, and for the continued loyalty you and your family have shown. I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable and relaxing time with us, and look forward to welcoming you all again soon. There are some very tempting Christmas & New Year's Eve special offers to choose from, including a complimentary night and Warner Bros Studio Tour tickets.
London
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was our 2nd visit to this lovely hotel this year. We checked in with our 2 sons (4 & 10 months) for 3 nights. This is an extremely " child friendly" hotel and that is why we keep coming back. They definitely take it to another level! My husband played 2 rounds of golf on the course and he said it was well maintained and a thoroughly enjoyable experience. All 3 restaurants are good and have a great selection of food. I was disappointed that we couldn't dine this time around at Collette's as they were fully booked The kids can be kept busy at the onsite creche, the games room and being taken on cycle rides. The overall service is excellent and is clearly visible across the hotel. The rooms are good though we we were disappointed that we didn't get the fab view we got last time around. We will be definitely coming back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear seanuma,
Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for the loyalty ou have shown. We endeavour to make The Grove a special place for families and I'm so pleased you were able to relax and make full use of our facilities during your stay. Do have a look at our Christmas breaks with four nights for three and complimentary tickets to the newly opened Warner Bros Studio Tour (although it might be a little soon for your little ones!). I hope we will see you soon.
London
Reviewed October 29, 2012

From the moment we walked in until the moment we sadly left (because we wanted to stay longer!!), everything was virtually perfect.
1) check in was seamless and incredibly friendly - the valet took our car swiftly away with a smile
2) It was my fiance's Birthday (which i mentioned when I booked the room)... waiting for us in our room was a box of (incredible) chocolates and "happy birthday" written on a plate in chocolate! what service! extra mile indeed! so thoughtful - won me huge brownie points :)
3) the room is ample, new and very clean (we had the bottom of the line) huge TV, fabulously comfy king size bed, big bathroom... it was a bit of a walk as the place is huge! so you might want to bring a pair of trainers with you! Seriously You can hear the M25 when you open your windows... but didnt bother us believe it or not.
4) we had dinner (think couches in a living room rather than formal dining) in the Mansion House lounge in front of the cozy fire place and it was yummy - our server was friendly and the head chef even stopped by for a quick chat to find out how we were doing! what a nice guy!
5) the fitness center is fantastic - took a brilliant Boot Camp Class at 9:15am on sunday followed by the best breakfast buffet i have had in a long time - ample, fresh, delish... just wish i could have put some in my bag for later!
6) the spa is great as well! 20M pool with a bubble pool and steam. Only down side is the sauna is in the changing room so there is no co-ed one ... also there are only about 10 loungers to sit on... and they fill up quite quickly. the changing facilities are spotless and the soap/creams smell delish! we left squeaky clean!
7) the grounds are fantastic - we will defentily return in the summer when we can make use of the little beach, huge outdoor pool, 2 tennis courts, veg garden, fruit trees and fantastic walks...

If you are looking for a place to get away from it all - the Grove is a MUST! also very kid friendly!

dont miss this place! we loved it and will definitely be back... hopefully sooner rather than later! thank you for making my fiance's birthday weekend spectacular!

Room Tip: Ask for one near reception if you're not into walking!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lizzielee,
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am so pleased you and your fiance were able to celebrate with us. I will be delighted to share your feedback with the team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.
UK
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Grove is a modern, smart hotel close to the M25.

The building is slightly weird – a medium-grade country house backed by a very large, modern, high quality hotel extension, and surrounded by a golf course.

Our room, however, was comfortable, well-designed and sophisticated; and the overall experience of the hotel was very good.

One disappointment was with swimming pools. For good reasons, children aren't allowed in the spa pool – they can spoil the experience when you're have a quiet, couple's weekend break. However, the alternative pool was only good for very small children, meaning that there are no real family swimming facilities.

That said, we had fun playing pool on the full-sized table, and we had a good walk around the grounds.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and I recommend the Grove.

Room Tip: If you want privacy, get a first or second floor room - people walking in the garden can see into gr...
Dear James_Manktelow,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am delighted to read you had a positive experience at The Grove. If I may, I would like to add children (over 12) may use Sequoia's indoor pool between 9-11am and 3-5pm, with parental supervision. Of course, if you visit in the summer then the beach and outdoor pool are a must, as well as the bikes, tennis, indoor games room and more! I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Grove in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Holiday Inn London - Watford Junction

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!