It really saddens me to write a negative review about the grove as it is one of my favourite places to spend my time.
My partner booked us in for the weekend for my birthday treat, we arrived and checked in and all was fine. We unpacked and started getting ready to go down to dinner and my partner poured out some drinks for us to have on the balcony, when he opened the curtains thats when we realised that we had been given the wrong room. He had booked a deluxe room with beautiful views of the golf course and gardens, but we had been given a standard room, no balcony overlooking the car park. We don't often get away with out the children so being able to relax and have a few drinks enjoying the scenery is our idea of bliss, but we had to miss out on this.
On our way down to dinner we stopped off at reception and explained what had happened to the receptionist, she said she would check it out and too see her after our meal. We had a fantastic meal at colette's and on our way out looked around reception for the lady we had spoken to but someone different was there who was dealing with a guest and had a couple more guests waiting in line so we decided to go to bed and sort this out in the morning.
When we checked out we mentioned again what had happened and the young man asked us to prove which room we had booked by going through our emails on our phone which was taking quite a time. My partner was getting a little frustrated and asked the young man to help us out by checking his paper work. He did this and found it immediately, and then said that we were right and he would refund the difference between the 2 rooms. We found this totally unacceptable. This was not about money it was about missing out on a relaxing, stress free weekend.
We declined his offer and he said someone would contact us to sort this out.
We left and were then contacted a couple of other times by various members off staff. In the end we were contacted by someone who we think was reservations manager who totally added insult to injury by firstly again offering us a refund and then suggesting that what they had expected us to do was go back to reception after our lovely relaxing meal ( bearing in mind it was about 11o/c at night and a couple of bottles of wine later)and speak to them again as they had sorted us out the correct room, then go up and re-pack all our things and move to our new room there and then, completely ludicrous!
My partner told her what he thought of her suggestion and that he had had enough of this situation and to just leave it at that. He also told her he was not interested in a refund as this was not going to rectify the situation. She completely ignored him and issued refund anyway.
My partner and i both own our own business and from time to time things do go wrong, that is life, but we will always rectify the situation until our clients are satisfied 100% at total cost to ourselves.
We only live a couple of miles away from the grove and our only reason for staying there was complete relaxation, which unfortunately has just ended in a lot of stress.
All we wanted them to do was give us what we had booked and paid for, nothing more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grove, London's country estate, is more than a five-star hotel. Set in 300 acres and only 18 miles from central London, the former home of the Earls of Clarendon is also a luxury 18-hole golf resort, a fabulous spa and unique venue for meetings, weddings and celebrations. Also included in The Grove's extensive facilities are three restaurants including Colette’s, awarded three AA rosettes. A 4acre Walled Garden with urban beach, tennis courts and outdoor pool. A selection of bike and jogging trials to enjoy with complimentary bike hire; and Anouska’s Kids’ Club, graded outstanding by OFSTED makes The Grove a parent and child-friendly resort. Lovingly restored to stunning effect, the property fuses contemporary design and original period architecture with exceptionally caring and professional service. We look forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Grove Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grove Chandlers Cross
- Grove Hotel Chandlers Cross
- The Grove Hotel UK/Hertfordshire, England