“Superb”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Highly recommended. The grounds are fab and the art is something to be considered at every turn. You just want to stay for longer. It's really relaxing and the atmosphere is so chilled. Really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maria M
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Maria M,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at The Grove. We truly believe it is our 300 acres that makes The Grove the ultimate destination for a weekend break or relaxing retreat. I do hope we will be able to welcome you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,835)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Played and stayed at The Grove on a Sunday/Monday break.course is excellent and the condition was amazing.
Stayed on the Sunday night and made full use of the pool/steam room,which again was excellent.
Dined in the Stables restaurant and had breakfast in the Glasshouse.Excellent
What a place !!
Already looking forward to my return

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank BillWhite8

Dear BillWhite8,
Thank you for your kind words and I do hope we will be able to welcome you again in the near future. Keep an eye on our offers page for the latest promotions for golf and spa breaks.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

looking at other guest recent reviews i can see our stay was a total hit and miss and we really experience the worst service this hotel had to offer !!
a shame cause as recently moving to London we were really looking forward to our stay , thinking it could be our second home in the English country side .
my wife and i booked last minute thru LHW as we are members and quite active i must say as this year we will achieve around 10 diff stays in diff destinations and hotels. so needless to say we are used to stay in 5 stars and used to LHW customer treatment ...
we arrived at the hotel around 11AM , 1st impression on the hotel ground was really good ! Second again good as the doorman was really friendly and welcoming, I think his name is Danny and I must say the guy should be training the rest of the staff when it comes to greeting guest properly and offering a spotless service. But it ended right there when we arrived at the reception where a man and a female were looking at us but not acknowledging us at all even ignoring us ,was it because my wife and I were dressed with our hiking gears , as we had planned to go on a hike right after checking in ? and not all “sparkling” with designer cloths, shoe and bag ?? it looked like it to me and they made us feel very uncomfortable …., we finally had to greet them 1st and inquire if they could take care of us , which is just unacceptable in a 5 star hotel ! They looked into their system and could not find our reservation, I said that I booked the night before thru LHW and they said they needed to check not sounding very sure and as my husband and I were starting to show a bit worried they advised us to have a coffee at the bar and they would get back to us shortly. We went to the bar but a bit annoyed and stressed by the whole situation.
After 15mn wait nobody came to see us we went back to the reception and the woman said straight away that the room was ready and gave us the key asking us almost bored if we knew our way the room!! Excuse me but we had just arrived and this was the 1st time ever a 5 star hotel introduced us to our room this way! I read other reviews and it seems the way the grove proceeds which I find a bit too familiar a rude. Also I found really annoying we had to chase them to know what was going on with our room! So even if we had an early check in they simply spoiled this nice gesture by being so rude and unprofessional! Plus the man at the reception had to add that we could not get the LHW member upgrade as they were fully booked (untrue cause I could see avail on my iphone) and instead we could have a late checkout. Again this could have been done nicely and politely but the way he said it implied that we should be happy to have a room and the lhw member can get upgrade OR late check out !!! Which is untrue those 2 options are not one or the other it is up to hotel availability and if both can be done LHW members are entitled to this. of course if hoteliers cannot meet this due to lack of availability we of course understand , but again the way it was presented in that case was really not nice .
We finally got to the room , it was ok , nothing special and looking over the hotel parking ! not really the best view . but for us it would have been ok if the rest ie the staff and the service would have been up to a 5 stars hotel . when walking on the hotel corridors to find our room we met a few staff members and all of them except a few maid , ignored us and did not greet us or let us pass before , we even had to let them pass 1st !!! in many excellent 5* I have been we were always greeted even sometimes by our surname and never a staff would try to overtake us and cross our way in the hotel corridors , this is a matter of manners and courtesy !!
When we got back in the lobby we by chance met the guest relation manager too happy to explain what happened to us and advising that we were really disappointed, she seemed to be genuinely concerned about and advised she could try to get us an upgrade later in the day , to which we strongly pointed out the problem was not getting the upgrade it was getting the appropriate service during our stay for which we paid a fairly good amount of money , since so far bank note doesn’t grow on tree I believe when one pay such a high amount as 350GBP for a night one should expect excellent service, respect and consideration. And as a firm believer it is always best to advice hotelier of the issues during the stay so he can make thing up to fix it rather than leaving a horrible critic afterward and being frustrated about the whole thing. I thought thing would get better , well In that case it only got us an upgrade but really it did not cover at all for what we experienced with most of the staff , 1st at the spa the reception was cold and really pretentious NOT one of the 3 girls at the reception greeted me of my wife on arrival , really who do they think they are ? this was by far the worst spa staff we ever had , at the gym the person in charge of the place was more busy chatting with another staff member doing his work out than helping guest and cleaning the bin filled with empty bottle of waters spreading on the floor ! or cleaning the used towels laid on the different machines by previous guests , and of course not a greeting in sight when we arrived !
Even the guest customer relation we met again in the hotel corridor really disappointed us by ignoring us totally and the least she should have done is inquire if our stay was better and if she could do anything to make it even better? At the glasshouse restaurant we experienced the same kind of very snooty service, again who do these people think they are? …..On top the wait was so long and the waiter were barely understanding English! For the desert we waited 30 mn someone dare to take our order !!!! plus food was ok but nothing amazing .
Really that stay was a waste of time and money , if you can afford this hotel well use the same money and fly abroad you will find a better service for example in the beau rivage in Lausanne or palais namaskar in morocco , check my reviews . but don’t waste your time at the grove which is again another pretentious 5stars hotel who forgot luxury is about service, service and service ! I would only advice to stop upgrading people and start deliver a proper 5 star service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank W144EVER
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear pmetka,
Thank you for your review, although I am disappointed to read the content especially when you say you wish to have these matters resolved during your stay rather than complain afterwards. I will look into your comments further and endeavour to get a better understanding of the circumstances around your stay. We take all feedback seriously and will act upon any shortcomings highlighted. I would like to reiterate that we pride ourselves on the level of service we deliver and the attentive (but not intrusive) nature of our staff. I do hope you may return and have a more positive experience of The Grove in the near future.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed here in September 2012 and the service was fantastic. My wife booked us a couple of nights here for my birthday and the overall expereince was really good.

We had their cheapest room which was ample for the majority of everyones needs. A comfy super kingsize bed with flat screen TV, tea and coffee, bathroom with shower plus ample wardrobe space for a few days worth of clothes. The room was also spacious with comfortable chairs, dressing table and also bed side tables without cramping the room.

Outside of the room are grounds littered with huge sculptures which you can either buy or just admire. The grounds are lovely with both walking and biking trails, plus the fabulous golf course. You could just spend days wandering around the grounds, looking at the beauty of the trees, plants etc as well as the animals who live in the grounds.

We had the breakfast on both days which was plentiful and well cooked. The selection was ample fo all with hot and cold, fruits, juices, tea and coffee, meats and cheeses plus omlettes, waffles and probably some other food that I have missed out. Something for everyone there. We also ate dinner in the glasshouse which is the same building as breakfast. This is a very interesting buffet dinner but excellently cooked and probably one of the best buffets I have ever had. That said it is £50 a head so you should expect very good food. We had sushi, mezze, freshly cooked bread, lamb tagine with vegetables, chinese noodles plus a great selection of desserts.

We also hired some bikes for a couple of hours which was free and good fun, plus we spent time by the beach area and ate at the BBQ by the beach. The food was excellent although the cost was very expensive (£25 each I think). The salads and the meat was excellent and also the service from the chef was some of the best I have ever received, we were impressed.

Lastly I also played 18 holes of golf. Again the service was top draw with helpful advice on hand plus your clubs cleaned once you finish the round. Once word of advice is that you need to be there a good hour beforehand to warm up as the driving area is not on the way to the first and I had to move my tee off time to accommodate my late arrival (again this was not a problem). This cost £99 for a twilight round and £7 for the balls to warm up on the range.

We also visited the spa which was very relaxing and we were disappointed that they were fully booked otherwise massges would ahve been on the agenda. The pool looks black which is a bit weird to start with but just different from most other places.

Overall I would say this is a great place to stay with good food and great service. The only word of warning is that everything is expensive but as they say you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wildsnoopster

Dear Wildsnoopster,
Thank you for your review of The Grove. I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable birthday with us and made full use of our facilities. I do hope we can welcome you again in the near future. Please sign up on our website to receive the latest special offers and promotions.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My lesser half had a conference here, he had to persuade me to come. Wow, how glad am I! Absolutely stunning, with regards to the previous reviews, footballers wives is fitting, but fair to say it was popular with the young city banker looking types. who ever was in there made no difference to the service or surroundings. stunning property with fantastic staff and facilities. I spet the day on my own, so spent it all in the spa!! naughty. i cant talk about it enough, thoroughly recommended. we dined in the fine dinning restaurant after the conference, again..superb. I dont think i would bring the kids here it would feel an inconvenience, to myself really!lol where the Grove looks and says it is family friendly, I dont think the clientele appreciate it, they dont look like the type, most were a bit snotty. They have created a wonderful product, i only live in london so it is quite near to me, and would not normally spend that amount of money especially on my doorstep. If the opportunity came to return however, I would. Hint hint to the hubby. Amazing and well done.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank littleladyvp
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear littleladyvp,
Thank you for your kind review of The Grove. I am so pleased you were able to spend time relaxing in Sequoia and enjoy dinner in Colette's. I hope we'll be able to welcome the whole family next time and show you another side to our offering.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Arrived 2 days after our wedding for the day/evening before we flew off on honeymoon. With the stress and lead up to wedding, we both couldnt wait to relax.
We had booked the package for a treatment each in the spa, dinner a The Glasshouse, stay and breakfast.
We arrived and had a complimentary upgrade over looking the golf course as we had just married. The room was incredible, views & bathroom great too.
We headed down to the Spa for our treatments (in our dressing gowns). The massage was fab and service was 2nd to none.
After having a doze in the relaxation room, then headed upstairs to get ready for our dinner.
Weve eaten at the glasshouse many time but this time was extra special being the first meal as a married couple. after a few glasses of wine we headed through to dinner where as usual, we were served with great manners & service.
Following dinner we went out and carried on with a few more (maybe to many considering we had a flight early morning) with the fantastic guy, cant remember his name now. for the groves records he was the young laf who could 'flare'?!

Around 1230-1 we headed upstairs to our lovely comfortable bed & awoke to the typical english rainy weather in which we headed off the following morning, without eating breakfast as we were to early. with help from concierge with our bags, & car collected & drove down to Gatwick to head on which was the most incredible honeymoon we couldve asked for.

We cant recommend The Grove enough, and although we live nearby & is quite pricey, the service is 2nd to none & grounds are beautifully manicured. Thanks for being as great as always guys.
Have been back since for afternoon tea & dinner twice & again couldnt fault it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 425stephanieh
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Stephanie B
Thank you very much for writing your review following your stay with us.
We’re delighted that you had such a thoroughly enjoyable experience at The Grove and I will certainly share your feedback with the team. We look forward to welcoming you again for an anniversary stay perhaps, if not before.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place could be great but it's run by the footballers wives with screaming children running around. I stayed at the mansion and my room was divine. They even bring your own toaster to your room in the morning.
The spa is amazing. Love the black tile swimming pool but be warned the noise of children can spoilt your experience so stick to the adult only times.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ilovewine2012
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we're delighted that you were pleased with your Mansion room and that you enjoyed your time at Sequoia spa. We do our best to cater for couples and families alike and welcome children, aged 12 years and over in the Sequoia swimming pool during certain times. We do have a dedicated children’s pool at Anouska’s Kids club and a heated outdoor pool in our Walled Garden where children can swim at all times during the warmer months., which we encourage families to use.
We welcome and encourage all feedback and act upon it wherever we can, so please contact us directly if you would like to discuss how we can ensure that your next stay is a perfect experience. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you to The Grove again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!