“Excellent food and service”
Review of The Clarendon - CLOSED

The Clarendon
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Clarendon is a fine dining, family friendly restaurant serving locally served produce to over 700 guests each week. Situated in the quiet Hertfordshire town of Chandlers Cross, we're the perfect venue for party bookings, romantic meals, weekend breakfasts, business lunches or simply a fancy cocktail at the bar.We respond to all reviews.
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Went to The Clarendon this evening with friends and found it exceptionally good. The service was excellent and the food was wonderful. I had the asparagus, my husband the soup, one of our friends had foie gras and the other the salad. For mains two of us had steaks and two of us had the duck. It was all superbly cooked and very tasty. Our waitress was lovely and extremely helpful and the wait for food was exactly right - we weren't rushed and we didn't have to look at our watches. The house red was lovely and all in all an extremely nice evening. Pricewise not much different to any decent meal for two with wine. I cannot understand some of the previous reviews who complain about the food, service and price. We would not hesitate to go back and would highly recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank Peekan

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Limited space for Pre-drinks. Arguing and bickering amongst the bar staff.
A lot staff but appeared to be lacking organisation as felt chaotic and quite stressful.

We were lucky to get okay service as people complaining all around us.

Food was what you would expect by over priced in my opinion. Menu on web site out of date compared to restaurant.

Would struggle to recommend at the price.

Been to nearby Grove and that was much better.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I visited the restauaunt on Saturday night, upon arrival I was immediately greeted and made to feel extremely welcome, the service was excellent throughout, although I would prefer the wine to be left on the table.

The food was excellent, however I expected a bit bigger portion for the price, I wouldn't recommend a large eater to done here as you will still be hungry!

Cocktails at £8 a go are far to much money

However I enjoyed the expierience and would recommend the place

1  Thank Andygilbert11
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Really disappointed. Food was ok, I'd compare the food with the Alford arms locally or something like a Blanc Brasserie, which is fine at Alford arms or Blanc brasserie prices but it cost us £230 for 2 people (same as we paid at the fat duck - Michelain starred and champagne all night). We had 2 bottles of one of the cheapest wines on the menu. And I'd had my starter before they told me theycould no longer do my main course because the chef had "dropped it". We have 3 young children and don't get out much so feel really cheated. Top Michelain restaurant expensive for local normal gastro pub food.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Booked for 7pm and was shown to a room just off the bar area with 4 tables for 2 people at the back of the room. At the front of the room were sofas and tables for people to come in just for drinks. We found this annoying as children were allowed in and we were trying to eat our meal. Since found out that there is another restaurant upstairs which serves the same menu. So next time we shall ask for a table upstairs!!!!

The food was average but my main gripe was with the wine waiter. Several times we had to ask for more wine to be poured and then our glasses were taken away and we still had half of bottle wine left.

Service was very slow and we left the restaurant at 9pm just in time for the next sitting.