“More Silvia Fawlty Victims”
Review of The Falcon Hotel

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Comptche, California
“More Silvia Fawlty Victims”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Best thing I can say about this place is it might well be worth it for the amusement value. We ate dinner there and have been chuckling over it ever since. When we entered the lounge bar, there was no one serving, but Silvia (recognized her immediately I read the previous postings) was sitting in a comfy chair with her leg elevated. "I can't help you," she announced, "I have to keep off this leg." "John will help you at the bar." But all could plainly see there was no John. Eventually, Silvia intimidated another guest to go out and ring the hotel reception bell to summon John. Shortly after, he came out and sold me two drinks. I asked for the dinner menu, and waited for about 10 min for him to return with one. He didn't, and meanwhile Silvia simply chatted away with a friend. Eventually, I gave up and took our drinks over to my wife. Oddly, she had the menu. John had left me waiting at the bar, but gone around through another entrance to give her a menu, leaving me stranded. And needless to say, Silvia didn't advise me of this. What could be more of a Fawlty Towers farce than this? Things then looked up for a while. John came back and took our orders, vegetable curry for my wife, and spicy duck for me. Then we waited. And we waited. After about a half hour, on my way back from the gents, I saw my wife being bundled into the dining room. She had been told we couldn't eat in the bar and must sit in the restaurant, which we dutifully did. Then we waited some more. Eventually Silvia emerged from the kitchen and screamed "you're at the wrong table!" Mmmm? There were precisely two tables laid up for two and we had fairly arbitrarily picked one. 50/50 chance I'd say, but we lost. We slinked over to the "right" table, which Silvia explained "is closer to the kitchen." Actually, it isn't. It's two paces further. I checked. And, it's a tiny room, but nonetheless clearly closer to the kitchen than the bar. Silvia hobbled out from the kitchen with our meals, which she served with a mouthwatering "that's the duck, this is the curry" explanation. Food was mediocre. It lay somewhere in the middle of that large grey domain between nourishment and enjoyment. The spicy duck consisted of 4 dry duck drumsticks devoid, as far as I could tell, of any spices. It came with a nice couscous though, with pumpkin and flax seeds. Healthy and tasty. The curry was too sweet but edible. When we asked for our bill, we were told we could certainly have it, if we went to the hotel reception. We did and paid up. Two people, two drinks, two one plate meals required us to sit at three different tables, suffer a long wait at the bar, and pay in two separate locations. On the bright side, the Falcon is a great old building, and the whole experience cost us only £18.20. I doubt there's better entertainment value anywhere in Bromyard.

• Visited August 2012