“Disappointing!”
Review of The Greyhound Inn

The Greyhound Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Aldbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We have had some really lovely meals here. So I was very disappointed when we visited last Friday night. The restaurant was empty, cold and the food was very average. I'm not sure if the restaurant has changed ownership but the staff appeared disinterested and unhelpful to the few diners they had. Will not be going back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Chelsea84

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I've have been coming to this pub for a number of years. The staff and the owner are usually always friendly and polite and the food is fantastic! However I came for dinner with some friends on Tuesday and was a bit disappointed. The manager as usual was very entertaining and charming. Had a good chat to the lovely girl who was serving behind the bar and in the restaurant. However when our meals came the other young blonde waitress did not seem entirely sure of what she had in her hand. She placed the meals in the wrong place and shrugged her shoulders when we told her it was in the wrong order. She also referred to one of our main dishes wrong! She may have been new though, not entirely sure. But some courtesy and politeness goes along way!
Apart from this we had a lovely time and the food was great.
I would recommend coming here In a heartbeat! The lamb is phenomenal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Olivia H
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I wanted to add to my previous review yesterday, especially after reading other reviews.
We too have eaten in this pub on other occasions (not Sunday lunch) and everything was great.
So what happens on Sundays???
Is it the regular staff day off?
Why do so many places make the same mistake? Surely Sunday lunch is the 'family get together time' and often people decide to eat out. This probably proves to be the most popular day of the week to try somewhere for lunch. It's the golden opportunity to impress and encourage new business and happy customers. Believe me, freezers and microwaves will not do that.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cels50
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Booked my family (4 & 3 yr olds) into The Greyhound after a family party at Ashridge College. Expected to be able to have an evening meal / drink in the bar with my wife, but first disappointment, we were in an annex away from the pub.
We dont carry a baby monitor these days, and the pub staff didnt have any ideas, so being an engineer I figured we would set up a baby monitor using WiFi and our phones ... the phones worked fine, but then we discovered the pub's own WiFi doesnt work in the annex because the chef has his own WiFi network that blocks the signal!
The kids were asleep by seven, so we were effectively room-bound the entire evening.
On the positive side the quality of the room was fine, as was breakfast in the morning.
Staying here was a big disappointment and waste of £90 for us, particularly given the fact I told them the ages of our children when I booked. The local Premier Inn would have been £55 for a decent family room and we would have got a meal!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex with a young family.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We came here for a night as we were visiting nearby Whipsnade Zoo the following day. We booked online and were assigned a slightly small room, which was perfectly adequate. Upon checking out we spoke with the owner and she recommended calling before booking online as then she can discuss which rooms are free, as they do vary.

We ate both dinnner and breakfast (cooked to order!) there and the food was outstanding, with the service also perfectly attentive. Aldbury is very picturesque and They Greyhound is smack in the middle, with good access to nearby woods and hills which seems to attract a lot of walkers. We would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Call ahead and speak to the owner.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TimSlade
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here at the end of our Ridgeway hike. While the rooms are dated, they are adequate and in a building separate from the pub/restaurant, so noise was not an issue. The pub was a fun place with lots of conversation and the restaurant spacious, up-to-date and serves very good food. The best part of our stay was the people who worked there; they were all friendly, interesting to talk to and incredibly helpful. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Check into your room, then sit in the pub for a pint and a good chat.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

In order to be fair I have done 2 reviews for this one for the hotel and a separate one for the restaurant, so here goes for the hotel.
I am a great believer that on business if you are not going to do it properly then it is best not to do it at all. Now at £65 for B&B this is a very reasonably priced hotel for the area, however when it comes to the accommodation that is where the positives end. I stayed in the Moneybury Hill room and to say it looks cheap and dated is to do it a favour. The furniture is cheap, looks it and feels it, the carpet is dirty, the bed does not have a headboard, the walls desperately need painting and the main light would be more at home in a public underpass. The bathroom is another story completely, the shower is not worth having and has 2 settings, which it chooses, scalding and freezing, in order to have a shave I had to boil the kettle in order to get some water hot enough. The linoleum on the floor appears to have been there since a time when it was first fashionable in the 70's and it just generally had a feeling of not being very clean. All in all the accommodation is extremely disappointing and personally I feel the best thing would be to either completely refurbish the rooms to a standard that matches the food or to use it as staff accommodation as it was a VERY BIG LET DOWN.

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Kelvin M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldbury
Pendley Manor Hotel
#2 of 2 in Berkhamsted
Chartridge Lodge
Chartridge Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chesham

Been to The Greyhound Inn? Share your experiences!