“Not for young families”
Review of The Greyhound Inn

The Greyhound Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Aldbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Booked my family (4 & 3 yr olds) into The Greyhound after a family party at Ashridge College. Expected to be able to have an evening meal / drink in the bar with my wife, but first disappointment, we were in an annex away from the pub.
We dont carry a baby monitor these days, and the pub staff didnt have any ideas, so being an engineer I figured we would set up a baby monitor using WiFi and our phones ... the phones worked fine, but then we discovered the pub's own WiFi doesnt work in the annex because the chef has his own WiFi network that blocks the signal!
The kids were asleep by seven, so we were effectively room-bound the entire evening.
On the positive side the quality of the room was fine, as was breakfast in the morning.
Staying here was a big disappointment and waste of £90 for us, particularly given the fact I told them the ages of our children when I booked. The local Premier Inn would have been £55 for a decent family room and we would have got a meal!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex with a young family.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We came here for a night as we were visiting nearby Whipsnade Zoo the following day. We booked online and were assigned a slightly small room, which was perfectly adequate. Upon checking out we spoke with the owner and she recommended calling before booking online as then she can discuss which rooms are free, as they do vary.

We ate both dinnner and breakfast (cooked to order!) there and the food was outstanding, with the service also perfectly attentive. Aldbury is very picturesque and They Greyhound is smack in the middle, with good access to nearby woods and hills which seems to attract a lot of walkers. We would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Call ahead and speak to the owner.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TimSlade
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here at the end of our Ridgeway hike. While the rooms are dated, they are adequate and in a building separate from the pub/restaurant, so noise was not an issue. The pub was a fun place with lots of conversation and the restaurant spacious, up-to-date and serves very good food. The best part of our stay was the people who worked there; they were all friendly, interesting to talk to and incredibly helpful. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Check into your room, then sit in the pub for a pint and a good chat.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

In order to be fair I have done 2 reviews for this one for the hotel and a separate one for the restaurant, so here goes for the hotel.
I am a great believer that on business if you are not going to do it properly then it is best not to do it at all. Now at £65 for B&B this is a very reasonably priced hotel for the area, however when it comes to the accommodation that is where the positives end. I stayed in the Moneybury Hill room and to say it looks cheap and dated is to do it a favour. The furniture is cheap, looks it and feels it, the carpet is dirty, the bed does not have a headboard, the walls desperately need painting and the main light would be more at home in a public underpass. The bathroom is another story completely, the shower is not worth having and has 2 settings, which it chooses, scalding and freezing, in order to have a shave I had to boil the kettle in order to get some water hot enough. The linoleum on the floor appears to have been there since a time when it was first fashionable in the 70's and it just generally had a feeling of not being very clean. All in all the accommodation is extremely disappointing and personally I feel the best thing would be to either completely refurbish the rooms to a standard that matches the food or to use it as staff accommodation as it was a VERY BIG LET DOWN.

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Kelvin M
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in the area early as we were attending a wedding locally. After a quick chat with a member of staff we were able to check into our room early without any fuss which allowed us to get ready and dress for the wedding.
We stayed in Bluebell room, which was very comfortable, clean and spacious.
The B&B itself is a very quirky old building filled with character.
After a great night sleep we enjoyed a fantastic quality breakfast served by friendly staff.
The B&B is set in a lovely location, and we would definitely return to explore the surrounding area.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed 10th September, whilst I was a little apprehensive after reading a few other reviews I was plesantly supprised and enjoyed my stay. The Greyhounds Food and Beer are excellent and the staff really are customer focused with the pub having a really nice atmosphere.

My room was a good size, its was a bit dated and whilst I had a really good shower the bathroom wasnt quite up to the standards of the rest of the establishment.

I would stay again I had a really peaceful nights sleep.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Parking in Aldbury can be a bit of a challenge, the Greyhound has far more tables than there appears to be parking for in the village centre, but once you've got parked the rest of the evening should be very good.

It has a small but tidy bar area, and large restaurant area - although it didn't feel over crowded and it wasn't too noisy.

The menu provides good choice and the specials when we were there were also very interesting.

Service was very prompt and efficient, and there was nothing to complain about. We are already planning to return to this restaurant

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldbury
Pendley Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Tring
No photo provided
The Queen's Head
#4 of 5 in Tring

Been to The Greyhound Inn? Share your experiences!