“Very good indeed”
Review of Ryehill Cottage

Ryehill Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beaulieu
Ryehill Cottage
Ranked #3 of 5 Beaulieu B&B and Inns
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Very good indeed”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Although we do not regularly stay in B & B's, I have to say this was easily the best we have ever experienced. A delightful, peaceful stay in very pleasant surroundings. We were made to feel very welcome in this attractive, timbered, listed building close to Beaulieu village, and the National Motor Museum. The breakfasts were fantastic, both in quality and quantity - we certainly did not need any lunch on the days of our stay. Our two nights passed all too quickly, but should we ever be needing to stay in this part of the world again, then Ryehill Cottage would be on the top of our list

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Nottingham
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Where to start? Can't praise the cottage or the hosts enough. Jenny and Richard's beautiful home is a charming 300 year old listed building. Everything had been thought of for our comfort -lovely soft bathrobes, toiletries, plenty of books and magazines plus information on places to visit. The place was spotlessly clean, extremely comfortable beds and the best beakfast ever - seriously, unbeaten anywhere. Jenny provided plenty of tea and coffee at other times too. There was no bathroom but a small, modern black and silver shower room adjacent to the bedroom - not ensuite. The garden was a delight, full of colour with a stream and pond. Poppy, their little dog was absolutely lovely - didn't jump up, didn't bark or yap, just came and lay beside us. Jenny and Richard were extremely helpful with ideas for places to eat and rang to make reservations for us if required.

The cottage is only 15 minutes walk from the village of Beaulieu and about 10 in the other direction to Beaulieu palace and National Motor Museum. Two miles beyond Beaulieu, walking by the river, is Buckler's Hard a former shipbuilding village with a maritime museum, well worth visiting.

Our holiday was lovely. We would definitely recommend Rye Hill Cottage and intend to return again soon. Thanks to Jenny and Richard for being such wonderful hosts.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HeidiBrown
Winchester, UK
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I called to check availability for Thurs 10th September during the morning and found, to my surprise, that there was room at the inn for me and, having stayed with Jenny and Richard once two years before, my heart sang!! These people really know how to look after you.

Being one of those odd balls who arrive after 11.00 pm, I was releived to find my room ready and waiting, the light left on and all exactly as I expected.

In the morning, a beautiful Breakfast with Jenny and Richard, as much tea or coffee as I could manage and then a walk around their georgeous garden with their little dog, who happily posed for my camera but eventually walked off in a huff as the results were less than pleasing due to my lack of skill, not her lack of patience.

This was the weekend when Beaulieu goes completely bonkers and hosts the Classic Auto Jumble, so I was in for a real treat. Whilst playing with my camera in the garden, I was delighted to discover a trailer laden with 2 superb classic MG's parked up outside. The owner was checking on the availability of a room and so I started snapping with my Canon 40D!! What a bonus!

You see, the cottage is just so pretty that people driving along the little lane can not stop themselves from pulling over to check it out. Once inside, it gets even better and then coupled with the friendly and helpful nature of it's owners, it isn't difficult to see why Ryehill Cottage does so exceedingly well. My first stay here was in April 2006 with my 94 year old Mother. We visited the Exbury Gardens for the Spring colour, Rhododendrons etc., and were thoroughly spoiled by Richard and Jenny who made our stay so wonderfully special. That was the last time that Mum was well enough to be out in my car and I am just so thankful that we were able to spend this time together in such an absolutely heavenly place.

With Thanks to both Richard and Jenny for their many kindnesses.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Hotclublady
UK, London
Reviewed August 28, 2008

Staying in this cottage was really lovely. People saying it was tacky or that Richard was 'over' friendly is rubbish in our eyes. Yes, the bedding (2 single quilts on a double bed) was a bit strange, but overall, my husband and i really did enjoy our stay. Richard and Jenny were great, made us welcome and could'nt do enough to make our stay a great one. Tea and coffee making facilities not available in rooms, but when you see the plush nearly white carpet throughout the place, you'd understand why they'd prefer you did'nt drink tea/coffee up there.
And yes, there is no tv in the room, but so what? Have you gone away to watch tv? We stayed there for 2 days and were filled with things to do. People are just too fussy.
The breakfast was first class. Started with half a grapefruit, then there was muisli, fresh fruit, natural yogurt and milk. Then followed a big fried breakfast, endless amount of tea/coffee or fresh orange juice. Needless to say, lunch was a late one after that feast! I have attached a picture taken from the bottom of the garden at the cottage. The grounds were amazing, really beautiful. And yes, the cottage is on a main bendy road, but it is the country side, not busy and i was'nt woken once with motor noise and i'm a light sleeper!
If you decide to stay here, enjoy!

• Liked — The garden
  • Disliked — The single quilts
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SonyaM
Leerdam
Reviewed January 12, 2008

I used Ryehill Cottage in several occasions and confirm my appreciation.
If you love the real English country cottage and warm hospitality, Ryehill is the place to go. Breakfast is second to none and Jenny and Richard are lovely people.
To me this place is highly recommended for everyone who wants to experience the wonderful New Forrest.

• Liked — The people running it.
  • Disliked — Non
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
Reviewed November 29, 2007

We stayed here for two nights in late October 2007. Five stars is not enough for this charming B&B! My fiance arranged a surprise trip and to drive up to such a beautiful cottage and be told we will be staying there for the weekend was really an amazing surprise! I really can't describe how stunning the house is, you really are made to feel at home here.

We arrived in the middle of a dinner party for ten, but it was still no trouble for Jenny and Richard to welcome us and show us to our room. They sorted us out with a torch and directed us to the local restaurant for some dinner (along a spooky forest path, eek!!)

The room was lovely, with a mix of old fashioned and modern furniture and the bathroom across the hall was very modern and shiny. It is very small but this just adds to the charm of the place - my fiance who is 6ft 3" managed to shower with no problems. There were nice soft bathrobes on the back of the bedroom door and lots of toiletries and moisturisers in the room so there's no need to worry if you forget something. The 'touch on touch off' lamps provided us with lots of amusement as they seem to have a mind of their own!

The breakfast was fabulous, with so much choice and a delicious home-made fruit compote that was the best I've tasted. It was the first candle-lit breakfast I've ever had, very romantic!

As mentioned in previous reviews - it is on the bend of a main road, but there was no traffic noise and this should not put anyone off staying here.

There are many attractions nearby and is a good base if you are planning some walks. Jenny and Richard recommended The Red Lion in Boldre to go for a meal and the food there was delicious, we would definitely eat there again - it was very good.

Overall, it is a really lovely country B&B with great service. Stay here if you want a nice relaxed break with fabulous food and hosts.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed July 24, 2007

We saw the photo of this cottage on the internet and it looked idealic, if a little expensive at £85 to £90 per night. When we arrived, we were dissapointed to find the house on the bend of a main road. However, Richard was very welcoming, if a little too much so!

Before being shown to our room, we were informed there was going to be a private dinner party downstairs that night. The house seemed a little small (only two guest bedrooms rented out for B&B) to entertain privately and have B&B guests staying, so that alarmed us.

Our room was far from what we'd expected. No portable TV, no tea/coffee making facilities. Richard did offer to make us a hot drink, but we were asked to go downstairs for it. The bed seemed to be two singles pushed together and the bedding looked dated with old cushions on top of the pillows. There was a tiny shower room which you had to go out of the room into the corridor to reach. We were very dissappointed and not prepared to spend almost a hundred pounds a night, therefore we left immediately.

To spend almost a hundred pounds on a room for the night (including cooked breakfast) is, in our opinion, only worth it if you get what you pay for. This room was certainly worth no more than £30 per night. Even then, I think a kettle and a few tea bags wouldn't be asking too much!

• Liked — The picture on the internet!
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank taylorgrace
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 11 in Brockenhurst
The Master Builder's House Hotel
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Ryehill Cottage? Share your experiences!