“Best...best...best” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Montagu Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
Sydney, Australia
“Best...best...best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

Oh my! What a fabulous place!

From the moment my brother and I pulled up into the car park this place smothered you I calm.

I cannot recommend highly enough. The room was stunning, overlooked the 'main' road (secondary glazed) whisper quiet and passing traffic included a donkey!

The library bar, quiet and intimate and with a mind boggling variety of alcohol...could do perhaps with a wider variety of soft drinks though.

The breakfast was to die for! From warms pastries and toast to start, full English breakfast with locally sourced food to the freshly squeezed juices and a waitress who obviously took great pride In her service.

All other staff I came across seemed happy in their service to their customers and I only wish we could have stayed longer!

The grounds around the hotel were perfectly maintained and a delight to gaze at during breakfast and the bonus of seeing a donkey saunter passed from my bedroom was the icing on the cake. In fact as I was taking some video around the back of the hotel and panned around a very inquizative nose muzzled up to me :)! Super friendly and accepting of a rub on the head.

When we returned from our evening meal at Monty's (very good pub grub) I found my bed had been turned down and the ext days weather forecast laying on mt bed along side the TV remote...the fresher water bottle and glass had also been relocated to the bedside table....so thoughtful.

This place will be etched in my memory for a long time and will be a 'must do' when I return to the uk.

Love it, love it, love it!

Room Tip: I'm sure you would not be disappointed whichever room you stay in but I stayed in "Holly&qu...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Your review, recommendation to others and 5 star rating is superb ….thank you.

We have a very dedicated and loyal team at the hotel that genuinely enjoy their job, which is truly reflected in their high standards of customer care. It is my firm belief that if the Managers and I look after the team they will in turn look after our very valued guests.

It always fills me with pride to boast about our simply stunning English Country Garden and as you have so kindly pointed out ‘perfectly maintained’ ………thanks to our very devoted gardeners.

The donkeys are something which our guests love to see and are very much part and parcel of village life in and around Beaulieu.

I must especially thank you for noticing and mentioning those special touches which we like to offer our guests to help make their stay extra special and which makes us stand out from the crowd!

I will look into the possibility of more soft drinks to be available and I would like to thank you for bringing this to my notice.

I sincerely hope to Welcome you back in the not too distant future where our aim without any doubt will be to make sure your next visit will be as memorable and special as your very first.

Sunil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Great welcome from Chris on reception. We arrived late and have a one year old so it had to be room service , room was of a generous size and food was a mazing , We had a Vacqueras which was impressive. Both restaurant manager and hotel manager were very pleasant and knowledgeable. We hope to re visit and use the restaurant this time.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your 5 star rated review of your recent stay with us.

Whatever time of the day or night our guests arrive they can always be assured of a naturally warm and friendly Welcome by the team. Head of Reception – Chris would like me to pass on his thanks for the special mention of his name in your review.

Whilst children of all ages are very Welcome at Breakfast and lunch service in our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant unfortunately our formal evening dining is for ages 11 years and upwards.

We do however have Monty’s Inn our cosy family pub serving delicious rustic country fare and classic English favourites as an evening alternative. Monty’s has an extensive children’s menu and we can even supply games to keep the children entertained.

I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed dining in the comfort of your bedroom on this occasion.

I look forward to your return as soon as your time permits.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

I cannot fault this hotel. From start to finish, our 2 night weekend break was perfect. The hotel is charming, finished well with an appropriate hint of luxury (I'm still spraying my Gilchrist and Soames pillow mist at home!). It's perfectly clean and the staff are polite, attentive but not intrusive, and efficient.
Breakfast is absolutely spot on - real leaf tea (which had been delivered to our room before breakfast as well), quality sausages and bacon, fresh fruit, delicious breads and pastries. One of the best hotel breakfasts we've ever had. The food both in The Terrace restaurant, and at Monty's pub is also superb.
Cannot recommend this hotel enough. It's a pity it doesn't have it's own pool/spa facilities but there is a sister hotel a few miles away that you can use - we didn't have time to try it out unfortunately. Ah well, there's always next time!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alison B
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,
Your review is so inspirational for the hotel and the team and with a very much appreciated 5 star rating too.
Thank you for your special mention of your Breakfast experience. Head Chef - Matthew Tomkinson puts the same amount of thought and effort into preparing this as he does with a la carte dining. The emphasis without any element of doubt is to deliver a very high standard, high quality breakfast where we are delighted to offer our guests freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juice prior to their cooked to order New Forest Marque Breakfast…..with eggs from our very own chickens!
Whether our guests’ dining preference is Michelin Star or less formal Monty’s Inn our aim is to make both options unique in their own special way. I am pleased that you were able to experience both.
Thank you for your words of recommendation and I look forward to Welcoming you back again when hopefully your time will allow you to make the delightful drive through National New Forest Park to our Thai themed Luxury Spa.

Hook, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Montagu Arms to celebrate my birthday and really enjoyed the whole weekend. The location is superb, with plenty of good walks and cycle ride routes surrounding the hotel. We chose to walk to Buckler's Hard after we arrived, which is a light 45 minute walk along the riverside, where we had lunch before returning to the hotel to check in. Guests of the hotel are entitled to use the gym and pool at the nearby Carey's Manor hotel, and we spent the afternoon there and found both gym and pool to be excellent. The Montagu Arms itself was just as attractive inside as it was outside, and the whole hotel had a very nice ambience indeed. Our room was perhaps a little 70s in feel (complete with pink floral wallpaper!), but the bed was extremely comfortable, the bath and shower superb and the storage space ample. The restaurant was a highlight of our stay and definitely deserves its Michelin star, both for the utterly superb food and wine selection and also the friendliness and professionalism of all the staff. It's a long time since we've enjoyed a meal as much as we did at the Montagu Arms, and breakfast was also really excellent. As I mentioned previously, the hotel is a very welcoming place and full of character, with a very attractive garden, bar and lounge area that are welcoming and enjoyable to spend time in both during the day and in the evening. The friendliness, helpfulness and professionalism of the restaurant staff was echoed by all the other staff we spoke to during our stay. We chose a bed, breakfast and dinner package and thought it was worth every penny - check the website for that offer and others.

Highly recommended and we'll definitely be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Your review of the Montagu Arms Hotel was so delightful to read and I would like to take this opportunity to offer my belated Birthday Wishes to you.
I am very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay in our full of character home from home and to personally thank you for you amazing 5 star rating of us with all the positive comments.
We are indeed so very fortunate to have so many walks right on our doorstep with the well trodden Beaulieu to Bucklers Hard route easily accessed from our garden. A very recommended and worthwhile expedition with amazing glimpses of the Beaulieu River en route.
Our beautiful quintessential English Country Garden certainly does make a tranquil picture to admire from our Restaurant, Conservatory and some of the bedrooms. Our dedicated gardeners not only nuture the plants but feed the wild birds daily creating a truly lovely scene for our guests to sit back and enjoy.
I am delighted to read that together with my team we have all helped to make your birthday weekend special and for sharing your experience with others.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

If you like an Edwardian Country House ambience, and we do, then you will love the Montagu Arms. What was quite special was the exceptional hospitality from every single one of the staff from the moment of check in to the time of check out. Our four foster room was spacious and the breakfast was vey good indeed. Dinner in the Terrace restaurant was also very good. It is nice to be able to upgrade to the full spa facilities at the sister Cary's Manor hotel 6 miles away, and yet stay in this hotel rather than the somewhat corporate and bland spa hotel. It would be fair to say that some refurbishment is ongoing but it is nearly complete. It is sometimes a measure of a place in how they respond to a problem. We had a minor one and the response was excellent, with a goodwill gesture at check out which was unexpected and appreciated.
Any negatives? Whilst dinner was very nice, it was expensive and in particular the wine list particularly so, with only a small selection of wines under £40.
We enjoyed our stay and Beaulieu is lovely for a short break

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your trip advisor review of our charming 17th Century Country House Hotel.
There is no doubt that your very valued feedback of our standards of service by our very dedicated team mirrors the visions and values which we strive to achieve. The Team are trained to deliver a very personal, warm and friendly but unobtrusive service to our guests. How fantastic to hear this is being achieved.
However, I am sorry to hear that you found our wines to be expensive and thank you for the time to air this point to us. Our very knowledgeable Head Sommelier David Kubler has gained a vast wealth of experience having worked at Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck and the very impressive Le Manoir Aux Quat’Saisons and uses his wisdom to get the balance right of the wines we can offer with price.
I am delighted to hear that the above mentioned issue did not mar your dining experience and as with all of our very valued guests’ feedback to assure you that your comment over the wine has been taken on board.
I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back again as soon as your time permits.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel is very difficult for me to rate beause, on the one hand, it is one of the best meals I have ever eaten anywhere! And we eat in many Michelin starred restaurants around the world. In fact, it was faultless in my opinion, totally deserving its Michelin rating. The dining room is lovely too, and the service perfect. We look forward to eating there again very soon. However, we were on a one-night BBD package, which wasn't bad value (considering it included the wonderful dinner) but the room was well below what I would have expected. Although we had booked a four poster room, it was small, dark and a bit dingy and there were damp marks on the ceiling as well as wall paper bubbling up and coming away in one corner. The bathroom was very clean and modern though. The mattress was on the thin side as were the pillows so it was hard to get comfortable. Also, the room faced the road which is surprisingly busy and very noisy from about 5am. I was still awake at that time, as my sleep had been disturbed an hour or so earlier by what sounded like dripping water..possibly coming from a water tank in the attic? It was loud anyway. Quite a few of the other room's doors were open on that day so we had a peek in about half a dozen of them and came to the conclusion that ours, on the very top floor of the building, and up several sets of stairs, made us feel like we were the 'poor relations' hidden away in the attic. Such a shame. The other rooms we saw looked very nice, bright and homely. I can only advise that, when booking the BBD package that it might be wise to book the most upgraded room you can afford (not facing the road) to avoid being consigned to the garrett like we were! I would recommend the restaurant without question...but I would suggest that you might want to do some research on your room if you decide to stay there.

Room Tip: Don't have a room facing the road (noisy)....or the top floor (small). Upgrade as much as possib...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JackieBLondon
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your time to write your review of your recent stay airing both your likes and dislikes. I am especially thrilled to hear that with your wealth of Michelin Star Dining your feedback of our Terrace Restaurant is so highly rated.
We have various different room types and suites which are aimed to suit personal requirements/ budgets so the bedroom sizes/types vary.
However a quick peep at our bedroom gallery online shows that each and every one of our bedrooms (all en suite) have an individual unique charm about them. In fact your particular bedroom which has good feedback from our guests is shown in one of the traveller photos above. I am very sorry that you did not find it to your personal taste and also to read that your stay was somewhat marred because you found your bedroom to be noisy. We have an ongoing annual maintenance programme which is fully underway now at the hotel to refresh and update all the bedrooms which have not yet been updated. We do have double glazing in some of our bedrooms but I take your comments on board and will certainly look into further.
I am always very appreciative of feedback from our guests whether positive or negative as this ensures any shortfalls which come to light are addressed immediately.
I was able to identify your bedroom by your description but unfortunately I have not been able to identify when you stayed with us and so I am not able to contact you.
With this in mind please could I request that at your convenience you either give me a call or alternatively send me an email to sunil@montaguarmshotel.co.uk with your contact details so that I can be in touch with you and this will also give me the opportunity to make a note on our reservations system so that the reservations team are aware of your personal preferences.
I sincerely look forward to hearing from you.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed here midweek for one night and the whole experience was excellent. The hotel is 17th century and has the feeling of a luxurious county house. The decor, soft furnishings and antiques all add to the ambience and on a cold wet day, the log fires are very welcoming. Beaulieu is a very pretty village and when we arrive there were 3 donkeys wandering past the entrance! Our room was beautiful and spacious with a separate sitting room and the bathroom was very well appointed with a huge bath and a separate shower. We had fresh fruit in our room and a box of locally made chocolate.
We had the tasting menu in the Terrace Restaurant and this was exceptional. This was one of the best meals I have ever had and should not be missed. This is a Michelin starred restaurant and it shows. The Head Chef Matthew Tomkinson is to be commended along with the restaurant manager Pierre Mosser who made us so welcome. My husband does not like cheese and was offered a alternative course when I had the cheese course. It is this attention to detail that raises the experience above what you would normally expect to receive.

The breakfast on Thursday morning was also very good, using locally sourced products and eggs from their own chickens.

If you get the opportunity to visit, do not miss it. It is the complete package with a beautiful hotel and the most amazing restaurant!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue G
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Guest,
Such a lovely review and with an amazing 5 star rating…..thank you.
I am always so very appreciative of the time and effort taken by our guests to enter these Trip Advisor Reviews which in the process helps me to ensure our guests have left us happy. Alternatively to know of any shortfalls so that they can be addressed and put right as soon as possible. I am very pleased that the donkeys were around to meet and greet you upon your arrival! Sights such as these are priceless and very much a part and parcel staying at the hotel and of village life here. With the many different room types we have available I am delighted to hear that you were very happy with your particular bedroom.
Matthew and Pierre would both like to extend their personal thanks to you for your superb feedback of your whole dining experience in our Michelin Star Restaurant.
Our seven course surprise tasting menu can be enjoyed with or without matching wines and is something truly not to be missed. Matthew personally puts in immense thought and effort when creating all his menus taking full advantage of the abundance of high quality, seasonal local produce available on our doorstep. As well as keeping our own chickens our kitchen garden produces a variety of seasonal vegetables and herbs, which are picked and used daily.
I sincerely hope you will both be able to return in the not too distant future and maybe even stay a little longer. There really is so much to see and do if your time permits or to simply enjoy the tranquillity of this beautiful area.
Sunil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Lime Wood Hotel
Lime Wood Hotel
#2 of 8 in Lyndhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,202 reviews

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!