Montagu Arms Hotel
$232
  • Pool
Embers Beaulieu(Beaulieu)
1,308 results
All reviewsterrace restaurantmichelin startasting menunew forestsister hotelfour posterenglish hoteljunior suitemotor museumafternoon teajourney homegardens are beautifuloverlooking the gardencharming hotelrestaurant managerlittle touchescream tea
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We visited with our friends as a part of one of their 60th birthday celebrations. Really superb meals, all four us had something different as a part of the 3 course special menu. All four meals were excellent served by lots of very attentive staff. Sometimes in restaurants like this the meals are well presented but tiny. The Montague Arms showed great presentation but with reasonable portions.

The one negative that stopped me from giving a top rating was the ambiance. It was, as we expected very traditional in terms of decor but it was also a bit soulless. A little like having dinner in the library. Overall great food, excellent service it just need a bit of a warmer atmosphere.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan D
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We attended a friends weddings- they had booked out the whole hotel. We decided to stay at the last minute and therefore had the last room - so our expectations were managed - we were told in advance it has 'no view'. In fact it does but over a small courtyard that is used by staff. This was evident from the noise (and smells) of clearing up that went on til 0230 and started again at 0630 with the bottle skips being emptied !! All other aspects of our stay - food and service etc were great just avoid this room.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rick G
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I took my Mum here for afternoon tea last week.I had spoken to the hotel twice on the phone prior to my visit as I was concerned about disabled access for her because she needs to use a walker and is also very breathless on exertion.There is ample parking behind the hotel,but not suitable for wheelchairs or walkers and difficult for people with sticks.They told me that disabled access is from the front of the building where there are just two disabled parking spaces allocated,but that if they were full,then someone from the hotel would park the car for us.Upon arrival the spaces were not vacant,but there was a wedding party in progress which we had known about in advance.One car was not displaying a blue badge-the other was.I went inside to enquire about parking but the staff on duty just said to park by the fence--no offer to park it for us after all!--this was not possible as the wedding car was there.However,suddenly some people returned to the car with the blue badge and it turned out that they were tourists to Beaulieu and nothing at all to do with the hotel,so we got that space! All`s well that ends well we thought,but we were quite disappointed to find that the area used for afternoon tea,although facing a very pretty garden,is on two seater rattan furniture sofas and two low,round tables pushed together.There were three of us and we were all pretty cramped and uncomfortable and had to lean over each other to reach the food and tea and balance the plates on our laps and the food kept slipping off as did the napkins and trying to negotiate a knife to spread the cream and jam on the scones was hilarious!This was extremely awkward for all of us,but especially for my 85 year old Mum!The food was delicious and none of us could fault that.The second pot of tea was unbearably weak and needed to be changed,but this was done satisfactorily.However, it would have been so much more enjoyable and comfortable if we had all been seated at proper tables as in many other hotels which offer afternoon tea.We were also plagued by wasps!---not the hotel`s fault that there are so many about right now,but it added to the discomfort.Finally upon paying the bill and being asked by a gentleman (head waiter?-I am not sure) if everything was ok,I did say that we had not been comfortable and he seemed terribly affronted that I should have the audacity to mention anything negative,---I thought of it merely as polite feedback!--saying that that was where they always served the afternoon teas.His response was very Basil Fawltyesque!!!! This was not my first visit there by any means as I am a local and have previously been 100% delighted with the service and the ambience,but I am in no particular hurry to revisit!

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cleo11153
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and it was lovely. We had the taster menu for dinner and the breakfast was all freshly cooked. The breads are very yummy. The room was quite little but the whole stay felt very luxurious. They even gave us apples and water for our journey home. Not cheap but well worth it for a special occasion.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed for one night on a dinner/bed breakfast package. In terms of value for money its great if you are careful re room given and choice. The room first allocated was tiny and immediately adjacent to air con units/ventilation units which were noisy and smelly. We were moved upon request with polite ease although if paying full rate beware of room 15 which we were allocated. It is directly overlooking the main road through the village and is very noisy from early in the morning. On the plus side the restaurant food is first class, the staff are friendly professional and attentive. All in all a very good hotel although beginning to look a little tired however would thoroughly recommend based on price paid.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the road.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends