Montagu Arms Hotel
  • Restaurant
Lime Wood Hotel(Lyndhurst)
Cottage Lodge Hotel(Brockenhurst)
1,287 results
All reviewsterrace restaurantmichelin startasting menunew forestsister hotelfour posterenglish hoteljunior suitemotor museumjourney homeafternoon teagardens are beautifuloverlooking the gardenrestaurant managerlovely hotellittle touchescream tea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Booked a 4 poster suite at this hotel last weekend for my partner and I, Valentines weekend. Whilst the location and restaurant cannot be faulted, I felt that some touches around the room and general reception duties left something to be desired.

I received a phone call a week before my booking about the timing for dinner. Upon calling back it became apparent that my booking in my name could not be found, and was in fact in the name of my partner. Not a huge problem but I asked for this to be changed as it was a surprise present from me so should be in my name, as the original booking confirmation emailed to me was. Upon arrival the same issue occurred, so this action had not been taken, and this continued throughout our stay, rather annoying.

Whilst at the hotel we were offered complimentary tea and coffee delivered to our room on the Sunday morning, together with a complimentary newspaper. Both nice little touches so we ordered these and also completed a slip in our room to the same effect and hung this on our door when going to bed on Saturday evening. Neither of these items turned up as promised and had to be phoned for later on the Sunday morning, another nice touch totally spoilt and leaving somewhat of a sour taste.

Overall, the room was nice, a little tired in places, couple of stains on the upholstery and perhaps not worth the price, although I am sure that this was inflated a little due to the excellent onsite restaurant. Just a shame that the issues mentioned above were where the hotel fell short, and coloured what should have been the perfect break. I guess that it is these little touches which mark the difference between 3 and 4 star, but considering this is a 4 star hotel are not what I expected to encounter. Also used the Spa at the 'Sister' hotel, Careys Manor, this was ok but nothing special and not really worth the trip in my opinion.

Room Tip: There is no lift, and lots of stairs to some of the rooms. Just be aware if stairs are not your thing!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I feel the need every now and then to escape for a short break, and feel pampered. A few years ago we discovered the Montagu Arms Hotel and this was our third short visit. We were upgraded to a terrific room, nothing was too much trouble for the staff and dinner in the Terrace Restaurant was wonderful. We really enjoyed the highly professional but relaxed and attentive approach of the Restaurant manager Pierre - you can see that he learnt a lot from his previous job at the Waterside. We were only there for 24 hours but we will be going again without doubt. Jonny and Alice

Room Tip: Go out of season, and very often you will be able to get an upgraded room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan W
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was my Wife's thrid visit to the Monatgu Arms Hotel and was certainly the best to date. The last time we stayed on a gourment break and the only way we could have 3 courses for dinner was to pay a supplement - this was refunded after I complained but I am very glad to see this practice has ceased.
The room was facing the inner courtyard so was nice and quiet and was very well furnished and serviced daily to an excellent standard. The daily weather report cards were a nice touch as was the bottle of champagne on arrival.
The food in both the restaurant and Monty's Brasserie was of a very high standard and the service was attentive yet friendly.
All in all it is a lovely hotel in a wonderful setting with lots to see and do locally.We will certainly visit again. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the courtyard as the ones facing the road can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stopped off for a late light lunch having visited Beaulieu Museum nearby. Staff were very welcoming and invited us in to the cosy lounge. We had tea, accompanied by homemade biscuits, sandwiches and a portion of hand-made chips - all were delicious! Service was warm and professional and we would like to return to stay and dine in the Michelin starred restaurant soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My family and I have been to The Montagu Arms Hotel for the Boxing Day lunch for the last two years. My sister initially recommended it and we were not disappointed. The food was absolutely delicious. The staff were excellent and not overbearing and we really liked the space between the tables. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful with a genuine smile. We will definitely be going again this year and possibly booking the Christmas Day lunch too. We have also been for the 3 course Sunday lunch which was also excellent. We highly recommend eating there if you live (as we do) or are visiting the area. Karen and Malc Quinn

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family