“fine, romantic dining in relaxed english cottage hotel”
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Montagu Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Beaulieu
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Montagu Arms is one of the best places to enjoy fine dining in a relaxed setting; many products from the nearby farm; honest healthy and lovely prepared food. We stayed here many times and the service is always perfect. Wake up tea in the room as a little extra.
There's nice walks in the area, not too much extra's in the hotel, which is fine with a great lounge for reading and enclosed garden to enjoy the outside.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner suite at the back side the first floor- or if that has been booked a room at the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay at the Montagu Arms and that you were able to read and relax in our cosy Magnolia Lounge with its’ roaring log fire!

It is always very inspiring to know that our guests return again and again to stay with us and experience our very high standards of food, service and the 4* quality which we strive to achieve from all aspects and in every area.

Thank you for mentioning the beautiful ever changing picture of our English Country Garden which looks truly amazing whatever the ever season and whether rain or shine!

Head Chef Matthew Tomkinson always likes to take full advantage of the abundance of quality seasonal local produce found in and around the New Forest. Together with the use of ingredients which include vegetables and herbs from the hotel’s very own kitchen garden. Thus creating a carefully prepared well balanced menu.

We are indeed very fortunate to have so many walks not only in the immediate area but also right on our doorstep. I hope you had time to enjoy the walk from the hotel to Buckler’s Hard which is a very worthwhile trip with glimpses of the Beaulieu River enroute!

Thank you so much for mentioning the relaxed setting of the hotel’s restaurant. We are very proud to boast that Our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant certainly is fine dining at its’ very best!

Thank you for noticing those extra special touches which we like to offer our guests to make their stay special, like your early morning tea which is a great way to start the day in Beaulieu in the very heart of the New Forest.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to review the Montagu Arms Hotel and I look forward to Welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very nice hotel with extremely helpful and attentive staff.

We had the Taster Menu in the Terrace restaurant, with wine pairing. The Sommelier was excellent - very charismatic, offering us some amazing wines. The meal quality was very good, though the pacing was a bit quick, leaving us struggling to keep up. 7 courses with wine is a bit much.

The hotel itself is very nice, and the staff are amazing. We were bumped-up to a 4-post suite. The bed was very cozy, though the room was a bit too warm - i'd recommend opening a window before going to sleep. Beaulieu is a lovely little village for a short stay.

We had the "Winter Warmer" package, including arrival-drinks, dinner, one night's accommodation and afternoon tea. This was great value and buying them seperately would have been a bit steep. Overall it was a lovely trip - my girlfriend thought it was amazing and agreed to marry me!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

My sincere thanks to you for taking the time to write your review, this really is very much appreciated and I would like to offer my Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage.

It was such a delight to hear that the Montagu Arms Hotel provided the perfect romantic setting for you both on this special occasion.

I would like to thank you for mentioning our staff who are trained to deliver a very personal service to our guests and for the special mention of the Sommelier.

All your very kind comments have been passed onto everyone concerned as feedback such as yours is very rewarding and motivating for the teams.

However I am very sorry to hear that you felt the restaurant service you received was maybe a little too swift for your liking. Since reading your review I have discussed this point which you have raised with my Restaurant Manager, who in turn has spoken to the team to establish exactly why the service did not operate with its usual careful and precise timing. I am pleased that you enjoyed experiencing our Taster Menu.

Subject to availability we always like to offer complimentary upgrades for our guests and
I am very pleased to hear that we were able to do this for you, although I am sorry to read that you found your bedroom slightly on the warm side during your stay. I can assure you this is now being looked into and rectified

Our Special Offers such as the “Winter Warmer” Package can always be found on our Website and like all of our Special Offers these always prove to be very popular/excellent value for money.

Finally I would just like to mention that The Montagu Arms Hotel makes a perfect venue for your “Special day” and if you would like arrange a wedding show round please contact Clara Earp our specially dedicated Wedding Coordinator on 01590 612324 who will be only too pleased to spend some time with you both.

Once again your review is very much appreciated…a big thank you!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We spent a night at the hotel in mid November and booked a breakfast, dinner and room package. We arrived for afternoon tea I'm gluten free and got carrot cake ( delicious) and chocolate cake (dry). On arrival to our room we noticed the window was open and the room was hot, we thought it would cool down.
We had the tasting menu 6 course meal which was nice, one course was cheese which seemed strange for a tasting menu (we''ve eaten extensively in high end restaurants). We returned back to our room which was sweltering hot, to be honest we hardly slept because of the heat. In the morning we noticed that all the rooms along the corridor had their windows open. We went for a walk and returned to the restaurant for breakfast, again on the hot side and no windows open.

At checkout we said the room was too hot and were told that other peiple bad commented on that.weWe were in room 27, he said that room 6 was hot too.

Costwise I think it is overpriced even without the heat problem. Beaulieu and the spa at Carey's manor are good.

On checkout the receptionist said some other guests had complained about the heat and said we could have turned radiator down. We said there wasn't one in the room and then another member of staff said the room backs onto the fire which is lit in reception from 8am to 12am.

Room Tip: Avoid room 27 Apparently avoid room 6
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, General Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay here at the Montagu Arms Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the quaint village of Beaulieu and that you were able to indulge in the inclusive Spa facilities located at our sister hotel Carey's Manor in Brockenhurst.

However I am very sorry to read that your whole experience of staying with us was somewhat marred because you found your bedroom far too hot on this occasion.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the overall temperature of the hotel. It would appear that the timer could have tripped out as we have the heating set to come on from 6am until 10am and again at 4pm until 10pm.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the disappointment the above mentioned will has caused you.

As discussed at checkout we have noted that with any future bookings we will not allocate you either room 27 or room 6.

Also I am very sorry to read that you found us overpriced. We offer many various room types at the hotel from standard to deluxe suites and Special Offers can always be found on our Website. We strive to provide 4* quality from all aspects and in every way whilst adding value for money and appealing to vast cross section of people and budgets.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and help me to continually improve what we do, ensuring any shortfalls are always addressed as soon as possible.
I hope to have the pleasure of Welcoming you back to the Montagu Arms Hotel.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Have shortly returned from a 2 night stay at the Montagu Arms with my wife to celebrate her early 60th birthday this was due to our son getting married in December a couple of days before her birthday.The hotel is situated on the Beaulieu Estate and when we arrived on the Sunday afternoon with the beautiful weather it looked a stunning setting with the lake and estuary nearby.The donkey's and ponies wandering along the road just ignored the traffic so you just had to let them go their way.After parking the car in the back car park where we were lucky to be able to find a space in a empty garage we made our way to reception we booked in and were happy to be told that we had been up graded to a superior room,this overlooked the back garden room 23, Maple.This was a nice suprise and the room was a nice size with a King size bed that was very comftable.The garden looked lovely even in autumn and there were plenty of birds making the most of the sunny weather.The hotel staff were very helpful from helping to get the luggage from the car to the room and finding out what dining arrangements you would like,at all times they were friendly and helpful and made our stay that bit special.We decided that we would dine in the Terrace Restaurant on Sunday evening where we found the food and service excellent and had a very enjoyable evening and finished that off with a coffee and liquior in the lobby bar.The breakfast next morning was very good,with plenty to choose from. We sat by the window in the terrace restaurant looking out to the garden,alas the weather not so nice now but still a nice setting.After a day driving round the villages and towns it was back to the hotel for the evening.We had booked dinner at Monty's earlier in the week when the hotel phoned to ask if we would like to book any meals during our stay.This was a nice touch cannot remember any hotel we had booked before doing that.The meal at Monty's was great we had a drink in the bar before the meal and sat by the log fire with its warmth and smell made the place feel very welcoming.We were then taken to our table by a large bay window and were made to feel special the whole evening the service there was also first class.We left the next morning after having another good breakfast, we really did enjoy our stay and for people looking for that special place to go to celebrate something this is a good hotel to consider .

Room Tip: Room 23 is above the restaurant a superior room with a lovely view of the back garden very spacious...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for this fantastic review and for choosing the Montagu Arms Hotel for your wife’s belated birthday celebration.

I am absolutely delighted to read your delightful review and how much you enjoyed the hotel and it’s amazing location. The live entertainment provided by the donkey’s and ponies of Beaulieu is a sight our guests always love to see and is very much part and parcel of staying with us!

I am very pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the view of our Beautiful English Country Garden from the comfort of your bedroom.

All our staff our trained to deliver a very personal service to our guests and every effort is made to achieve this goal.

Thank you for noticing and mentioning those extra special touches which we like to offer our guests to make their stay a memorable one and I have without out passed your kind comments onto all concerned.

Both our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant and Monty’s Inn our 1 Rosette Restaurant serves high quality food offering a well balanced menu to our guests.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review which mirrors the visions and values which we strive to achieve.

I really look forward to Welcoming you back to the Montagu Arms Hotel very soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

In 2007 we were married and held our wedding reception at the Montagu Arms Hotel and have been back to stay several times since, most recently in October 2012. In 2011 we had a family weekend at the hotel with my children and grandchildren. We have also eaten in the Terrace Restaurant, Monty's Restaurant and the Oakwood Room on a number of occassions, both as residents and non-residents.

The hotel and gardens are maintained to a high standard. We have stayed in a variety of rooms, from a basic room to a suite, and found them all to be very comfortable and have never had a problem with any of the rooms. The quality of the food in the restaurants has always been excellent.

When we were married and when we stayed with my children and grandchildren the hotel staff were very helpful in ensuring that everyone had everything they needed. Part of the attraction of the hotel for us is that the friendly staff, whilst being very attentive, manage to do so without being obtrusive. Everything seems to happen at the right time but without you really noticing. In all the times we've stayed, I can only recall one fairly minor problem which was resolved very quickly.

The small village of Beaulieu has plenty of interest and there are a couple of interesting walks to Bucklers Hard and East Boldre. There are also several local attractions, towns and villages within easy driving distance.

This is by far our favourite hotel and we will continue to return as often as possible.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

It is always such a real pleasure and very motivating for the team to read reviews such as yours.

We are indeed extremely fortunate with our picturesque village location in the New Forest National Park with its many walks on our doorstep and where ponies and cattle roam freely right past our front door!

I am delighted to hear that since your Wedding celebrations you have returned to the Montagu Arms again and again, with each visit being as memorable and special as the first, whether as a staying guest or as non resident.

All our staff our trained to deliver a very personal unobtrusive high standard of service to our guests and I am pleased to hear that your expectations of this service has been consistently met at all times.

I will of course pass your kind comments on to all departments including Head Chef Matthew Tomkinson.

Thank you for your review and I look forward to Welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I spent three nights at the Montagu Arms Hotel following the recent death of my mother. It was just what we needed for relaxation and recuperation. We dined for two nights in The Terrace restaurant where the food was excellent and fully deserved it's Michelin Star. We also dined in Monty's where we were served very good brasserie style food. The service throughout the visit was first class.
The complimentary bottle of Laurent Perrier champagne in the room was a very welcome and lovely touch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on the Montagu Arms Hotel and please accept my sincere sympathy thoughts for the recent loss of your mother.
I am very pleased that the hotel was the perfect venue for you and your husband to get away from it all and totally relax at this terribly sad time.
I am absolutely delighted to read your fantastic feedback about how much you enjoyed your Michelin Star Dining in our Terrace Restaurant. I have passed your comments onto Head Chef Matthew Tomkinson and Restaurant Manager David Kubler who will relay your kind comments to their respective teams.
Equally I have passed onto Monty’s Manager, Anthony David your kind comments regarding your enjoyable dining experience in Monty’s Inn our 1 Rosette Restaurant.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Laurent Perrier Champagne.
I hope to have the pleasure of Welcoming you back to the Montagu Arms Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed the Montagu Arms Hotel last night and had the perfect couple of days. We booked a package which gave us access to Beaulieu Motor Museum (Bond in Motion), house and gardens, a meal in the fantastic Michelin Star Restaurant an overnight stay and breakfast the following day. Oh yes, and a trip to the nearby Spa which was also included ! The staff were very friendly and attentive. The room (we upgraded to a superior room) was perfect, spacious, over looking the back garden and the bed was really comfortable. I cannot comment highly enough on the quality of the food in the restaurant, the whole experience from start to finish was exceptional, and the staff helped make this possible. We will certainly be coming back again. Thank you for making our stay unforgettable.

Room Tip: Superior room facing the back garden was lovely and quiet.
1  Thank PWD40

My sincere thanks to you for taking the time to write this amazing review, it really is very much appreciated. Our Bond in Motion Activity Break is certainly proving to be extremely popular with our guests and a great opportunity to visit and enjoy Palace House and Gardens, Beaulieu Abbey and the World of Top Gear, plus many other attractions, all of which our right on our doorstep!

I hope you had the opportunity to ask our talented bartender to prepare you a
Montagu Arms/James Bond Vodka Martini Cocktail ("shaken not stirred of course”)
during your stay!

I am also delighted to hear that you were able to indulge in our inclusive Spa facilities located at our sister hotel and to experience Michelin Star Dining at its very best in our Terrace Restaurant.

Head Chef Matthew Tomkinson puts lots of thought and effort into creating a well balanced menu, taking full advantage of the abundance of quality seasonal local produce found in and around the New Forest. Together with the use of ingredients which include vegetables and herbs from the hotel’s kitchen garden.

I am very pleased to hear that on this occasion we were able to do exactly this.

I have with out any doubt passed your very kind comments on to all concerned.

Thank you very much once again for your fantastic review and I really look forward to Welcoming you both back again very soon for another unforgettable stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#7 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!