“Pleasant But Not Perfect”
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Montagu Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Beaulieu
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a four poster room at he Montagu Arms for two nights in August to celebrate our thirtieth wedding anniversary. On arrival at the hotel, we were pleased to find that we could park our car in an open fronted garage.

Our room was nicely decorated and overlooked a fairly quiet street to the side of the hotel. The room was very hot, partly due to the towel rail in the bathroom being on constantly and we could not find any way of switching it off. (We were later advised that the switch was in a cupboard in the hallway outside the room). On the first morning we were woken at 5 am by the refuse collection. The refuse truck parked underneath our window and continued to crush glass and other waste for a considerable time. This was not how I had hoped to start the day of my wedding anniversary! The hotel was nor full and I feel that we could have been offered a different room. Do not book room 28 for a Monday night if you want to leave the window open.

The service at the hotel is not as good as it should be. We heard non residents complaining that they had been waiting for thirty minutes for a cup of tea. On our first evening at the hotel, we ate at Monty's Bistro and again customers were complaining of the delays and the wrong food being brought to the table. We had to wait a lttle longer than we would have liked but the food was good.

At breakfast the following morning,we were shown to our table and then the waiter forgot to take our order. The breakfast itelf is acceptable but certainly not the best I have had.

On our second evening at the hotel we ate at The Terrace Restaurant. The food was excellent and I can recommend the tater menu.

My overall view of this hotel is that it is pleasant place to stay but, although the staff appear to be friendly and helpful, in a lot of cases this is just lip service. A final example of this is, when as returned home, I found that I had lost a gold bracelet. I telephoned the hotel reception to ask if it had been found and was premised a call back as the usual receptionist was away from the desk for a few minutes. I had to telephone the hotel again as,three days later, I had heard nothing from them.

I will not be rushing to go back to the Montagu Arms.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of hotel overlooking the garden.
6  Thank Kady59
There are newer reviews for Montagu Arms Hotel

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Here for a wedding reception. This is a beautiful hotel, in a lovely picture box village in the New Forest. Room and staff fabulous, we couldn't fault a thing really. Good value too. Just a shame that we weren't really shown the chef's full ability due to the set meal, but I think we will go back and try the a-la-carte restaurant. This hotel would be good for a stay at any time of the year. Tip - ask for 2 eggs/bacon/sausages at breakfast otherwise you only get the bare minimum.

Room Tip: The ones at the front might be a little road noisy in Summer.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelmak
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in August for one night and have to say its a lovely hotel in the quaint village of Beaulieu. We stayed in a deluxe suite called the Walnut suite which overlooked the main road and it had a beautiful lounge next to the bedroom. The hotel has 2 restuarants one called Montys and the other one the Terrace Restaurant which is has a michellin star and has a lovely dining room. The staff are very friendly and made our stay very special.

2  Thank r_petite34
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My partner booked us a surprise weekend away at the Montagu Arms Hotel for my Birthday. What a place!! The staff are really friendly, to the point of even leaving me a Birthday Card in our room. The rooms are spacious, well equipped and comfortable as well as being individually and tastefully decorated. This is a typical British Countryside Hotel, so all the fixtures and fittings exude "Countryness".

The gardens are amazing and are kept in pristine condition. The food!!!! To die for!!!! The hotel greatly benefits from having a Michelin Star Chef, the food in the main restaurant is superb! The breakfast, whilst still amazing, lacked a certain attention that the evening food had.

If I had to be critical of one other thing, it would be that the wifi wouldn't work in our room, so it made planning our stay slightly more difficult.

Overall, a fantastic weekend! Thanks to everyone at the Montagu for helping to give me a Birthday I'll remember forever!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mattchew26
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have reviewed the Montague Arms before following a previous visit earlier in the year; I’m pleased to report that standards have been maintained.

Lunch today was excellent, served in the sun on the terrace in the relaxing well-tended quintessentially English gardens. Willing attentive staff – nothing too much trouble and our needs were anticipated – the receptionist, waiters and porters were full of local knowledge.

1  Thank CheekieChappyDW
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Wow - we stayed at The Montagu Arms Hotel and really felt that we had had a break. There's a natural, intimate, unmanufactured charm and peacefullness in the gardens which, especially on a balmy evening like we had, really does wonders for stress levels. The service was exceptional - professional and friendly and the room was lovely. The evening meal was outstanding and catered for our specific needs - a dairy allergy. To top it all the area is gorgeous - a very short walk from the Motor Museum and a lovely walk to Buckler's Hard along forest tracks.

2  Thank TeresaDadey
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have stayed in the new forest many times and discovered this hotel on our very first trip. We had only ever visited Monty's Inn however (as this was all we could afford at the time!) and had always wanted to come back and stay, and experience the michelin star restaurant. We finally managed this last week, and the hotel did not dissapoint. The whole place is stunning, the gardens and the decor both equally beautiful. Our bags were of course carried to our room, which was huge and gorgeous. It was perfectly clean and the bed was the most comfotable ive ever slept in... if it had fitted in my suitcase I may well have taken it home with me!

Then came dinner- this was a wonderful experience all round. All the staff are so attentive and friendly, and the food was sublime to say the least.

The only small dissapointment was breakfast, as we were not looked after as well and it was not quite up to scratch. We felt that because the rest of the experience had been so spectacular, the soggy black pudding and dry bacon was a bit of a let down.

All in all though a truly brilliant hotel, I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: We had a four poster room, not suite, and it was large enough to swing a cow, forget the cat!
1  Thank Helen R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Rhinefield House Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!