“Quirky Luxury? Yes!!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
hereford
“Quirky Luxury? Yes!!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Can't understand negative reviews of this Hotel - we had a Red Letter Day voucher and arrived quite early in the day to pick up our Beaulieu tickets and were greeted by Holly who was charming and most helpful. We came back to the hotel later on to check in and were given a room in the annexe (No. 18) which was lovely with a huge bathroom and power shower. There was a bottle of Prosecco chilling, complimentary local Vodka/2 waters, 2 lots of biscuits and really nice coffee for cafetiere and instant plus good choice of tea. Toiletries were really nice and good quality. Bed was huge and extremely comfortable with good quality Egyptian Cotton. We had a couple of drinks in the Bar and my husband was especially pleased that the beer was (a) a very reasonable price and (b) very well kept! We ate in the Restaurant and the food was excellent. When we have gone to other hotels on a "special deal" we have been offered a different (cheaper) menu than the standard Menu but in this case we had three courses and were able to choose anything we wanted which I thought was a really nice touch. The staff throughout the Hotel I found to be helpful, charming and nothing was too much trouble. We will be going back there again next year and so there is no higher praise than that in my book!

9 Thank madruss
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thanks for writing such a positive review about your stay. Our team truly want to make our guests’ stays memorable and it sounds like we did that for you. Many thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
UK
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I would not in any stretch of the imagination use the word "luxury" for any part of this hotel. Our room (22) in the main house was a good size, the bathroom is minute, no dressing gowns for £200 a night? Very mean uninteresting goodies in the bathroom - bed a disgrace - a mattress plonked on top of hardboard and very very creeky and noisy - the lighting is so dark it was impossible to read anywhere in the room. The plumbing around the hotel is very noisy - strange noises at midnight one night. The food was very mediocre. The only good things were the position - it is very pretty and very quiet in the main hotel, and all the staff were delightful and very friendly - so no I couldn't possibly recommend this hotel to our age group (60 - 70) but I am sure that younger people would find it fine even for that price.

1 Thank Charlotte B
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that you disliked the room you stayed in. If we have other rooms available we will always be pleased to offer an alternative – and we will happily offer a higher wattage bulb for bedside lights if required. I am glad that you did find our staff looked after you well.
Helston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had so looked forward to visiting this beautiful part of the country. When we arrived the setting was perfect. We were given room 14 in the annex block, what a disappointment. The room was dreary, you couldn't look out of the window because there was a fixed net curtain behind which the double glazing was blown. In the bathroom the wash basin had been cracked for some time and the toilet seat was chipped. Not at all what you would expect in such an hotel.
The dining room, food and staff could not be faulted. I would recommend to eat but certainly not to stay.

Room Tip: Inspect it first
2 Thank Heather G
Thanks for the review. I’m sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your room. We do explain on our website that the Henry Adams wing doesn’t share the views of the river - to hopefully pre-empt any guest disappointment. With regards to the maintenance, we have since replaced the sink and are looking at replacing the windows, but as you can imagine this is unfortunately quite a lengthy process.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had some Red Letter Day vouchers to use up and decided that we would take a chance on the Master Builder's. I say 'take a chance' because we had read through comments on Tripadvisor and had some concerns.
We need not have worried!!
Upon arrival, the friendly receptionist quickly checked us in and showed us to our room (offering to carry our bags).
The room (Romulus) was in the main building and was clean, tastefully decorated, with a comfortable bed (Egyptian cotton). The spacious bathroom had a power shower. Floorboards were a bit squeaky, but to be expected in such a fine building. Unlike some others, we were not disturbed by noise from other rooms, and slept like logs!
We'd booked a table for our evening meal and found the restaurant to be most welcoming, tables well spaced, and staff friendly and efficient. The food was excellent quality and well presented.
Breakfast was similar experience. Lots of choice of juices, fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurt etc.(help yourself). Fresh toast served as and when required. The full English was delicious and served piping hot. The only comment here was that it looked a bit sparse i.e. one egg, one rasher, one half tomato, one slice of black pudding, one sausage. It was enough for me, but maybe not for others. It would be nice if asked 'one egg or two?' and adding another rasher.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and would certainly recommend Master Builder's to others.

12 Thank terry99
Thanks for writing a review and for all the positive feedback, the team will be delighted we exceeded your expectations and we hope to welcome you back.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'd say this hotel is quirky it is ideally located for the New Forrest and the Beaulieu Motor Museum (purpose of our visit). We didn't eat in the restaurant preferring the bar, with its log fire and good food. My grumble would be paying for a chic room that didn't have a shower (Fervent), no mention of this on their website, when booking we were not advised it didn't have a shower and was in the attic - pretty shabby chic not to advise in this day and age. I complained to receptionist who agreed, I should have been advised. Instead of saying pay for a classic room price £140 they still charged full price £185!! for a room with no shower. Don't make our mistake.

1 Thank MrsGreig
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for posting a review. Your review almost reads like a 5 star one and I am glad to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Due to the listed building we do have two bedrooms that only have baths rather than showers. I feel it certainly does add to the feel and quirkiness of these particular rooms however appreciate it being personal preference. I will certainly make a note of it and see whether we can add these notes onto our website. We look forward to seeing you again at some point in the future.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

It was my husband's birthday and I had some Red Letter Day vouchers so booked before looking at Tripadvisor (not my usual course of action). I booked one night but then a week later we realised we could do two so my husband contacted the hotel by email and 24 hours later he received a response saying the extra night would cost £200. Not defeated I went back on Red Letter Days as I had another voucher and got the additional night for £69. I contacted the hotel by email with my two booking references to let them know we would like the same room both nights and having then looked at Tripadvisor asked that it wasn't a loft room. A very nice response but again 24 hours later said that was fine.

By now I'd been through Tripadvisor and looking at some of the reviews I started to worry!

We arrived at about 16.30 and the reception desk was deserted so I wandered the hotel trying to find someone, after 5 minutes without luck I went back to the reception desk and started to knock on the desk and then someone came out from the back. The initial greeting wasn't great and even later that evening the receptionist was less than warm and didn't even raise her head when we were going through to the restaurant (I would have expected at least a Good Evening). For the rest of our stay though the reception staff were very good although I do think they looked bored on occasions!

So to our room, in the wing. As we walked through the awful corridor I experienced a feeling of real dread! I'm not sure where they got the idea to paint everything a gloss brown but it gave the wing a cheap nasty feel, it was very much like student accommodation, although having said that my children's university hallways were much lighter and spacious. On entering the room the feeling of dread disappeared and I thought this isn't so bad. The room was big enough and was immaculately clean. The decor was OK although I'd have got rid of the awful wardrobe! The linens were wonderful and the bed really comfortable. The walls are thin but thankfully we were only disturbed once and that wasn't during the night. There was tea and coffee and free wi-fi.

We decided on dinner in the restaurant that night and again pleasantly suprised by the food but even more by the excellent service. Food was hot, well cooked, tasted fresh and was brought to the table by attentive pleasant staff and at exactly the right intervals so there was no long waits between courses.

Breakfast was a real treat, again excellent staff and really nice food.

On reflection I'd say this is a nice hotel, look for the deals because it's not really worth the amounts they are asking per night for the wing and enjoy - it really is in a lovely location.

4 Thank Janeb
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. It is disappointing to read that you had expected a bad experience with us and you based your review on that initial perspective. I can assure you that my team always strive to offer guests a positive experience when staying with us.
Lancing, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Firstly, the location (it's actually at Bucklers Hard) is to die for, surrounded by lush, green countryside, being divebombed by swallows or swifts (i'm not exactly sure) with the Beaulieu river in the background. I can't really understand the negative reviews, yes, it could do with some money spending on it, but that could be said of a lot of hotels.

The food was reasonably priced, and excellent quality and where possible locally sourced. The bar was reasonably priced, with a fair selection of ales and lagers, the restaurant was a little expensive for wine, but hey, you got what you paid for. The service in the restaurant was attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The eggs benedict for breakfast is an absolute must!

The reception staff were warm and welcoming. We stayed in a luxury room which was stunning, with a huge four poster (worth the extra money). The room was called 'Victorious', which is how we felt staying here. The view from our window was straight across the Beaulieu river with dozens of yachts bobbing about. The bed was sooo comfortable, it's a shame it wouldn't fit in my suitcase. Shower was excellent and nearly blew you out of the room, once I realised you had to switch the pump on!

To summarise, this is a quirky, old, (1700's), gorgeous hotel, it's not the Grand in Brighton, but then you're not paying grand prices. Go see for yourselves and take it for what it is. Ignore the haters....give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a luxury room in the main building. You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SunHunter_1
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Many thanks for posting such a great review. It is refreshing and rewarding for the entire team to hear such positive feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back to Buckler’s Hard.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Montagu Arms Hotel
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to The Master Builder's House Hotel? Share your experiences!