“Recommended”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had some Red Letter Day vouchers to use up and decided that we would take a chance on the Master Builder's. I say 'take a chance' because we had read through comments on Tripadvisor and had some concerns.
We need not have worried!!
Upon arrival, the friendly receptionist quickly checked us in and showed us to our room (offering to carry our bags).
The room (Romulus) was in the main building and was clean, tastefully decorated, with a comfortable bed (Egyptian cotton). The spacious bathroom had a power shower. Floorboards were a bit squeaky, but to be expected in such a fine building. Unlike some others, we were not disturbed by noise from other rooms, and slept like logs!
We'd booked a table for our evening meal and found the restaurant to be most welcoming, tables well spaced, and staff friendly and efficient. The food was excellent quality and well presented.
Breakfast was similar experience. Lots of choice of juices, fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurt etc.(help yourself). Fresh toast served as and when required. The full English was delicious and served piping hot. The only comment here was that it looked a bit sparse i.e. one egg, one rasher, one half tomato, one slice of black pudding, one sausage. It was enough for me, but maybe not for others. It would be nice if asked 'one egg or two?' and adding another rasher.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and would certainly recommend Master Builder's to others.

12 Thank terry99
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thanks for writing a review and for all the positive feedback, the team will be delighted we exceeded your expectations and we hope to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'd say this hotel is quirky it is ideally located for the New Forrest and the Beaulieu Motor Museum (purpose of our visit). We didn't eat in the restaurant preferring the bar, with its log fire and good food. My grumble would be paying for a chic room that didn't have a shower (Fervent), no mention of this on their website, when booking we were not advised it didn't have a shower and was in the attic - pretty shabby chic not to advise in this day and age. I complained to receptionist who agreed, I should have been advised. Instead of saying pay for a classic room price £140 they still charged full price £185!! for a room with no shower. Don't make our mistake.

1 Thank MrsGreig
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for posting a review. Your review almost reads like a 5 star one and I am glad to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Due to the listed building we do have two bedrooms that only have baths rather than showers. I feel it certainly does add to the feel and quirkiness of these particular rooms however appreciate it being personal preference. I will certainly make a note of it and see whether we can add these notes onto our website. We look forward to seeing you again at some point in the future.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

It was my husband's birthday and I had some Red Letter Day vouchers so booked before looking at Tripadvisor (not my usual course of action). I booked one night but then a week later we realised we could do two so my husband contacted the hotel by email and 24 hours later he received a response saying the extra night would cost £200. Not defeated I went back on Red Letter Days as I had another voucher and got the additional night for £69. I contacted the hotel by email with my two booking references to let them know we would like the same room both nights and having then looked at Tripadvisor asked that it wasn't a loft room. A very nice response but again 24 hours later said that was fine.

By now I'd been through Tripadvisor and looking at some of the reviews I started to worry!

We arrived at about 16.30 and the reception desk was deserted so I wandered the hotel trying to find someone, after 5 minutes without luck I went back to the reception desk and started to knock on the desk and then someone came out from the back. The initial greeting wasn't great and even later that evening the receptionist was less than warm and didn't even raise her head when we were going through to the restaurant (I would have expected at least a Good Evening). For the rest of our stay though the reception staff were very good although I do think they looked bored on occasions!

So to our room, in the wing. As we walked through the awful corridor I experienced a feeling of real dread! I'm not sure where they got the idea to paint everything a gloss brown but it gave the wing a cheap nasty feel, it was very much like student accommodation, although having said that my children's university hallways were much lighter and spacious. On entering the room the feeling of dread disappeared and I thought this isn't so bad. The room was big enough and was immaculately clean. The decor was OK although I'd have got rid of the awful wardrobe! The linens were wonderful and the bed really comfortable. The walls are thin but thankfully we were only disturbed once and that wasn't during the night. There was tea and coffee and free wi-fi.

We decided on dinner in the restaurant that night and again pleasantly suprised by the food but even more by the excellent service. Food was hot, well cooked, tasted fresh and was brought to the table by attentive pleasant staff and at exactly the right intervals so there was no long waits between courses.

Breakfast was a real treat, again excellent staff and really nice food.

On reflection I'd say this is a nice hotel, look for the deals because it's not really worth the amounts they are asking per night for the wing and enjoy - it really is in a lovely location.

4 Thank Janeb
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. It is disappointing to read that you had expected a bad experience with us and you based your review on that initial perspective. I can assure you that my team always strive to offer guests a positive experience when staying with us.
Lancing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Firstly, the location (it's actually at Bucklers Hard) is to die for, surrounded by lush, green countryside, being divebombed by swallows or swifts (i'm not exactly sure) with the Beaulieu river in the background. I can't really understand the negative reviews, yes, it could do with some money spending on it, but that could be said of a lot of hotels.

The food was reasonably priced, and excellent quality and where possible locally sourced. The bar was reasonably priced, with a fair selection of ales and lagers, the restaurant was a little expensive for wine, but hey, you got what you paid for. The service in the restaurant was attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The eggs benedict for breakfast is an absolute must!

The reception staff were warm and welcoming. We stayed in a luxury room which was stunning, with a huge four poster (worth the extra money). The room was called 'Victorious', which is how we felt staying here. The view from our window was straight across the Beaulieu river with dozens of yachts bobbing about. The bed was sooo comfortable, it's a shame it wouldn't fit in my suitcase. Shower was excellent and nearly blew you out of the room, once I realised you had to switch the pump on!

To summarise, this is a quirky, old, (1700's), gorgeous hotel, it's not the Grand in Brighton, but then you're not paying grand prices. Go see for yourselves and take it for what it is. Ignore the haters....give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a luxury room in the main building. You get what you pay for.
6 Thank SunHunter_1
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Many thanks for posting such a great review. It is refreshing and rewarding for the entire team to hear such positive feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back to Buckler’s Hard.
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here overnight, we weren't in the main hotel we were placed in an outbuilding, which could be reached under a covered walk way. The location is such that it could be so much more, the rooms are compact and basic, akin to a pub B & B.

We ate a meal in the restaurant in the evening, the service and food was very good, likewise breakfast was a fair spread, although the Full English was economically sized portions.

All in all a very basic, tired hotel in a beautiful setting.

1 Thank worldtravellers97
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write an on-line review. I thank you for your mostly positive comments which will be shared amongst the team. I am delighted you said that the service and food were both very good. Your expression of “basic and tired” is unfortunately non-specific and therefore difficult to comment on. I thank you for your feedback and look forward to seeing you back at some point in the future.
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is in a fabulous setting and really should be a gem. However, it is over priced, fairly tired and the rooms near to the carpark are very noisy. The hotel could really do with a cash injection to bring it up to date, it could then command an even higher rate I'm sure but right now I'd say it is a bit of rip off. Shower was a bit poor but OK, but they make up for it with the nice Fig Tree toiletries. Breakfast was very good I have to admit, and the staff pretty attentive too. Come on Master Builders - get into the modern world and you'll be amazing. I would hate to see this hotel go down the pan.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms next to the carpark
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank EscapedNorthernBird
Damir T, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for posting a review. We do come to our end of season now and will be looking at each room individually and proceed with necessary changes. Thank you for your comments on our staff which will certainly be shared with the team and help boost morale. We look forward to seeing you back.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We booked a two night stay at this hotel and we were so dissapointed with the hotel, we cancelled the second night and stayed somewhere else. The website makes the hotel look lovely, but in reality parts of it are more like a glorified Travel Inn, but it could be amazing with a few major changes. We checked in early evening and the receptionist looked quite scruffy considering she was the face of the hotel & the first person you encounter (greasy hair scrawped up, no make up, awful uniform - not her fault!) We did book the day before so we knew we were in a basic room, but we have never stayed in such an oppresive dark depressing room. (we do lots of travel in this country!) its not even what could be described as oldy-worldy, the furniture is painted dark blue & dark grey with big chips out of the tops, the walls are a mix between dark blue, brown & a dark beige (which suddenly changed halfway up one wall as if not finished) with one tiny window. The interior designer is in the wrong job! the bathroom taps & shower head were dirty with built up grime & limescale and the carpet looked like it needed a good clean. We were kept awake from 3.00am because of the guy next door snoring, not his fault, but the walls were so thin you could hear conversations in the next room! we went for a drink in the bar later on & were sat on a table full of someones dinner crumbs with a helping of chips scattered around out feet. Again the interior design dismal!
This hotel and restaurant is situated right in the heart of the marina so it has a captive audience, WHY ARE YOU NOT TAKING A BIG ADVANTAGE OF THIS??? Change the decor (yes it can still be quirky keeping features) but the colour scheme needs a big overhaul. The only thing that was good about our stay was the breakfast the next morning. The food was lovely and the staff looked the part and were very pleasant. this is why i truly believe if some changes were made the place could be a gem.
I have noted that in response to some of the other reviews the owner/manager has stated some of the comments made by previous guests will be looked at but as far as we could see nothing has been changed. More fool you is all i can say!!

2 Thank evav0u
Thank you for taking the time to posting a review. We do take your comments seriously and will certainly share your feedback with the appropriate departments. We will certainly look into the colour schemes in our annexe building even though colours and interior design can be part of personal preference. I hope you will pay us another visit in the future and we can convince you of our efforts to make this place really special.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Montagu Arms Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,550 reviews
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to The Master Builder's House Hotel? Share your experiences!