“A Birthday weekend treat”
Review of Beaulieu Hotel

Beaulieu Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Beaulieu
Reviewed April 28, 2014

On arrival at The Beaulieu Hotel we had a warm greeting and once in our room found it very clean and very spacious, we had booked a slightly better room than we could have had and certainly wasn't disappointed. We had missed lunch so went into The Drift Inn which is connected to the hotel and had a lovely lunch. Dinner in the restaurant later was extremely disappointing not any atmosphere certainly not an exciting menu and when it arrived even less interesting. We were booked on BBE rate so not so happy about the choices, New Forest Breakfast in the morning was a let down with fatty undercooked bacon and sausages.
There was a wedding on which we were aware of but we were able to sit quietly in the hotel bar which was very enjoyable and found our evening meal was to be served in there which pleased us as it was a nice room. My steak was lovely but lacked the finishing touches, my husband had pie of the day...chicken and mushroom. Well I should have taken a picture it was a joke..the smallest fluted pastry bottom a little filling and a piece of anaemic puff pastry shoved on top and a few bits of veg no gravy..
We would have stayed in there afterwards for a drink but no staff at the bar as they were busy with the wedding made it impossible to get served so finished off in The drift Inn where the staff are all so friendly and helpful. We found out we were able to have our meals there and not just in the restaurant You live and learn. Breakfast was fantastic and huge LOVELY
We would go again as it's a lovely hotel and 99% of the staff were cheerful and helpful only the restaurant let them down but The Drift Inn made up for it . We had a good weekend down in the new Forest ..on leaving the hotel we did speak to the manager with our concerns over lack of bar staff and food which he took great interest and even took notes..we did say there was only one member of staff that was abrupt the rest were so helpful and pleasant

Room Tip: Agister rooms bit and very clean
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 24, 2014

After researching for several hours I decided to book this hotel for bank holiday weekend. I called to book and was quoted £309.40 for 2 nights with dinner & breakfast.
We arrived on the first night at midnight as previously discussed at time of booking. Someone would be waiting for us to arrive and let us in. We were greeted my the manager of the hotel upon arrival who was very friendly & welcoming. He showed us to our room and even helped with our luggage. We stayed in one of the garden rooms. It was very average not luxury as stated on their website. Room was dirty you could obviously see a wet muddy dog had been in the room previously. The windows were filthy inside and out, could barely see out of them. And bed sheets stained. On arrival to breakfast the next morning, we had a 'buffet' consisted of juice, cereal & fruit. We then could order cooked breakfast from the menu. The only cooked breakfast on the menu was The New Forest Breakfast, which we ordered 2 of. Also tea & toast. First to arrive was the cooked breakfast (1 greasy cheap sausage, 1 small rasher of bacon, half of a cherry tomato!,one greasy egg & 14 baked beans (to be precise)!!! The size of the breakfast was ridiculous, actually laughable! Wouldn't even fill my 5 year old daughter up!! After finishing our 'breakfast' still no tea or toast??? Had to ask for it?? My partner was still hungry and wanted another breakfast but felt too embarrassed to ask!! Anyway had a lovely day exploring the beautiful new forest and returned back to the hotel in time for dinner. Not sure why we bothered! Was given a menu (if your dinner is included in your room rate most dishes have a supplement you have to pay extra for). Ordered drinks......waited 20mins for them. Upon booking the hotel I informed the hotel my partner has a dairy allergy. When ordering from the menu the waiter had no idea what contained dairy and what didn't. Was told the mackerel didn't have any dairy......it arrived covered in dairy! Asked for sardines with no dairy.......got mushrooms with dairy!!! Give up and ordered the steak (£4 supplement) & sausages, mash & peas for myself. Steak was disgusting the worse steak I've ever tasted!! I think they had boiled it as it was the same colour as pork?? Sausages were left over from breakfast covered in oil, mash half hot half cold straight from the microwave. Peas nice!!
Didn't even stay for dessert. We then resided to our room for the night. Was fine until we got woken up by someone shouting outside our room at 8am. Upon looking realised it was actually the chef smoking and having an argument with his wife on the telephone!! Nice! On the upside we had horses outside our window grazing on the grass!! Again went for breakfast, remembered our tea & toast this time. Then on checking out I asked to speak to the manager and told him everything that I mentioned above, he was very nice and offered to deduct £40 from our bill. I said thank you and appreciated his gesture of goodwill. I then checked my bill only to discover that 3 cokes, 2 lemonades, wine & water was added to my bill??? We had no drinks with our meal only the jug of water on our table. This was then deducted. I do not think this hotel is as nice as it looks on the website and is very average, and is not worth the money I paid. I expected more for over £150 per night. The hotels location is beautiful and views amazing. But that's about it. Very average, nothing special certainly not as luxury as it looks on their website!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Beaulieu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you for your review and comments regarding your recent stay at the Beaulieu Hotel. This is not our usual level of service and I will ensure that further staff training is implemented in the areas required.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

My wife, two children and dog stayed in a suite recently and were very impressed by the excellent service and fantastic food. The dinning room is at the back of the hotel with a view of the garden and we mentioned that it would be nice if there was a view of the New Forest ponies; without any fuss the staff very kindly laid a dinner table in the front bar meaning the dog could eat with us and enjoy the views. The food was excellent; I can recommend the specials which change daily and have delights such as local lamb and Guinea Fowl. In summary a great location, excellent service and brilliant food; what more could you want?

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed here as two mums with two small children as part of a Peppa Pig World package. We had the adjoining rooms (28 and 29) in the annexe. I cannot fault this hotel although we did feel a little out of place with two children in the restaurant for dinner. When we asked to move to the bar area we were accommodated.
I have fallen in love with this small hotel and cannot wait to bring my husband back for a longer stay later this spring. The rooms are really cosy and spotlessly clean and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Most importantly the food is excellent!
Really fabulous location with the horses and donkeys right outside the front door.

1  Thank mizuro
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I took my mum here for a Mother's Day 3 course meal and coffee package yesterday and we were very pleasantly surprised. It was absolutely delicious and the table service was top notch. We tried the Chicken Liver Parfait with toast and chutney (which was extremely tasty), the Chicken Breast and the Pork Loin for main (both cooked beautifully) and then the creme brulee. This was by far our favourite course as we're both dessert lovers. It was served with a mini doughnut finger and rhubarb jam - which was amazing! I would definitely recommend eating here as it was really very tasty, lovely service and very reasonably priced.

We ate in one of the rooms overlooking the garden although we weren't sat close enough to the window to see the lovely view. It was bright and airy and mum was eyeing up the nice chandelier for most of our meal! We had a quick look around the reception area at the front of the hotel which had lovely fireplaces (again, mum liked these!) and cosy seating areas which I can imagine would be lovely for afternoon tea.

The only downside was there was a bit of a mixup when it came to paying. When I booked late last week, the lady took a £10 deposit over the phone but this wasn't showing on the hotel's computer. None of my card details were either even though I gave these over the phone and authorised payment. I didn't want to be stung with an extra £10 fee so questioned this and the girl was very happy to take £10 off our final bill just to be sure. I was very thankful but will feel incredibly guilty if the £10 didn't actually get taken as we had an absolute wonderful meal :s

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We held our wedding reception at the Beaulieu hotel in March 2014, and stayed over a couple of nights. We were extremely impressed by their professionalism, and they made it a special day to remember. The food was delicious and they made a real effort to personalise the menu to our requirements. The hotel rooms were spacious, clean and well decorated. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, and it is a great choice for a wedding.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Have not stayed here, but have eaten in The Drift Inn, a very good country pub, with good food and beers/ wine. Good location for walks in the New Forest. Can get busy, but easy to park across the road.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#4 of 8 in Lyndhurst
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
#2 of 2 in Woodlands

Been to Beaulieu Hotel? Share your experiences!