“Great hotel....great location...Want visitors to return? Need to pull their socks up.Dog allowed”
Review of Beaulieu Hotel

Beaulieu Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Beaulieu
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Drove straight from Hertfordshire to the hotel arriving at 8am on Sunday morning. Turning into the hotel I was disappointed with the first impression, the grubby appearance of the buildings and grounds. Entering the building, I was warmly welcomed into the hotel by the receptionist and offered a hot drink. I was not due to check in until 2pm but had arrived early for a walk with my dog and would be waiting for the Tour Guide to arrive. I checked in later at around 3pm and was shown my room. The best rooms are those away from the back of the hotel whereby the railway line passes and away from the hot swimming pool. The room was standard if not dated but the power shower was magical. I had booked in for dinner, bed and breakfast. The food is awful. The ingredients are cheap, boiled frozen veg with your luke-warm dinner. I sent it back and the same dinner arrived again but this time hard as a rock and microwaved. There is no need for a chef when frozen veg is being served to paying customers. The menu was the same all week with only the specials changing daily. The choices are limited and the plastic breakfast food heated up , there is no wow with their food more of a yuk. I asked if I could eat the breakfast and dinner at the Drift Inn next door but this would not be possible. The food in the bar next door is fabulous and the range of freshly cooked produce is evident by a packed out restaurant throughout the day. Dogs are allowed in both restaurants. I was not surprised to hear that returning guests book on a room only basis. Noise within the hotel was an issue. I was woken up before 6am by the slamming of the corridor fire doors. The noise issue surrounds the slamming of fire doors in the corridor, drunks, passing trains on the main line behind the hotel and the creaking of floorboards and the banging on the radiator in the early hours. Armed with my earplugs and ear muffs I was able to manage some of the wakening sounds. The issue of squeaky floorboards and doors should have been addressed. The dog was well catered for and the stay overall was good but the niggles need to be addressed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Denise S
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Beaulieu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

I am sorry to read of your disappointment with the meals during your stay. Our restaurants are AA Rosette Awarded, so I am concerned about your comments of frozen veg and plastic breakfast! I will ensure the Executive Head Chef is made away of your feedback so that he can investigate further and implement staff training where required. Being an old building, creaky floorboards etc are part of the character of the hotel and are difficult to avoid. I am pleased you and your dog overall had a good stay, despite the niggles mentioned, and I hope you will return for another visit in the future.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed with friends for a weekend. The rooms could definitely do with a refurb, and a better fan would be of use. The staff were very friendly and the meal on the Friday was good in the hotel restaurant. Saturday's evening meal was very disappointing. There was only one member of staff working in the restaurant as there was a wedding taking place. We were not offered bread or get the wine we had ordered until after our starter. I had to send my main course back twice, once for being terribly overcooked and the second time for being cold (I think the meat had been defrosted in a microwave and then not cooked for long enough). Breakfast was ok on both days, even though there could be a wider choice of fruit. This was not our first stay here, the surrounding area the hotel is located in is beautiful and there are some wonderful walks into the forest. We were offered a book two nights get one free voucher on departure, I am not sure that we will be using it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MV1961

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. As you are aware, this is not our usual level of service and I will ensure your comments are forwarded to the general manager so that he can investigate further. I do hope you will consider giving us another chance to provide you with an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I got married here 23rd August 2013 and had the most perfect day.
We picked the hotel because of its quirkiness and the down to earth employees, it's cute, deceptive in size with beautiful grounds. Perfect for us and the wedding we had chosen.
We dealt with Luci throughout the booking, who was amazing. Always responded to emails we sent and returned phone calls, nothing was too much trouble.
I stayed the night before the wedding with my parents, sister and her family. Everyone at the hotel was willing to do whatever they could to help us, nothing seemed too much trouble. They all work long hours and very hard but this was never apparent. They took the time to talk to us and ensure we were happy and were incredibly polite.
Every aspect of our day was discussed and explained to us, with Luci actually having to give us reminders of what we needed to do, again never too much trouble for her. She even made a call the day we were arriving to check how we were, explain what had been done and ask if there was anything we would like doing as her shift was ending before I was arriving.
The general manager, Peter, and trainee manager, Dani, looked after us when we arrived and made sure everything was as we had requested. They took the time to talk to us, even though they were incredibly busy with guests staying/arriving for the bank holiday weekend.
The food was delicious, we ate in the restaurant the night before the wedding, and breakfast both mornings. Our wedding meal was perfect, BBQ with all locally sourced meats and there was more than enough.
Rooms are cosy, clean and comfortable.
Yes the walls are thin, and the floor boards creek but its an old building which is beautiful and has character.
Perfect for the intimate wedding we wanted. Massive thanks to all at The Beaulieu Hotel for making our day perfect.
Mr & Mrs Robinson

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I sympathise with the reviewer about not being told about there being a Wedding Party. Too many hotels display a degree of greed in taking these bookings and then ignoring their normal bread and butter customers who often suffer significant noise and behaviour issues. It has happened to us in the past, so you can imagine our concern when we found that there was a wedding on the first night of our stay. However, our experience was OK, as our room was in the annex over the pub, so noise was not a problem. The hotel was still offering dinner (they had set up tables in the bar lounge area) but we ate in the pub. Our room was very good, being large and well furnished and decorated, with a very good bathroom and a shower powerful enough to strip varnish! The nearby trains were a bit of a problem, less so on the second night as we became used to them. The staff came over well, with polite and prompt service. All in all, we had a good experience here, but again, I strongly agree with the points made elsewhere about advising customers about wedding events.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed with our two sons for one night. While the hotel was clean, with basic facilities they had not warned us they were hosting a wedding. This meant we could not eat in the hotel, but had to go to the pub next door. We then had thumping music below our room. While seeking sanctuary in the bar we were joined by every child at the wedding, who thought it was a great places to play. The manager did find another room for the boys, but that mean they were not with us or even next to us. However, we thought it was their best chance for sleep and they are old enough to use phones and lock doors, etc. The manager did take money off the bill, but make sure you check as we simply would not have stayed if we had been told and could have got a good night’s sleep somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank RealWomen

I am sorry you were disturbed by the wedding during your stay. We do inform guests at time of booking of weddings and try to allocate rooms for non wedding guests away from the function room, however this is not always possible. I am pleased to read that the hotel staff tried to assist you by moving rooms for you.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here one night with my friend and found it average but not in a bad way had read reviews on here prior to booking so had an idea. Rooms a little cramped for two, even though twin beds rather on the narrow size,made better by comfy mattresses . Bathroom walls very thin so could hear everything ! Creaky floorboards and could hear movement upstairs and next door but not enough to disturb you once asleep.
Breakfast good and service good, staff were friendly and attentive which made up for any other little niggles we had.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mark W
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Beaulieu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. I am pleased you had a comfortable stay with us and found the staff, food and service to be good! I hope you will return for another visit in the future!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is really poor it tries to be something its not the service is adequate but for what you are paying for i would have expected better. The room was very basic and the food was also not great . The only thing going for this hotel is its location which is amazing . This hotel was a very big disappointment and greatly overpriced.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nodnok

I am sorry you felt disappointed by your stay. Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to review your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#7 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Bartley Lodge Hotel
Bartley Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cadnam

Been to Beaulieu Hotel? Share your experiences!