“Nice fresh food”

The Royal Oak
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Beaulieu
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Royal Oak is a family run historic pub set in the New Forest. It offers an excellent range of real ales and ciders, as well as lovely homemade food and desserts. The pub is near to local attractions such as Beaulieu motor museum, Lepe beach and Exbury gardens. Great for family, the beer garden and childrens play area offers a great resting point for days out.
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Visited today with friends after walking around Exbury Gardens. By the way gardens absolutely stunning - azaleas & rhododendrons fantastic - camellias not at their best. Anyway, I digress - we had walked for hours and were ready for sustenance. Never visited the Royal Oak before but we were all hungry and this was the first pub we found. We sat in the garden as the sun was shining- making the most of good bank holiday weather - and ate our ploughmans. The salad was fresh - no curling lettuce leaves - the bread was warm and crusty - the pickle was sharp and fruity and the cheese was full bodied and tasty. Although the pub was very busy the meal was served quickly by polite bar staff. Not a cooked meal as such but what we had was very nice and we would probably return if passing that way again.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Oak

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Ate here last night with my father who is visiting. It was a busy Tuesday night.

The food was delicious and of ample portion size. There is a good choice on the menu and on the specials board and also lots of vegetarian choices.

Friendly atmosphere and service, pleasant location. Good to see they have a 5 star hygiene rating as well.

Have never had a bad experience at the Royal Oak and we look forward to returning soon.

1  Thank summerjazz
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

My aim, as ever, is to give a factual review. Please click if you find it useful.

Went on a weekday lunchtime with friends. The place is old fashioned inside and appeared to be busy with alot of older people. The menu wasn't great and did struggle to find something to order. Plumped for fish and chips as its quite hard to mess that up. Or is it? Batter soggy and chips left alot to be desired. Not for the hard working 30/40 somethings, maybe just good for older local men sat at the bar....

Please click if you found this useful.

4  Thank 1hampshiregirl
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

£55 it cost for 2 adult mains - 2 childrens meals - 4 pints - 2 kids drinks - & 4 scoops of ice cream ???!!!!!

1  Thank birdieofhythe
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had course to return to the New Forest recently and decided to pay a visit to the Royal Oak again after my previous visit in 2011.

As I mentioned previously in my first review, I would not eat there again due to the high priced meals and ok if your a lover of fish, as nearly everything on their special board is fish or dishes dreamed up by the cook!. However before I visited I noted that pub has their own website now that states ' We have the best food around '. please don't kid yourselves!

I was pleased once again though to be greeted by the friendly bar staff who make you feel welcome and have time to wish you goodbye on your exit. Sadly not many establishments do this these days.

The drink however has increased sharply in price since my last visit, not very economical if you were in a round!

As mentioned previously, nice to visit for a drink but it's a shame the menu and imagination of dishes has not improved.

3  Thank Kevin P