“Great food, wonderful setting - slightly erratic service”

The Terrace Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Beaulieu
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Holding a Michelin Star for 5 years running, we believe in providing only exquisite dining and excellent service. We are not ones for passing fads, every ingredient has to deserve its place in our dishes. No gimmicks, Just great food.
London, UK
“Great food, wonderful setting - slightly erratic service”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I don't know about you, but rightly or wrongly I always relate things to how well they lived up to expectations.

So I end up giving the same rating to a fish and chip shop as to a fancy restaurant if they were both a pleasant surprise.

This restaurant is in a lovely old building in a picturesque village by the river. The day we went the weather was glorious; the garden where we had our aperitifs was beautiful and the service was friendly.

The previous day we had been to Hartnett & Co at Lymewood Hotel, which was hard to fault. But they didn't have a Michelin Star - this place did. We wondered how they could be better.

They weren't. The food was as good, and slightly less expensive. But the service let them down. There was a gap of about 25 minutes between the first course (excellent) and the second. That really ruins a meal for me.

I know service is amazingly hard to manage - but if you have a Michelin Star - well.

• Visited June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
“Over-rated”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This restaurant has a Michelin star and although the food was good, it wasn't outstanding and the whole ambiance was so pretentious. Very expensive and not worth it.

Visited July 2013
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Nice work Chef!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Was taken to The Terrace last night for my birthday dinner. Kicked off with a glass of chilled pink champagne in the lovely garden then opted for the taster menu with paired wines. Seven courses with three starters, two mains and two desserts with wine to suit. Ham hock terrine to start was ok then the diver caught scottish scallops with cauliflower puree, apple coriander and cumin veloute were outstanding (with 2012 Chilean Sauvignon Blanc). Actually that should be 'scallop' because there was only one but it was tender and tasty with the cumin and coriander creating a dreamy mix of flavours. The idea of the taster menu was that the waiter describes the dishes when they are brought to the table but these descriptions were either mumbled quietly or reeled off quickly mostly in a thick Hungarian accent. So we kept having to ask them to repeat which was a bit annoying for everyone. Confit rabbit black pudding and potato terrine with toasted brioche, liver parfait and crispy bon bon (with 2012 Cote du Rhone) was fine and the Roast Organic Welsh Lamb with roasted aubergine, grilled vegetables, lamb falafel and crispy potatoes (with 2010 Aussie Shiraz) was beautifully cooked and delicious. Cheese (and a chardonnay) followed by lemon meringue pie with poached oranges and basil sorbet (with 2009 Jurancon) then warm salted caramel fondant (WOW!) with creme fraiche and cider lolly sorbet (with 2010 Muscat St Jean) were both wonderful.
We were surprised there were no fishy dishes and the wine was also slightly disappointing (and pricey for what we had) though we could have opted for the 'exquisite' wine list which was quite a lot more expensive. The food was exceptional and they gave us a special print out of what we'd had, which is why I can roll it out expertly here otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue! Very nice evening, good food. Service slightly ragged at the edges but it was extremely hot. Ideal for a special occasion

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My mother and I visited the restaurant at The Montagu Arms and had two courses from the Table D'hote menu. We both had the perfectly cooked lamb dish with greens and garlic potatoes in a beautiful Madeira sauce- simply but elegantly presented. The homemade breads were delightful- perfectly sized and interestingly flavoured- including one with fennel seeds. For dessert, we both had the pear and raspberry tart with raspberry sorbet- which was absolutely delicious! Crisp, thin pastry and moist unctuous almond filling- though it was perhaps a slightly too large a slice of tart (or in my mother's opinion- not enough sorbet to go with it!) The coffee was excellent and the petit fours unashamedly decadent and delicious!
The service was excellent- friendly and attentive without being at all over-bearing and the restaurant itself was beautiful decorated and spacious- we also had a lovely stroll through the gardens.

Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not Quite Up to Scratch”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Unfortunately the Terrace did not quite live up to what I expect from a Michelin Star restaurant.

I really wanted my wife and I to try the tasting menu as it did look exceptional. My wife is vegetarian so I asked if the meat parts of the tasting dish for her could be subsituted for vegetables instead. The service staff said that the chef could not accommodate for this despite the restaurant not being overly busy.

This was a shame as my experiences of other Michelin-rated restaurants is that the chef is always happy to work around a customer's requirements. This was especially disappointing as we had told them in advance, and when we arrived and even saw the note in their appointments book stated my wife had vegetarian requirements.

As a result, we missed out on the tasting menu and instead we opted for a straight three course meal. The meal was good, I cannot deny that. However, it wasn't superb which is what Michelin dining should be about. I have had similar meals of this quality at standard restaurant.

We also asked for advice on the wine menu from the sommelier. Whilst I didn't doubt his credentials, he suggested the most expensive wine from each of the categories with no real reasons for why it would complement our meal - so I didn't really entirely trust his advice. It was kind of like asking a car sales man what car he recommended from his forecourt - the most expensive one of course!

On the plus side, the garden was beautiful and we sat out there after the meal to enjoy our wine. Overall though, we won't be going again and I don't think I would recommend the Terrace as the money you pay isn't really worth what it should be.

1 Thank JollyBodger