“Fascinating but...”

Beaulieu National Motor Museum
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Beaulieu
More attraction details
Owner description: In the heart of the glorious New Forest, Beaulieu is one of the South's top visitor attractions. Here you will find the National Motor Museum, home to over 250 vehicles telling the history of motoring. You can also visit Palace House and Gardens, home of the Montagu family since 1538, the remains of Beaulieu Abbey and World of Top Gear where you can see some of the vehicles from Jeremy, James and Richard's most ambitious challenges. Ride on the high level Monorail or climb aboard the replica 1912 open top London bus for a fun way to see Beaulieu's sights.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Beautiful old house and grounds, lovely to wander and nose around.

Loved the main museum too, I mean who wouldn't? Fascinating exhibits and you couldn't get a much more comprehensive, hands on history of world motoring. You turn every corner and its just... wow! Just disappointed by the other exhibits. Outdoor exhibits and Top Gear in particular were really disappointing... I think that that was maybe meant to be the point but it just came over as a bit well, uncaring.

Worth a visit but not £20 each. Sorry, wanted to be effusive in my praise...

Write a ReviewReviews (4,718)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Arrived there at 10.15 and there was a small queue to get in but it soon went. Had a nice snack and a drink as we got there in pleasant and clean surroundings.
The car museum wasn't as extensive as I had hoped was the displays were interesting. The house, abbey and gardens as with the car museum were very well turned out and maintained in a good clean standard.
All in all a good half day out!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I went to Beaulieu Motor Museum as a child and had great memories of going on the Monorail, and seeing the "Great Big House". I wasn't interested in the cars at the time, that was my dad's thing.
SO, whilst I was visiting the New Forest recently, I thought I would relive those memories. I really wished I hadn't. The monorail was a very short ride, certainly not as long a ride as I remembered. Even my husband thought it was a longer ride from his memory, so we wondered if the rail had been shortened over the years. That was the 1st disappointment. We then went on to see the cars, which were quite interesting, as I now like Top Gear and 007 films, and there was a special on that showed Top Gears Challengers Cars and 007 Sports car. I did enjoy that, so we then decided to visit the coffee shop. Yuk!! Coffee was like hot water and nothing else, the cake slice was hard and stale, so that was the next disappointment.
Finally, we went to have a look at the Montagu House, and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since my last visit some 30 odd years ago. If you have allergies to dust, do not enter, or at least enter at your own risk. Boring! Boring! Boring! That is all I can say. The trees around the lake had more character.
We didn't have time to see the Abbey Ruins, as the place shuts at 5pm which is strange for summer hours. So we ended up in the gift shop with 5 minutes to spare. A few interesing things in the shop, but too expensive considering you've paid £20 each to get in. 5pm came and the staff were keen to get you out of the shop!
I would not go back, and my memories have been shattered. If you go, please take a packed lunch!!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We live very near to Beaulieu and due to our HHamembership can afford to visit often.The museum and house never fail to entertain and it is to be recomended to anyone the least bit interested in vehicles..Even if not, your children and you, will be enchanted by the monorail and the oldLlondon bus.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We went here in the Easter holidays and had a fantastic day out. There are lots of interesting things to see and do here, for all ages. The Bond in Motion and the Top Gear Exhibition were very interesting, We loved everything about it, from the monorail to the Palace House and Abbey.